SOTD: Saturday 24 June - Friday 30 June 2023.

I'm not quite sure how to start my SOTD this evening without mentioning that I've probably just had the best wet shave of my adult life at 50 I'll start by saying a big thank you to Brian H of signature soaps for what can be described as a truly beautiful soap. I think I absolutely dialled in the soap with a damp but not wet Yaqi Mokka synthetic brush to the point where I was absolutely blown away with how good the scent, lather slickness and cushioning was and resulted in my best BBS shave I've ever performed.

Tonight's actors were:
Hot shower with Signature Soaps lime, lemon, lemongrass and lavender body soap
Signature Soaps Eboracum.
Yaqi Mokka Express Syn
Muhle Rocca R94 with a Gillette platinum (2)
Thayers WH, la Roche-Posay B5 balm.
Signature Soaps Novus Spice AS splash. Wow I'm blown away
IMG_20230629_210541.jpg

I'm not quite sure how to start my SOTD this evening without mentioning that I've probably just had the best wet shave of my adult life at 50 I'll start by saying a big thank you to Brian H of signature soaps for what can be described as a truly beautiful soap. I think I absolutely dialled in the soap with a damp but not wet Yaqi Mokka synthetic brush to the point where I was absolutely blown away with how good the scent, lather slickness and cushioning was and resulted in my best BBS shave I've ever performed.

Tonight's actors were:
Hot shower with Signature Soaps lime, lemon, lemongrass and lavender body soap
Signature Soaps Eboracum.
Yaqi Mokka Express Syn
Muhle Rocca R94 with a Gillette platinum (2)
Thayers WH, la Roche-Posay B5 balm.
Signature Soaps Novus Spice AS splash. Wow I'm blown away
View attachment 108109
That’s very kind of you to say that. Best Regards Brian

IMG_2062.jpeg
SOTD: 29/06/2023

Razor: Wolfman WR4
Blade: Kai Captain Mild Blue, 3rd use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Iceni Puck
Aftershave: Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man EDT
Balm: Phoenix & Beau Iceni Balm

A lovely shave from start to finish, the WR4 is really is going to be missed once I move it on after my next shave. I don’t think I can find fault with it at all.

SOTD 30-June
20230629_145252.jpg
Brush: Dogwood DG B16
Soap: A&E Emerald Moss
Razor: Razorock German 37
Blade: Wizamet

Nice shave today, think I prefer the 39C as a razor but I do prefer 3 piece razors in general just for the handle options.

Either which way, nice smooth finish and no tingle this time, may have been a little heavy handed yesterday.

Hope everyone has a grand day.

Cheers

Marc

Fri 30
Soap Ach Brito Mogno
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake
Razor Joh Engstrom Eskilstuna Frameback
Aftershave Clubman Gents Gin
The nice slick lather with a light, refreshing scent matched well with the splash.
The shave with this razor was nice enough. The edge is smooth but keenness can be better...
20230630_121905.jpg

Friday 30 June

I am continuing with the hoe razor theme and today the STAR. End of the plastic handle seems to have made contact with a hot object in the past but that doesn’t effect it’s usability.
Borne out of the iconic Kample Brothers business 1875-1880 who trade marked the STAR name and went on to found American Safety Razor Corporation in 1919, under which we have, Gem Safety Razor Corporation , the Ever-Ready Trade Mark and Star Safety Razor Corporation. Phew, history lesson over.
Not surprising to me that GEM, Ever Ready and Star all produced almost identical hoe razors, ideally suited for the GEM se blade with the only difference being the name stamped on the razor head. This must have created an enormous business challenge especially for Gillette and something we should be grateful for as both companies strove over the decades to produce even better razors at affordable prices for Joe Shaver.
I was not disappointed today, even with a 5th use GEM blade, wtg and atg plus small amount of pick up delivered another fine bbs shave.
I do wonder sometimes why I have expensive modern razors that whilst superbly made, for me anyway, don’t provide a better shave than these vintage hoes.
I guess variety is the spice of life? This is what I tell the boss anyway.
Soap used RazoRock Aqua, brush Semogue.

Have a great day fellas!

IMG_0146.jpeg

Last edited:
30 June

Geo F Trumper Eucris
Yaqi Heavy Metal
Rex Ambassador
Treet Platinum
Geo F Trumper Eucris skin food

D2386C6C-7317-4EC3-8E38-53D77DE0ED6F.jpeg
I didn’t pick up enough cream on the brush this morning and the first pass lather was a little thin. I reloaded for the second pass and normal service was resumed, lots of luxurious lather. Notwithstanding my lather hiccup, the shave was easy and efficient, as the Rex is at a setting of 2.5 with a Treet Platinum. The Trumper’s skin food made for a pleasant finish. Onwards.

SOTD 20230630.
qr7ApaT.jpg

Proraso pre-shave cream (blue).
Semogue SOC.
Castle Forbes "Lavender Essential Oil" shaving cream.
iKon X3 / custom handle.
Polsilver Stainless (2).
Tihanyi "Levendula" EdP.

30/06/23
Pre - Droyt's Classic Glycerose Soap
Brush - AP400 Slim SynBad 22mm
Soap - Maca Root / Palmolive stick Superlather
Razor - Tatara Masamune
Blade - Kai DE Stainless
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Avon Shaving Brush Brut