SOTD : Saturday 24th July to Friday 30th July 2021.

Razor = Feather AS-D2
Blade = Gillette Nacet ( 3 )
Brush = Yaqi Giotto 24mm Synthetic
Cream = La Toja
Aftershave = Floris Santal EDT
Balm = Baxter’s Of California

Class shave today and a first for me on the cream.
I loved the scent of this cream and it performed very well.
The brush was also a first for me
a gift from a friend, not so much a gift but he didn’t like it and i do :D
Mind you i can’t really do wrong with a yaqi.

The more & more i shave the more i’m preferring the feather.
i haven’t brought any vintage with me to Norway but certainly out of all the other modern razors i have i’m starting to really prefer the feather.
who knows i might change my mind but at the moment it’s definitely a favourite of mine.
Stay safe boys
onwards & upwards
E06BE298-7555-4D76-AD7F-8A0C2B186EC0.png

Today 24.07.21
pre shave: PAA cube
Brush: Alpha outlaw
Razor: Rex Ambassador
blade: permasharp 3rd use
Soap: Organism 46-b
Aftershave: Organism 46-b
Balm: Organism 46-b star jelly

Had a great shave today used the Rex and went for a 3 pass shave
1st pass setting 4
2nd pass setting 3
3rd pass setting 2
Really liked the scent of the soap and get hints of brandy vanilla i think and a little chocolate

20210724_175532.jpg20210724_175445.jpg20210724_175417.jpg20210724_175159.jpg20210724_161657.jpg

Attachments

• 20210724_161341.jpg
    20210724_161341.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210724_161141.jpg
    20210724_161141.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 5
Saturday Shave

Preshave: Argan Oil Soap
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Brush: 21mm Muhle STF
Razor: Rigarazor 8/8
Splash: Floid Sauve
Balm: L'Occitane Original
EDT: Cento Milano

Lovely first outing with the Riga Razor , it is a hefty razor but well balanced it took me the first pass to get used to the nose as it extends a long way in front of the spine , the Shobu edge definitely suited it and the end result was a lovely shave.

Saturday 24th July

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
OSP vs Shaving Station Spirits
Semogue SOC Taj w/24mm Boar
Gillette Hybrid Tech w/Weber Bulldog Handle
KAI Stainless (2)
OSP vs Shaving Station Spirits Aftershave

I was excited to try the Kai Stainless, but somewhat confuzzled about its reputed sharpness while perusing the figures over at Refined Shave where it sits as dull as the Treet Black Beauty out of the box but sharpens up with first use, yet still doesn't get much sharper than any middling blade.

Well, one way to find out ...

Yesterday, I used it in my Feather Popular and despite two passes ended up with a proverbial "shadow shave" ... where you get shaved, but can still see the shadow. Indeed, it was not a sharp blade from the off and yes, it did sharpen up during first use but I could most definitely feel that passing over and over the same area was not actually cutting close.

I have a good number of shaves under my belt in the Feather Popular and despite it being a pretty cheap razor, it's not at all bad. Loading, say, the mighty Feather in or a Gillette Sharp Edge, it certainly does the do ...

So, in case the razor is indeed wonky, tonight I loaded the (once used) Kai Stainless into my Gillette Hybrid Tech. If any razor can be guaranteed to give a great shave, it's the Gillette Hybrid Tech. Happy to report a shave (sans shadow) with two passes, but the blade was most cetainly not sharp. Not dull tuggy, just not sharp.

One for the "life is too short" pile and so, ditched at two shaves.

I'll no doubt return to remainder of the pack some time in the next decade, but won't be rushing back.

Sotd-24-07-21.jpg

This afternoon -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - M plate
blade - Kai (3)
brush - Semogue 2000 boar
soap - Tabac cream
post - witch hazel
a/s - Tabac
balm - none
scent - Tabac edt.

Everything to like and nothing not to like. Sometimes - without thinking about it - a shave becomes superior to the sum of the parts. This was one of those for me - flawless - I wish the same to you all - cheers - I.

Last edited:
098B45A5-D4C7-4A39-8C13-80B2E542F380.jpeg
Prep: Shower with Baxter’s of California face scrub.

Pre: PAA unscented cube

Soap: Hampshire wool fat soap no. 1

Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia

Razor: Merkur Futur

Blade: Astra SP

Post: Alum, Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic and Baxter’s aftershave balm.

I had my first save today with the Futur and though there’s some blade feel and it’s more aggressive than it’s numerous clones, I think it’s aggressiveness is over emphasised. As advised I stuck to setting 2 today and though I got the impression it was more aggressive than my clone, it was completely smooth and efficient. I took my time and got only one small nick going over a small spot/zit. Other than that it way lovely. I need to try it on a few higher settings, and I’m not saying I couldn’t tell in inexperienced hands, how it would easily slice and dice a newbie but I love it already! By the end of my third pass I was finding the best position to hold it and can’t wait to try it again!

