SOTD : Saturday 8 th - Friday 14th |February 2020

This evening had me shaved using the theme 'Pseudo OSP vs the brass General vs the world'

IMG_20200209_202941.jpg

A real Colonial razor - Brass General
A real SE blade - Schick Proline
A real Cad of a brush - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
A pseudo OSP soap - James Riley No. 8

And who wants the world?

This evenings shave started with a most wonderful shower using Signature Soap's Grapefruit and Ginger foaming wash. If you haven't tried @BrianH other products beyond his shaving soaps then you owe it to yourself to do so. They are exactly what you would expect.

And so another outing with the Pseudo OSP No.8. Was there ever a number seven, or a six, or any other number thinking about it? But I do like simplicity

Again a return to the Cadman on this occasion and quickly came to the conclusion the Razorock 400 makes for an easier life with this soap. Not to say the results were disappointing, in fact far from it, just took a bit more work to get there. But hey, nothing in life was meant to be easy. Especially life itself. One great bowl of lather later and ready to play. This time around I used a light dash of pre-shave oil which is something I have always done with a new SE blade. I don't know why but I find them very unforgiving on a first time out of the packet and find a touch of pre-oil goes a long way. Great face full of lather and time to apply blade. Easy as pie. An unusual expression if ever as it seems to take me hours to throw one together.

These SE's really are the quickest method of shaving I've experienced to date. Then again with a blade the width of a windscreen wiper as someone put it, so they should. Minimum effort with maximum results and these Prolines don't hang around. Given a good shaving barrier in the OSP and the results are just soooooooooo smooth and refined. The scent from the soap remains longer than the shave itself which is a welcome blessing. Throw on some of the matching aftershave splash and feeling Hellishly Heaven like. And my wife is in full agreement

A most wonderful shave and a great end to the weekend (yes this is my SOTD from last night and what is new?)

Have a most wonderful week ahead you forum folk and wish you smooth faces and whatever you parts you might shave. If you thought that was to be my musical signature for this shave then you are sadly mistaken. What else?

@James Riley has hit on a great soap here and very thankful to have been given the chance to trial. I feel very privileged and grateful

Monday AM 2020-02-10

Rooney 3/2 Ivory Finest (24/58)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil shaving cream (vintage)
Wolfman WR1-SB/UFO U2
Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
RazoRock R-160 Sweet Almond aftershave balm/Trumper West Indian Lime
6Oxu5Fs.jpg

2E97E80D-5429-489C-9C94-F0B9BC6688E2.jpeg

SOTD 02/10/20

What can I say? It's day five of what turned into another face and dome two pass, irritation-free BBS. This is the grail razor for me! All I can say is the LaResche family knew their business! Maybe it's my continued focus on MWF? Whatever it is; I'll be sticking with this divine shaving tool until first blood or boredom, whichever comes first, and given how well the shaves are going, I suspect it will be boredom.

RAZOR: LaResche 51 Luxe
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA's Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Synthetic
SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WHand finished with Florida Water AS/Cologne

SOTD 10 February 2020

Pre-shave: Warm shower; Kiehl's face fuel; Seven Potions Pre-Shave Oil - Pure Equilibrium.
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum Shaving.
Brush: Shavemac ' The Flat Top'.
Razor: Blackland Blackbird (machined).
Blade: SuperMax Super Platinum (Stainless) (Day 2).
Post: Cold water, Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum Aftershave Splash - Bioaroma Aftershave Balm.
Cologne: Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum Solid Cologne.

The Blackbird was a Christmas present; I have been looking forward to getting one for a while - it arrived Saturday, first shave Sunday. First impressions on opening the box - wow; looks amazing, feels very nice in the hand.

First shave was a slightly nervous affair. I was not sure about the angles nor how efficient/aggressive the Blackbird would be; I tried to ride the cap - decent 2 pass shave, no issues to report - alum block to finish, pleased with no feedback.

Today's shave was good (2 passes face - one pass neck). However, some redness on the neck; it came up quickly after the shave - looked like sunburn, but no sting. Not sure what I did wrong - same angle and next to no pressure during the shave.

For the Blackbird shavers out there - what angles work/don't work for you?

Cheers,

Chris

Pre - Proraso Green
Soap - Pré de Provence 63 (sample)
Scuttle - Steve Woodhead
Razor - Feather AS-D2
Blade - Astra SP (3)
Brush - Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Post - Homemade Witch Hazel with Tea Tree Oil
Balm - Nivea Sensitive
Fragrance - Dana English Leather

I'm on my final sample of soaps that I got from Shavedash before Christmas. I wanted to try some highly regarded soaps before I splash the cash. I chose MdC, SV, Wholly Kaw, PdL, B&M and today's offering PdP, all have been superb and each have their own qualities. I love the Wholly Kaw slickness and post shave feel, MdC lather ability and the B&M scent (Seville). I think though that the Pre de Provence 63 might just be my favourite as it seems so combine all the best characteristics of the others into one, I am led to believe it's quad milled too which should make it long lasting which is always a bonus to a thrifty Welshman.

This evening had me shaved using the theme 'Pseudo OSP vs the brass General vs the world'

View attachment 51289

A real Colonial razor - Brass General
A real SE blade - Schick Proline
A real Cad of a brush - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
A pseudo OSP soap - James Riley No. 8

And who wants the world?

This evenings shave started with a most wonderful shower using Signature Soap's Grapefruit and Ginger foaming wash. If you haven't tried @BrianH other products beyond his shaving soaps then you owe it to yourself to do so. They are exactly what you would expect.

And so another outing with the Pseudo OSP No.8. Was there ever a number seven, or a six, or any other number thinking about it? But I do like simplicity

Again a return to the Cadman on this occasion and quickly came to the conclusion the Razorock 400 makes for an easier life with this soap. Not to say the results were disappointing, in fact far from it, just took a bit more work to get there. But hey, nothing in life was meant to be easy. Especially life itself. One great bowl of lather later and ready to play. This time around I used a light dash of pre-shave oil which is something I have always done with a new SE blade. I don't know why but I find them very unforgiving on a first time out of the packet and find a touch of pre-oil goes a long way. Great face full of lather and time to apply blade. Easy as pie. An unusual expression if ever as it seems to take me hours to throw one together.

These SE's really are the quickest method of shaving I've experienced to date. Then again with a blade the width of a windscreen wiper as someone put it, so they should. Minimum effort with maximum results and these Prolines don't hang around. Given a good shaving barrier in the OSP and the results are just soooooooooo smooth and refined. The scent from the soap remains longer than the shave itself which is a welcome blessing. Throw on some of the matching aftershave splash and feeling Hellishly Heaven like. And my wife is in full agreement

A most wonderful shave and a great end to the weekend (yes this is my SOTD from last night and what is new?)

Have a most wonderful week ahead you forum folk and wish you smooth faces and whatever you parts you might shave. If you thought that was to be my musical signature for this shave then you are sadly mistaken. What else?

@James Riley has hit on a great soap here and very thankful to have been given the chance to trial. I feel very privileged and grateful
Thanks, as always, for your support. Regards Brian

Date:- 11 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Massacre of the Innocents (milksteak base)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #12
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Back
Top Bottom