SOTD : Saturday 31th July to Friday 6th August July 2021.

Sat 31 SOTD
Soap Stirling Haverford
Brush Spiffo 28mm Manchurian
Razor Gillette Empire Goodwill
Blade Vintage Polsilver Super Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + HA + Stirling Haverford Balm
Just awesome the scent from this soap! Really aromatic with a creamy and slick lather. The brush is amazingly soft...perfect for face lathering...
The shave with these 2 vintage combinations of razor & blade was very very good. Can feel the edge was crisp but soft & smooth so it was very comfortable 3passes for a dolphin smooth finish. Excellent blade indeed! The aftershaves were excellent too especially with the matching AS balm!
View attachment 74555
Looks like an epic shave with great aesthetics

IMG_20210805_110642.jpg

Carbon CX 316 (.68)
Gillette Silver Blue
Rhodium Emerald
Declaration Grooming Weinstrasse soap and aftershave set
Soundtrack - Queens of the Stone Age '...Like Clockwork'

Outstanding shave. I haven't been giving the Carbon CX much love lately but today's shave just proves what a fabulous shaver it really is.
The Declaration Grooming Weinstrasse set is right up there for me and performance across the board is top notch.

Cheers
Rob

Do you know when the stand for the razor is going to be released? Had some great shaves with the essence to-date!
Good Day Mate. We have not decided on the release of the stand, we are looking into the demand, if there is a demand then we will definitely start production on the stand.
I'm glad you are enjoying your shave with Essence. It makes my heart flutter hearing good words from you guys. Means all my hard work has paid off. Thank you so much.

20210805_094439.jpg
SOTD 5th Aug
Pre - PAA Cube
Brush - Yaqi Giotto 24mm
Soap - WSP Gatwick Tweed
Razor - Ever Ready 1914
Blade - Gem Personna SSC #8
Post - Lea 0% ASL & Wickhams Shamrock Tweed balm
EDT - Essence Vault 411 - Green Irish Tweed

My best shave to date with this razor. I agree with a few other comments that this razor needs more attention to touch ups than my 1912 and MMOC.
Nice 3 passes for a DFS. A super slick lather and a top quality post shave from Wickhams. With an ingredients list like this it's hard to go wrong.
Stay safe people and enjoy your shaves

5/8/21

Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 22mm
Soap - Stirling Sheep Unscented
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Polish Polsilver (2)
Post - Alum/Lea Balm
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum w/Pimento

I made a pithy comment somewhere about wanting to try the mutton base Stirling shaving soap, and Brian @culcreuch very generously sent an enormous sample of both the unscented and the Electric Sheep Stirling soaps with the mutton base. I'm genuinely amazed by the kindness and generosity on this forum, and thank you for Brian for sending them out.

Now onto the shave itself.

I've been wet shaving for a good few years now, but for whatever reason I'd never got around to using an American soap, be it something like Stirling or any of the multitude of artisans making soaps, but I have used a few European ones, maybe it's down to being UK based and having better access to them.

I was sent a very generous sample, which I left in the bag but scooped away a tiny pea worth of soap, pressed it to the top of a lid and soaked it with a bit of water before loading that to my brush and then building the lather on my face. Even though I used a very small amount of soap it was clear I loaded a little too much soap and my lather even though was very well hydrated was on the thicker side of things than I usually like.

How would I describe the lather? For a start it might be one of the easiest soaps to build a lather with, I almost had a perfectly slick lather with great cushion almost by just shouting at it. How did it smell? I was expecting it to a much stronger and unpleasant barnyard scent, and even if it was there it wasn't unpleasant or much of a bother. In terms of it's properties, it's reasonably dense, much like any good traditional tallow based shaving soap, maybe not as dense as Tabac but not a million miles away from it. In terms of the lather sitting on the face, FTR I have incredibly sensitive skin and I noticed not the slightest bit of irritation during or after the shave, possibly down to the lack of any scent/parfum in the ingredients list. How did it perform? From the outset, I'd say it's quite an oily soap, and produces a very slick lather. I think I used a little too much soap for today's shave, but I will underload for the next shave.