F4125BA2-B0A9-443E-B5AC-51AE38078910.jpeg

Prep: Lukewarm shower, brickells face scrub
Brush: Zenith unbleached boar 507U XSE
Razor: Ikon El jefe SE
Blade: Kai captain Titan mild (6)
Lather: Deadseashave kraken
Post Shave: Old spice slugger aftershave

Haven’t used this soap in quite a while - it’s a good one and definitely feels great on my skin. I do prefer the maelstrom one , which I think also lathers a bit easier (this one is always a pain unless bowl lathering). Nice bay rum type of scent on this - but also quite a bit different. Getting way more cinnamon with this one. I’m not a fan of bay rum scents but this one I do like!

First use of my newly acquired boar brush - it’s quite a nice one! Doesn’t eat lather like other boars I had - and works really well! Definitely a keeper - looking forward to it breaking in!

2 passes for BBS! El jefe never disappoints - to be honest I feel like it’s the only razor that I can do one pass and be DFS. Yes it does bite at times but I don’t mind that - gotta live on the edge a bit!

Finished off with old spice slugger - probably the most appropriate from my collection to pair with bay rum type of scents. Bit of stinging that also refreshes. Great shave!

Saturday 24th July

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
OSP vs Shaving Station Spirits
Semogue SOC Taj w/24mm Boar
Gillette Hybrid Tech w/Weber Bulldog Handle
KAI Stainless (2)
OSP vs Shaving Station Spirits Aftershave

I was excited to try the Kai Stainless, but somewhat confuzzled about its reputed sharpness while perusing the figures over at Refined Shave where it sits as dull as the Treet Black Beauty out of the box but sharpens up with first use, yet still doesn't get much sharper than any middling blade.

Well, one way to find out ...

Yesterday, I used it in my Feather Popular and despite two passes ended up with a proverbial "shadow shave" ... where you get shaved, but can still see the shadow. Indeed, it was not a sharp blade from the off and yes, it did sharpen up during first use but I could most definitely feel that passing over and over the same area was not actually cutting close.

I have a good number of shaves under my belt in the Feather Popular and despite it being a pretty cheap razor, it's not at all bad. Loading, say, the mighty Feather in or a Gillette Sharp Edge, it certainly does the do ...

So, in case the razor is indeed wonky, tonight I loaded the (once used) Kai Stainless into my Gillette Hybrid Tech. If any razor can be guaranteed to give a great shave, it's the Gillette Hybrid Tech. Happy to report a shave (sans shadow) with two passes, but the blade was most cetainly not sharp. Not dull tuggy, just not sharp.

One for the "life is too short" pile and so, ditched at two shaves.

I'll no doubt return to remainder of the pack some time in the next decade, but won't be rushing back.
I haven't used a Kai in 2 or 3 years, I remember them being as sharp as a Feather, but dulling quickly. I guess they changed.

View attachment 74184

Prep: Lukewarm shower, brickells face scrub
Brush: Zenith unbleached boar 507U XSE
Razor: Ikon El jefe SE
Blade: Kai captain Titan mild (6)
Lather: Deadseashave kraken
Post Shave: Old spice slugger aftershave

Haven’t used this soap in quite a while - it’s a good one and definitely feels great on my skin. I do prefer the maelstrom one , which I think also lathers a bit easier (this one is always a pain unless bowl lathering). Nice bay rum type of scent on this - but also quite a bit different. Getting way more cinnamon with this one. I’m not a fan of bay rum scents but this one I do like!

First use of my newly acquired boar brush - it’s quite a nice one! Doesn’t eat lather like other boars I had - and works really well! Definitely a keeper - looking forward to it breaking in!

2 passes for BBS! El jefe never disappoints - to be honest I feel like it’s the only razor that I can do one pass and be DFS. Yes it does bite at times but I don’t mind that - gotta live on the edge a bit!

Finished off with old spice slugger - probably the most appropriate from my collection to pair with bay rum type of scents. Bit of stinging that also refreshes. Great shave!

I did say the Ikon wouldn't take prisoners. You could make a mistake on your face and take your nads off at the same time. But as you say one pass to perfection and a reach for the Band Aid tin

Sun 25 SOTD
Soap Van Yulay Puros La Habana
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Gillette New LC
Blade Gillette London Bridge 2nd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + HA + RazoRock Puros
Just a great aromatic cigarish leaf scent from this soap! Nothing else. The lather was nicely creamy and had good slickness too...really enjoyed it.
Shave with this very nice vintage razor paired with the good blade was very enjoyably smooth and comfortable in 3passes for a mostly bbs result. They sure got it right many years ago. Aftershaves were awesome too.
20210725_120547.jpg

Back
Top Bottom