SOTD : Saturday 8 th - Friday 14th |February 2020

8nQTNvK.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush:Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Super Iridium BN-84 (4)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Proraso Green A/S Splash
Scent: Stirling Ozark Mountain EdT

Man - what a great shave! I am indeed refreshed and invigorated.

09/02/20

Razor: Merkur Progress #2.5
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (2)
Brush: Semogue 730 HD
Soap: ES Fuar Ach Snog
Pre: Proraso Green
ASL: Floïd Vigaroso
ASB: Floïd
Scent: Bespoke Cypress and Vetiver

IMG_20200209_100120.jpg

A great shave today. The Fuar Ach Snog may be my favourite cooling shave soap/cream in my den. I love the peppermint smell and it has just the right level of cooling for me. The second GWS has also proven itself a good blade so I'm happy with the blind purchase of 50 I made. Time to test the Czech blades in the Progress - a razor that I'm really enjoying using.

Saturday 02.08.20 SOTD

DSCF0041 - Edited (1).jpg
Shugar Soapworks oatmeal & Verbena Soap lather and rinse
Gillette 1954 Z1 40s Super Speed
Gillette Nacet (1)
Yaqi Barber Pole Handle 24mm 2-Band Badger
Arko Shaving Soap puck
Old Spice Cologne Original

DSCF0041 - Edited (1).jpg

Sunday 02.09.20 SOTD

DSCF0056 - Edited (1).jpg
RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
Gillette 1953 Y3 40s Super Speed
Astra Superior Platinum (1)
RazoRock 24mm Barrel Silvertip Badger
RazoRock Mudder Focker Shave Soap
RazoRock Mudder Focker After Shaving Splash

DSCF0065 - Edited (1).jpg

Sun 9th Feb.

Cyril Salter/ MS. Ed2band
Vitos Super Red
ER "Streamline"- Ex Single Clamshell Box
Gem S/S [ 5 ]
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

After the Shave yesterday with a TNNSER, today was with a "Streamline " as users of both will know is far demanding. However, it is one of my favourites and I had no problems getting a very good shave, with a much better finish around the jawline and neck than yesterday. I think that the TNNSER would suit most SE users as it is more forgiving than a "Streamline"

IMG_0496.jpg

Sunday

RazoRock Plague Doctor
RazoRock 22mm synth
Face lather
MÜHLE R41 on iKon SS
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Thayer's Lavender and Aloe Vera
RazoRock Plague Doctor splash

I figured that if I could continue with predominately left hand shaves with an R41, I should (with care) be able to use any piece of cutlery in my arsenal.

A fine result ensued. I'm also enjoying the Plague Doctor accoutrements. The soap performs very well; and both soap and splash give a lovely post-shave feel.

The splash might not suit everyone: those that expect an after shave to have a long-lasting fragrance, for instance. But, for me, it's the skin-conditioning qualities of a post-shave splash that are more important, rather than projection. After all, (that's) surely what after shave is all about?

F6037445-3D3E-45EC-9EE3-C8C6F447E65F.jpeg

A3159526-59EA-4155-BBD6-D77B6CBBAAEF.jpeg

SOTD 02/09/20

Day nine of Wool Fat February continued with a new record for me. This is my fourth bloodless BBS with no irritation or heat revealed by the alum block. I hate to say it, but I think I've found my Grail razor! Please don't tell SWMBO, but I definitely have divided affections! Probably just a short term fling, but who knows?

Things proceeded as usual, with a cold water rinse followed by a good scrub with the PAA Preshave Cube soap, although it hasn't been a cube for months, on this beautiful sunny day in the Philly suburbs. My faithful dachshund buddy, Gromit, parked himself on the stool on SWMBO's side of the bathroom to observe. The Viking brush whipped up the initial MWF paste which was then face and head lathered to its usual thick yogurty consistency with ample application of hot water via the brush. I was on the second and final use of the second Wizamet blade in the razor. I routinely discard my blades after two shaves.

Part of me was hoping for blood, but on that first WTG pass, this incredible razor swept away those whiskers like the Romans through the Sabine women, shearing them right down to the skin line. Using the LaResche on that first pass, felt as though I was shaving without a blade. Be still my heart! It left very slight roughness around the troublesome Adam's Apple and just a bit in the middle of the back of the head. The shave could easily pass the cotton test everywhere else. My second pass, if you could call it that, consisted of relathering those two areas and buffing away the roughness. One and a half passes and Madame LaResche delivered a complete bloodless BBS for the fourth time in a row! Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash revealed a very slight sting in the buffed areas and left me feeling clean, cool, refreshed and in love! Please don't tell SWMBO!

RAZOR: LaResche 51 Luxe
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA's Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash

My Sunday Shave

Razor: Karve Brass Solid Bar D Plate. (I have bene using an E too this week, but find the D just that bit smoother)
Blade: Tiger Platinuim really enjoyed this blade in the Karve
Brush: Cadman Mph 30mm
Soap: Mdc Original
Pre: African Black Soap
ASL: Speick Active
ASB: Bart's Unscented
EDP: Dark Blue from Lidl (It is a replica of D + G Pour Homme) another 5 Euro one from Lidl

20200209_122742.jpg

Have a great day everyone.

Sotd-9-2-20.jpg

Sotd - Today - Sunday the 9th of February

Razor - ER Streamline
blade - vintage ER (who knows?)
brush - Chubby 1 best
soap - Mickey Lee Soapworks - Grand Havana - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco
balm - none needed
scent - Creed - Tabarome.

Result - difficult to imagine how that could have been better.

I wanted a change of razor - having been using the X3 slant and Rockwell in rotation since the end of last year - both mighty fine razors - but I fancied something a little less pedestrian - initially reaching for the Cobra - but I couldn't find any blades for it - Proline or Artist Club - next best thing - the Streamline. Very much a 1912 for adults - give it due respect and it will reward you with a really top end shave - two passes for bbs in this case. My first use of a soap from the Mickey Lee line - a very kind gift from a fellow member who found it borderline for his skin - he knew I am fond of a tobacco themed shave and generously offered to pass it on. This is what is in it -

Stearic Acid, Tallow, Coconut Milk, Aloe Vera Juice, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Lanolin, Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Fragrance and Essential Oils

With an ingredients list like that - the chances of it not working well for me were about none - and so it proved. Lathered without issue - the most complex tobacco scent I have used - it opens not far off bay rum and settles down to cigar leaf and vanilla - which is actually from benzoin I think - they smell kind of similar - the latter lacks the sugar sweetness of the former but in the same ballpark. Lovely. Lather stability was excellent as was slickness. The scent of the soap dovetails beautifully with the Extro aftershave - the combination made a balm unnecessary - my skin feels great - a dab of Creed Tabarome - and I smell great too. What's not to like? If you fancy the sound of the soap - that is a bit of a bummer - the company shut up shop at the end of last year - you can read about it here - https://dailylather.com/ - this site is worth a wander about - it hasn't been updated since last August but is a good resource for reviews of - mostly - American artisan software. So - job done - I can't put off any longer going and packing - I've managed to avoid the issue all day - well done me. I'm happy to be away but the mechanics of travel appall me - if Dante was writing now - airports would have a whole level of hell to themselves. Soul destroying places. On the upside - this time tomorrow I'll be in Granada - contemplating dinner - probably following my usual rules in Spain - if it once f***ed in the sea - I'll eat it. A few glasses of ice cold Manzanilla sherry to wash it down. Enjoy your week gentlemen - hasta siempre chicos - I.

@Paul L - thank you mate.

Back
Top Bottom