The shave itself wasn't the best I've had. The Polish Polsilver was reasonably sharp for it's first shave, and I paired the razor in an Old Type and had a very smooth and comfortable first shave with the blade, but had a few spots where the shave wasn't as close as I usually like. For today's shave, I put the blade into a slightly more efficient razor, a Fat Handle Tech (which is a very mild razor as it is) and from the very first stroke I could instantly feel the blade more than the last shave and by the second pass, I'd picked up a few weepers, which I am not sure are down to the blade being sharper on it's second use (as happens on a regular basis), applying too much pressure, or not have the slickest possible lather.

A rare shave to close up the weepers with the alum block but it happens, but my face is feeling very smooth and comfortable post shave.

Have a good day gents.

Thur 5th August

The Grosvenor 404mixed
Lea Classic soap
Yaqi Raster V2
Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG ( 3 )
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

This budget Razor equipped with a Kai guarded blade delivers a trouble free Shave. Am very pleased with the quality of finish attained which could be a bit better than one with The Enoch yesterday.

D6C5B31E-DBB8-4C4B-A4C0-BF3074991351.jpeg

Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Thursday 5th August 2021

Shave Score 9.8 \ 10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower \ PAA The Cube 2.0 "Menthol" \ Signature Soaps - Patchouli Foaming Shower Wash
PreShave: PAA The Cube 2.0 "Non-Menthol"
Soap: Goodfellas - Abysso
Brush: Yaqi 26mm - Timber Wolf
Razor: Karve Aluminum (C)
Blade: Amazon - Solimo (2)
Post Shave ASL: Goodfellas - Abysso
Post Shave Balm: Baxters
Post Shave Cologne: TOBS - Eton College

Another late post today, work has gone nuts, but a great shave this morning :)

Joe

9BAAE3CC-FE09-4F0E-869A-CDCC90E7B091.jpeg

Thursday AM 2021-08-05
First quasar discovered on this date, 1962
j5uVRlt.jpg

Rooney Polo 1 Ivory Finest (24/54)
XPEC Original shaving cream (vintage Forester Milan version) + Moroccan Rose Absolute
Wolfman WR1-SB 0.74/Triad Aristocrat Brass & Stainless Steel
Wilkinson London Bridge (14)
Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe aftershave
8OHywnL.jpg

Thursday 5th August 2021 PM

Pre: Warm rinse and wash with Skye Soap Company Lemongrass soap
Cream/Soap: ESC Citrus Kiss cream
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow synthetic
Razor: Claymore V1
Blade: Schick Proline (4)
EdC: Alvarez Gomez

BB45C0D5-BF10-475C-8E7F-9B3397258DD8.jpeg

A lovely fresh shave this evening with a citrus theme. Straightforward 3 passes which were relaxed and chilling.

No issues with any of the hardware or software with my neck having recovered from Tuesday nights shave.

Dolphin smooth and zesty as hell (not sure that sounds quite right!).

Have a great night folks.

Thursday 5th August

AM-JKLWfqh2koO2lTOTtS_vrH_oq9kymPvjTsh77NTZZE38wKERV5WaXvo32wzwI1OQPw-QIBomVBYvhu43o6I40-5M7sXQOSuf_XzMX3mVZHmbV8krmE3RHpIMZJaMFhwaQDdequoQj-duiKLH_twd_-ZT3cw=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
La Savonniere du Moulin Shaving Soap
Kent Infinity+ Silvertex Shaving Brush
GEM Junior Bar
GEM by Personna Stainless PTFE (4)
Puig Quorum Aftershave

Superb lather built up with this (new to me) Kent Infinity+ brush, a really welcome return to synthetics after many a month with boar bristle. Silvertex fibre gives this brush a really good scrubbing character and the lather build up thick and shiny from a good, dry base that I could add water to bit by bit until perfection bloomed.

Back
Top Bottom