SOTD: Saturday 25th January - Friday 31st January 2020.

SOTD 30 January 2020

Pre-shave: Warm shower; Kiehl's face fuel; Seven Potions Pre-Shave Oil - Pure Equilibrium.
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum Shaving.
Brush: Shavemac ' The Flat Top'.
Bowl: Little Wren.
Razor: Colonial Silversmith .
Blade: Astra Blue (Stainless) (Day 2).
Post: Cold water, Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum Aftershave Splash - Bioaroma Aftershave Balm.
Cologne: Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum Solid Cologne.

A lovely Bay Rum themed shave today; the Silver Smith paired with the Astra Blue - a very smooth' 2 passes and DFS+/BBS - finish with no issues to report.

I picked up the P&B Imperial Rum soap in November; my first dip into tallow based soap - loved it from the first use. I decided to accessorise up and get the splash and matching solid cologne (a Christmas present); the splash is devine - reminds me of the high quality OSP splashes - my first solid cologne - was not sure what to expect; great scent with reasonable staying power.

The higlight of the shave was the Silversmith loaded with the Astra Blue; for me a great razor and blade combination.

All the best,

Chris

Date:- 31 January 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Nordost
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB SS 'D' / Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless #11
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

Santa Maria Novella
RazoRock BC Silvertip synth 24mm
Face lather
ER 1914
Gem SS PTFE
Thayer's Lavender and Aloe Vera
Pitralon Classic after shave

I'd been neglecting my SEs for a while, so I thought that using the Little Lather Catcher would be a welcome return; which it certainly was.

It did take a wee bit longer to get the finish I wanted, but (that's) probably due to the blade being on its way out; because I always get first class shaves with this fellow.

29CCFAD6-4223-4629-976D-6CA4BB004EBC.jpeg

Fri 31st Jan.

RazoRock Plissoft 22mm
Arko Soap- grated stick
Occam -Hiram on Plate 3
Feather Proguard [ 6 ]
Pitralon Original A/S Lotion.

I do not think that I have had such good Shaves from any Razor, during what is normally a getting to know it phase. The Handle makes it so easy to wield in all phases of the Shave. Perhaps blade security is a worry to some, but I have used this and the Oren,and once a blade is loaded it never moves and the open nature of the head makes it easy to rinse during the Shave, and afterwards. I have a relatively tough beard with a need to shave daily, and I find it easy to use The Hiram as a Daily Shaver. I would recommend trying this Razor, provided that you get it at a heavily discounted price.

IMG_0478.jpg

“Friday”, sounds so nice doesn't it? Looking forward to the weekend but we need to get through the day (and transfer window) first! Today's choice is the iKon Deluxe OC on a 80mm iKon handle. Like a far bit better than the iKon Standard or Tech. Smooth. As can be.

RazoRock Black Bay, I won't harp on its many merits I simply love the soap and AS.

Three pass BBS shave with a spritz of Gucci Pour Homme and to work we go. Let the transfer window be done and the weekend begin! Happy shaves all!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: iKon Deluxe OC
Blade: Personna Platinum
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1
Lather: RazoRock Black Bay
Aftershave: RazoRock Black Bay
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Gucci Pour Homme
15CD5102-527A-499C-8B01-99FA72D1321F.jpeg

31/01/2020
Pre: Pears Transparent Original
Brush: Alpha Titanium Outlaw G4
Soap: OSP Spice Road
Razor: Karve SB - C - SS
Blade: Polsilver Lodz (1)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Tony'schin Bay Rum Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Balm Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm & Lotion
A/S: OSP Spice Road

P1300002.JPG

I found a couple of Polsilver Lodz which were PIF'd by either Paul @Blademonkey or Chris @Satanfriendly and thought i would try 1 before pulling the trigger on 100.
thanks.gif
The Karve was loaded for the job.

I found them very similar to the good version of the Polsilvers i have, very sharp but not so smooth for me, the end result is a brilliant very comfortable, BBS finish? i really cannot put my finger on it? Strange as i do like the result it gave.
More alarming was for the first time i got a very light tingling when i loaded my Lather to face, this has never happened before and i have nothing post shave. I have been out in the wind a bit over the last few days and i am hoping that's all it is.
Overall a strange shave with very good end result.
I will stick with the couple of thousand blades i have for now and remove the Lodz from my cart.
Enjoy your day All.

Last edited:
Friday 31st January
Jayaruh 289 - Wolfpac Italian Orchard - General Brass - Schick Proline P #8 - Osmanli Lemon Cologne - Aloe Vera Gel
BQcPBsw.jpg

313A58EE-E59A-4442-B2C2-9A706B5F7CDC.jpeg

SOTD 01/31/20

This morning I woke up to a relatively gray day. One of the issues with having a collection of utility objects is that as it grows, certain early favorites are pushed aside in favor of the newer arrivals. What razor should I select to shave with and close out the month? I looked at my rack of 16 daily drivers And noticed that I had been neglecting one of my stalwarts, the Muhle R41 (2011) on its RazoRock SS Barber Pole handle. In addition, my shaving creams have been have seeing little use. So I selected my Kapo fresh. I like to bowl lather my shaving creams, so I also grabbed my ceramic shaving scuttle. Jayaruh's Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger was my choice of brush. I cold rinsed with water and applied my regular PAA Preshave soap to head and face. My shave gang over at TSD have been on a hot lather kick with a variety of shaving soaps. So I had boiled some water, and added it to my usual smidge of Kapo Fresh with 5 drops of M-Bomb. The result was a thin, white, disappointing bubbly result. So I added a bit more cream and proceeded to lather without much change. As soon as I began transferring this seemingly nothing lather to my face and noggin, however, voila, thick, luxurious, hot lather. So this is what they're talking about! Now the thing I know about the R41 is that besides being a highly efficient shaver, it demands concentration and focus.

My first WTG pass on my face went beautifully as I rode the cap carefully throughout. Short careful strokes cleared the whiskers right down to the skin line on my face, leaving me with an incredibly close bloodless first pass even around the troublesome Adam's apple with only three rough spots. Now it was time for the head. I usually use long sweeping ATG strokes on the dome with my trusty Silversmith, Vector or Shake Sharp, but remembered that this never worked well with this razor. So I proceeded to use the same cap-riding short stroke technique on the gourd, with WTG short strokes, and experienced the same whisker clearing result as on the face, although it took me far longer than my usual head shave. There remained only two rough spots in the usual places, for that second pass. Usually I go ATG, but with this razor and my arthritis would be bitten. So instead I elected to go XTG, and for the first time ended up with probably one of the closest head shaves I've ever experienced. Returning to my face, I experienced another extremely close shave. A check with the alum block revealed heat around each of the trouble spots. Given that, I guess I would have to term the result a near BBS all around. What a great shave to end the month on. I feel clean, smoooth, coool and refreshed

RAZOR: Muhle R41 (2011) on RR Barber Pole SS Handle
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA's Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Kapo Fresh
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash

Back
Top Bottom