SOTD: Saturday April 8 - Friday 14 April 2023.

SOTD 14-Apr
20230413_145131-01.jpeg
Brush: Dogwood DG B16
Soap: A&E Tobacco Road
Razor: CG Gen 1 Lvl 3
Blade: Schick TC SS (1)

Forewarning, I'm crap with describing and picking up on scents...

On a bit of a tobacco kick at the moment, I've enjoyed all the tobacco scents I've tried amongst them being Cognac & Cuban, Full Measure of Man, and the more subtle Novelist. Sadly the Mrs can't stomach the more in your face scents so that kicked out C&C (it was the strength on this one not the scent itself) and FMOM but she loved The Novelist. So I've gone down the slightly more toned down route picking up Haverford, Vanille de Tabac and this Tobacco Road.

This one for me sits somewhere between Haverford (a little closer to this) and The Novelist in terms of tobacco pungency. Now I know that word has negative connotations, but I'm using it to differentiate between the likes of FMOM where you're nigh on snorting a tobacco pouch to the other end of the spectrum where you get the subtle waft of the scent on the breeze such as Novelist.

This one is an out and out winner for me, the soap base is very good, easy lather with very good slickness. But with my water, for the most part, I can get a decent enough lather out of a brick. So where this wins me over is the scent, especially from the splash, absolutely stunning and rounds it off nicely. I can't speak to longevity yet but it's been about an hour and it's still hanging in there very well. I'm kicking myself that I didn't pick up the EDP at the same time.

Sorry for the ramble and hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
SOTD 20230414.
lpGpoNa.jpg

Proraso pre-shave cream (green).
Semogue 1250.
T.O.B.S. "Lime Zest" shaving cream.
SSSeygus "Extrem" SB razor.
Racer Super Stainless (2).
Boğaziçi Lime EdC.

14/04/23
Pre - Droyt's Classic Glycerose Soap
Brush - Simpson Wee Scot Best Badger
Soap - Droyt's Classic Glycerine Shaving Soap
Razor - Feather WS-D2
Blade - Brazilian Wilkinson Sword
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 Rose
Wk 15 (7).JPG
Up and out to the the gym early this morning getting there for 5.30am, done and dusted then home for an earlier than usual shave.
1st time use of the Droyt's Shave soap bar, today it was given the challenge of lathering up with the Wee Scot. I just dampened the the brush and ran it around the soap, pretty quickly it was producing a pro-lather, then transferring to the chops for a face lather, dipping and swirling as i went. It has produced a pretty good, lightly scented, citrusy lather and seems to take a good amount of water, although i did not think i would have had enough for a second pass.
The 1st pass was fine with no issues.
For the second pass i rubbed the bar around the shave area and built the lather up from there, this seemed to work much better, it took a lot of water and the little brush was full to bursting. Now then i am not sure if it was the early morning weather but i did seem to get some irritation on the high cheekbones and top lip? i have never had a reaction to any soap before. As the little brush was still full i went for a 3rd pass finishing with a very smooth finish.
A nice post shave routine finishing with the 4711 Rose, again i got some indication on the cheekbones and top lip, nothing major but it was there.
I will give the soap bar another couple of run outs soon using a normal size synth and badger brush.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
Friday 14 April

The origins of Ever-Ready and The American Safety Razor Co. from Kampfe Bros. and GEM Cutlery Co. are well documented by RK Waits in his Safety Razor Compendium so I won’t attempt to reproduce any of it here. Suffice to say that the lather catcher I used today has distinct links to the wedge bladed Kampfe Star but has morphed into the Ever-Ready Yankee model dating from about 1905/06 using a single-edge rib-back blade which is still made today as the GEM.
Whilst the razor should take the modern GEM without modification I found that the blade rode the blade stops (100 years of wear and tear) due to the strong clip securing it. So I de-spined it and added a 3D wedge. Which is how you can use Star razors if you don’t want to or can’t hone the original steel wedges.

Soap and brush quickly produced soft creamy lather then on with the E-R. The razor is very light and keeping a flat angle is important but it doesn’t need a lot of pressure with a new blade in place. The handle is short (there are extension pieces for honing) but it was not a problem for my small mitts to deliver two trouble free passes wtg and atg plus pick ups. Obviously a good shave is a lot about the blade and the ubiquitous GEM never fails to deliver, even in this old hoe bad boy. If you taped a GEM to an old stick it would probably still work ok, not that I’m suggesting anyone tries it :rolleyes:

Have a great day fellas!

B9CEC82A-1D35-47BC-A050-276C92B55130.jpeg

20230414_140757.jpg

I wasn't going to shave today as I usually give my face a rest 1 day per week. But, I'm off out tonight so here we go...

I've not used these blades before.

20230414_140420.jpg

I loaded one up in the R41GS and set off for my usual two passes. Not sure what I think of this blade yet. It seemed pretty smooth but maybe not that sharp. It has left my face as smooth as only an R41 can though, so I'll see how it lasts through the week.

20230414_141013.jpg

I ran over my face with the alum to see what feedback I would get. It seems that it was all good. Minimal stinging. Not bad. I only bought them as I liked the picture! :)

20230414_144425.jpg

View attachment 103970

I wasn't going to shave today as I usually give my face a rest 1 day per week. But, I'm off out tonight so here we go...

I've not used these blades before.

View attachment 103971

I loaded one up in the R41GS and set off for my usual two passes. Not sure what I think of this blade yet. It seemed pretty smooth but maybe not that sharp. It has left my face as smooth as only an R41 can though, so I'll see how it lasts through the week.

View attachment 103972

I ran over my face with the alum to see what feedback I would get. It seems that it was all good. Minimal stinging. Not bad. I only bought them as I liked the picture! :)

View attachment 103973
If you see this man do not approch him, just call 999. :)

Sorry,I couldn't help myself!

Paul..

Back
Top Bottom