SOTD: Saturday 23 March - Friday 29 March 2024.

25 March

Mühle Aloe Vera shaving cream
Edwin Jagger travel
Edwin Jagger DE89
Feather Hi-Stainless
Men’s Grooming Vetiver and Sandalwood balm

AE08D920-D518-452C-BFAA-B69E4BB0206C.jpeg
Genuine travel shave miles from home this morning. Poor lighting and a small sink, typical of cheap hotels, marred what could otherwise have been a good shave. No worries, at my own sink again tomorrow.

25 March

Mühle Aloe Vera shaving cream
Edwin Jagger travel
Edwin Jagger DE89
Feather Hi-Stainless
Men’s Grooming Vetiver and Sandalwood balm

View attachment 118624
Genuine travel shave miles from home this morning. Poor lighting and a small sink, typical of cheap hotels, marred what could otherwise have been a good shave. No worries, at my own sink again tomorrow.

I’m always interested in travel kit. That looks like a great set-up. Poor lighting… it’s a killer.

Monday 25th March

AP1GczNzRmZz65VLBSQtFfb_4diICxNnVyJ7M-4IkvIbgxxKDLcSa-W4Tem2sme1u2kAsaHBe8YhhdYMIfI0WnbeCBJ8S1V_n55Uc8MEyLGTfwwxVAjq756n8WdGJKjY2LxOs5D_FwFU3UivBSlnRHx6yVdCeQ=w800

Penhaligon's Bayolea Shaving Bowl & Omega 11137 Pure Bristle
Razorock Hawk A w/Razorock HD Handle & Feather Professional (8)
Hai Karate Aftershave

Cracking the seal on my recently purchased box-fresh Pen's Bayolea shaving soap which was released in 2013 or 2014 and was probably one of the last of the good Pen's soaps. It lathered up a beauty and gave me my kind of lather. Super shave!

Monday 25th March

AP1GczNzRmZz65VLBSQtFfb_4diICxNnVyJ7M-4IkvIbgxxKDLcSa-W4Tem2sme1u2kAsaHBe8YhhdYMIfI0WnbeCBJ8S1V_n55Uc8MEyLGTfwwxVAjq756n8WdGJKjY2LxOs5D_FwFU3UivBSlnRHx6yVdCeQ=w800

Penhaligon's Bayolea Shaving Bowl & Omega 11137 Pure Bristle
Razorock Hawk A w/Razorock HD Handle & Feather Professional (8)
Hai Karate Aftershave

Cracking the seal on my recently purchased box-fresh Pen's Bayolea shaving soap which was released in 2013 or 2014 and was probably one of the last of the good Pen's soaps. It lathered up a beauty and gave me my kind of lather. Super shave!

A blinder of a soap. I have a fair chunk of a bowl still left and really enjoy those shaves when it comes out of the drawer. As you say a most wonderful lather and the scent? Quite sublime. Shame they chose to go other directions. I will have to check with a local shop I know as they might still have one or two 'new' soaps remaining.

The accompanying splash was also superb, but that has long gone. Extro Arzachena is not far off though.

Well done for bringing a great soap back in to the light.

A blinder of a soap. I have a fair chunk of a bowl still left and really enjoy those shaves when it comes out of the drawer. As you say a most wonderful lather and the scent? Quite sublime. Shame they chose to go other directions. I will have to check with a local shop I know as they might still have one or two 'new' soaps remaining.

The accompanying splash was also superb, but that has long gone. Extro Arzachena is not far off though.

Well done for bringing a great soap back in to the light.

While researching the British Triple-Milled post, something really puzzled me about Pen's ... they seemed to enjoy the same Broadoak formulation as GFT, TOBS and Floris but then seemed to gain a really crap formulation somewhat before TOBS or Floris but then have two new releases (Sartorial 2013 and Bayolea 2014 < I looked it up) and the soaps that were released were superb.

... and then they stopped doing shaving soaps altogether.

But yes, it's an absolutely blinding good soap ... blinding indeed, as it's proper white WHITE lather! Almost glowing. I immediately took to this soap whereas the tallow Blenheim Boutique I was using last week was a bit of a take it or leave it.

For the ingredients geeks:

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Stearate, Glycerine, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Limonene, Paraffinum Liquidum, Linalool, Isoproyl Myristate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, Hexyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Hydroxycitronellal, BHT, Citronellol, Sodium Hydroxide, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 & CI77499 (Iron Oxides)

While researching the British Triple-Milled post, something really puzzled me about Pen's ... they seemed to enjoy the same Broadoak formulation as GFT, TOBS and Floris but then seemed to gain a really crap formulation somewhat before TOBS or Floris but then have two new releases (Sartorial 2013 and Bayolea 2014 < I looked it up) and the soaps that were released were superb.

... and then they stopped doing shaving soaps altogether.

But yes, it's an absolutely blinding good soap ... blinding indeed, as it's proper white WHITE lather! Almost glowing. I immediately took to this soap whereas the tallow Blenheim Boutique I was using last week was a bit of a take it or leave it.

For the ingredients geeks:

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Stearate, Glycerine, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Limonene, Paraffinum Liquidum, Linalool, Isoproyl Myristate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, Hexyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Hydroxycitronellal, BHT, Citronellol, Sodium Hydroxide, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 & CI77499 (Iron Oxides)

My historical knowledge of Soaps is unfortunately not as broad based and without the same depth as your own, but appreciate you words greatly.

Strangely I think of another of your recent purchases in the same shaving light, Captain Fawcett's. It may be different as to ingredients, but another great British soap sadly overlooked and under appreciated.

Odd how you mentioned Floris, as the nearest I could think of in a similar quality is their Elite. So much so I know one day another Floris will come my way. Probably when I visit the said store and I find out that their last stocks of Bayolea ran out the door years ago.

Tomorrow?

God, you have just cost me in some way

You damn Yorkies....bloody hell I am one. If Goole counts. An illuminated cemetery

Last edited:
4791FCD7-C4B4-455B-B5F3-849683C2F490.jpeg
Simpson Duke 2 Best
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Polsilver Łódź ((2)
D.R. Harris Sandalwood
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
OSP Sandalwood a/s

I’ve been neglecting my Slim lately for no good reason. Picked up where I left off; a nice smooth shave. I think it’s the best of my small collection of vintage DE’s.

Excellent, enjoy yours chaps

SOTD Mon 25 Mar 2024

Last chance Monday, shave
038BD50A-B05E-40F5-96AF-0ADB9D26F7E9.jpeg
Prep - hot shower, handmade soap face wash
Bowl - DSCosmetic bowl
Soap - Wilkinson Sword Shaving Soap Bowl
Brush - DSCosmetic Coffee G7
Razor - Muhle R89 Twist
Blade - Super-Max Blue Diamond (2)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum block
Splash - Sierran Breeze ASL
Balm - Nivea Sensitive Cool PSB
Fragrance - Mastermind EDT

Ok, so I’ve tried the Wilko soap with a boar brush, a soft synthetic and now a G7. It worked fine this time although I still don’t get much slickness so not as comfortable as I would like. Most of the blades I have give an ok-ish shave on the first use, a nice one on second use then gradually deteriorate over the next 2 or 3. This one seemed better on it’s first outing and a bit rougher on this second one! It’s all subjective on the night I suppose! Altogether though, not a bad shave at all, bit of alum sting but otherwise quite good, feeling and smelling excellent.

B6AD77A6-12E3-4447-A44F-4CA01644DD46.jpeg
I gave this walking in the rain malarkey another chance this morning, but no, I was right last time - I definitely don’t like it!

Back
Top Bottom