SOTD : Saturday 31th July to Friday 6th August July 2021.

225796540_566864294321263_5854067138193484080_n.jpg
Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap,
Soap: TDS Rose Notes
Brush: 24mm Yaqi Chianti Tuxedo
Razor: Fine Marvel
Blade: Tiger (1)

Very much a "nearly" shave. The lather was nearly slick enough, the Tiger was nearly good enough - if felt rather tuggy around my chin - and the razor itself nearly performed as I hoped. Only two days in though, so much more to get used to with this razor. Certainly my touch today was a lot lighter than yesterday, but I think there's still work to do on the angle to offset the blade gap.

Tuesday

HampFat No.1
Simpson Trafalgar T2 synth
Face lather
Gillette New (England, 1930s, 1940s)
Gillette Nacet (3)
Floïd Black

Another great shave from a vintage Gillette today. Enjoying my trek through the collection. I’m not entirely sure of the genealogy behind this New. On Achim’s site, the closest visual approximation is something called a ‘Jewellery Set’; so that’s good enough for me. Anyway, it’s a cracking piece of cutlery.

The Simpson T2 continues to impress. A 24mm knot with a smaller loft makes for an ideal face latherer; with sufficient splay too.

662F41B3-540E-4BB5-9C87-22D6825A079B.jpeg

4FAE72B5-A730-4512-8BF9-B3E42FC1956A.jpeg

Zingari Man The Merchant
Mühle Edition 2 STF
Mühle R41GT Berlin Edition

Second shave with R41 Ti paired with a Feather blade and just as good and close as the first shave.
There's not much - if any - difference between R41GS and R41GT when it comes to the actual shaving experience.
But the weight - obviously - makes a huge difference. Also the brushed/natural Ti vs SS makes a difference in grip.
I like the lighter weight of the Ti and the improved grip, both making the shaving more relaxed and enjoyable for me.

Have a nice day Gentlemen

3 August

Signature Soaps Danum
PAA The Green Ray
Gillette Adjustable E1 (4-7)
Gillette Silver Blue
Signature Soaps Danum splash

16AB132D-BC81-4C4F-8D24-ADA9C8218225.jpeg

A two pass shave this morning with the Fatboy, first pass on 4 and second on 7. The result was a close and comfortable shave, helped by the copious lather of Danum created by the Green Ray brush. Excellent stuff.

SOTD 03-Aug
View attachment 74689
Prep: Warm shower and PAA Cube
Brush: Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
Soap: Captains Choice Lime Cream
Razor: PoPo 100 6/8

A so-so shave this morning, first trial with the Lime. I should always remember to start a new soap going to the bowl rather than straight to the face, the bowl being my comfort zone. Impatience meant I only really got to the sweet spot at pass 3, lesson learnt. On top of that the PoPo definitely needs to be taken back for a refresh.

Not the best, still smooth but a little tingly!

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc
The Po Po was so so? Oh no! :LOL:

Polsilver 02.jpg

3/8/21

Pre - Unscented Soap
Razor - Old Type
Blade - Polish Polsilver Stainless (1)
Soap - Palmolive Shaving Stick
Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 22mm
Post - Witch Hazel/Barts Balm Sample G
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

First time using an unobtanium Polish Polsilver blade, one which I've read many good things about so I was looking forward to it greatly.

I'll start with the lather. I loaded a little less Palmolive Stick than I usually do, built the lather up til it had a good amount of cushion, then kept on hydrating until it was about to fall off my face, I find these slick lathers produce the best shaves. It's a shame the humble Palmolive Stick has been discontinued, I think it might produce a truly exceptional lather.

Now onto the shave, within the first few strokes it was clear the blade is a very smooth one, so smooth I could barely feel any resistance from the blade, and I was surprised at how much growth it had taken down. I usually go for 2 passes (WTG Ear to Nose XTG), but the razor/blade felt so smooth I went for another XTG pass (Nose to ear), and finished the shave with my face feeling incredibly smooth and comfortable. There was a little post shave burn when I put on the alcoholic splash but it dissipated instantly, generally a sign the shave was a comfortable one.

I never fully assess a new blade on it's first outing, but I can tell this blade is an excellent one and I look forward to getting to know this blade in other razors over the next few days.

Have a good day gents.

View attachment 74719

3/8/21

Pre - Unscented Soap
Razor - Old Type
Blade - Polish Polsilver Stainless (1)
Soap - Palmolive Shaving Stick
Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 22mm
Post - Witch Hazel/Barts Balm Sample G
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

First time using an unobtanium Polish Polsilver blade, one which I've read many good things about so I was looking forward to it greatly.

I'll start with the lather. I loaded a little less Palmolive Stick than I usually do, built the lather up til it had a good amount of cushion, then kept on hydrating until it was about to fall off my face, I find these slick lathers produce the best shaves. It's a shame the humble Palmolive Stick has been discontinued, I think it might produce a truly exceptional lather.

Now onto the shave, within the first few strokes it was clear the blade is a very smooth one, so smooth I could barely feel any resistance from the blade, and I was surprised at how much growth it had taken down. I usually go for 2 passes (WTG Ear to Nose XTG), but the razor/blade felt so smooth I went for another XTG pass (Nose to ear), and finished the shave with my face feeling incredibly smooth and comfortable. There was a little post shave burn when I put on the alcoholic splash but it dissipated instantly, generally a sign the shave was a comfortable one.

I never fully assess a new blade on it's first outing, but I can tell this blade is an excellent one and I look forward to getting to know this blade in other razors over the next few days.

Have a good day gents.
OLD or clone, no name on it?

My fellow shavateers and shavateeresses, it gives me emphatic pleasure to present you with my themed shave 'How much is that hog brush in the window? and other great shaving songs'

IMG_20210801_185149.jpg

General V2's and Majors
Grandma's Feather Super Professional bed
30mm Kashmir
Avalon
Norwegian Neroli Woods

Just had to throw this one in. A superb version of 'the shaving brush (woolen jumper) song'

An elucidation for an SOTD which rather lost itself

I started this particular pile of my usual piffle on Sunday morning , but work, work and some more of that work thing disrupted my shaving thought process and in between I have utterly forgotten what I was going to cobble together. So you are saved the torture.

A rare trip out for the Murdock Avalon as once this is gone I doubt I will see another. Unless someone happens to have a jar they would happily part with. If it is smooth enough for Bryan Ferry to sing about it is smooth enough for me to shave with. As far as I am concerned one of the best creams of all time. To save what I have left it will probably not see the light of day again for another 6 months.

The General V2 again turned in an impeccable performance. What a wonderful executed piece of engineering and design. Safe as houses and a sure bet for superb results. No idea how long this Feather has gone on for but it goes a long way to show why SE.

And the Steven Jagger? Monster. Monster. Nuff said

If I do recall one thing from my absent memory, this shave was one of those superb hair removing moments. Throw on some Banana Republic Neroli Woods to match the Avalon and grinning inwardly.

"Oh, I have only been waiting three whole days and now you say you need to shave again?"

Well not only did I fail to complete this SOTD in good time, I also failed to find any Japanese girly rock bands with shaving related songs. So have some of this

Tuesday AM 2021-08-03
National Watermelon Day
nvCkcx6.jpg

Rooney 2/1 Ivory Finest (22/56)
Crabtree & Evelyn Almond Oil shaving cream (vintage)
Haircut & Shave P075-SB Mixed Metal Black/Triad Pineapple Brass
Wilkinson London Bridge (12)
RazoRock R-160 Sweet Almond aftershave balm
t4LKYYq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom