SOTD : Saturday 5th June to Friday 11th June 2021.

Monday 7th June

Soap • Tabac Stick
Brush • Yaqi Chianti 24mm Synthetic
Razor • Yaqi Excalibur
Blade • Kai Protouch MG (6-7?)
Post • Tabac Aftershave

Caravan shave today

That was good - As I've mentioned previously, the Excalibur can feel quite assertive, even with a mild guarded blade.
No irritation or mishap - a nice way to start the day.

No SOTD photo, but have this one on me

Drinks on Skegness Pier
Awesome enjoy your break Paul.

SOTD 07-June
20210607_155935.jpg
Prep: Warm shower
Brush: Muhle Badger
Soap: Fine Accoutrements Latigo
Razor: Razorock Hawk SS V3 'A'
Blade: Feather Pro Guard

Very quick shave this morning, brought out my old Muhle brush that hasn't seen the light of day in ages (gift from the Mrs a good while ago). The latigo lathered well offering a decent amount of glide. The pro guard I think is on its last legs but as always barts did its job admirably to compensate!

Hope everyone is having a grand day.

Cheers

Marc

small shave.jpg

It just so happens I had an afternoon shave today, and very enjoyable it was too.

I very much enjoyed using the Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353 which comes from their Gentle Shave line, which I believe is made for shavers new to DE shaving. However, pair it with a sharp Feather blade and you have a smooth yet very efficient razor. It’s so easy to find the shaving angle.

The 1353 has only two minor negatives. The base plate's corners are quite pointy, so if accidentally touch your face with a corner, you think for a moment that you may be touching the blade. Yes, they're that pointy! Second, the stainless steel handle is brilliant, but the cap and base plate are chrome plated zamak or similar. It would be great if G&F produced an all steel version.

Regardless of those two nitpicks, I like it so much I have bought a spare. That’s the first time I’ve done that with a razor. It’s almost certainly not necessary sometimes my mind works that way... ☺

As usual, the Mitchell’s Wool Fat lathered a treat and there is definitely a scent of honey in the background of the scent. It was so good, I didn’t feel the need for any post shave balm or aftershave. Lovely stuff. Ah, thinking about it, I do have a spare puck of this sitting ready for the current one expires.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves!

Razor: Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson’s Milk Churn BB
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Not needed
Bowl: Face Lather

SotD

Vintage Farina Russisch Leder - Shaving Cream.
Shavemac Limited "The Tribute" 12/94 - Shaving Brush.
Vintage Globusmann Slant - Razor.
Vintage Farina Russisch Leder - After Shave
Vintage Farina Russisch Leder - EdC

41375713tr.jpg
I really like everything about the look of all of that shaving stuff...wish it was available in the UK! (y)

Prep: Shower PAA cube.

Pre: PAA cube

Soap: Stirling Noir

Brush: Razorock Hulk

Razor: Rockwell Model T

Blade: Persona Viking Sword

Post: Alum, Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic and Baxter’s aftershave balm.
So today I decided to try and save my face and lower the settings down a bit. So I stuck on number 2 and was doing well the Viking blade as usual was doing me proud. However by the time I got to pass 3 I was lulled into a false sense of security and got a little too over confident. The outcome a couple of weepers one reopening a previous days cut and a small new one. It really is a silent ninja with little room for forgiveness but I’m not giving up just yet! I think with a little more care and accuracy on my part and hopefully I should be able to tame the T.

Attachments

• 62E6189B-F16B-4B2D-8BD0-EE5A4ADE20B6.jpeg
    62E6189B-F16B-4B2D-8BD0-EE5A4ADE20B6.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4
Sotd-07-06-21.jpg

This evening -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - R plate
blade - Gillette Yellow (3)
brush - Frank Shaving two-band 22mm
soap - Cyril R. Salter - lavender tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid Mentally Vigorous
balm - none
scent - none.

Didn't need to shave tonight but it's been a humid day and I wanted to feel properly clean and refreshed. I'd like to join my fellow members here that have flagged up the excellent Salter lavender hard soap recently. It deserves to more widely appreciated - in my opinion it is great soap - at the price point - stupidly good. The ingredients are pretty much what you might expect from an old-school hard tallow soap - it isn't going to trouble the arms race of artisan producers in their quest for increasingly bizarre sounding additives - Guatemalan jumping-spider silk, the tears of the Dalai Lama or morning harvested dew from Provence - that sort of thing. The scent of the Salter is mild but present and I find ease of lathering and post to be top notch. If you are cool with tallow soap bases then you should try it - see what you think yourself. Enjoy shaving - yours - I.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom