SOTD : Saturday 22nd May to Friday 28th May 2021.

1st go. Fine shave, just like a Lord Platinum and probably the same blade. ;)
Could be ... could be ...

I have used both and would disagree, but who knows? To me, the Silver Star was a good, honest, sharp stainless; the Platinum smooth (as it's defining character), sharp enough ... but left me with irritation. I'd like to try that one again as I seem to have overcome my issue with Platinum while running through all those SuperMax and then Indian-made Gillette blades. I have pretty much a full compliment of Lord blades and keep trying to do a straight run through the lot like I did with the SuperMax brand.

Either way, good that you enjoyed it. It's certainly a blade that I like.

kpgHRS1.jpg

Sorry, I cannot get this new damned Nokia cell to take good photos.
You haven't done the same thing to your Nokia that you did to that poor orange brush, have you?

Could be ... could be ...

I have used both and would disagree, but who knows? To me, the Silver Star was a good, honest, sharp stainless; the Platinum smooth (as it's defining character), sharp enough ... but left me with irritation. I'd like to try that one again as I seem to have overcome my issue with Platinum while running through all those SuperMax and then Indian-made Gillette blades. I have pretty much a full compliment of Lord blades and keep trying to do a straight run through the lot like I did with the SuperMax brand.

Either way, good that you enjoyed it. It's certainly a blade that I like.

Platinum does not touch your skin per se. It is only used in the sputtering process to harden the edge and then all is coated with some form of PTFE or other proprietary coating.

Platinum does not touch your skin per se. It is only used in the sputtering process to harden the edge and then all is coated with some form of PTFE or other proprietary coating.
Indeed! I know this ... and I know that logically it shouldn't matter. The point of platinum is to strengthen the edge thereby delaying its degredation and ensuring a more consistent experience throughout. On the first shave, absolutely, the coating will not permit the platinum to present to the face. It does seem to get me, though ...

Or rather, did. Maybe the usual smoothness of platinum made me subconsciously press harder to produce my expected blade feel. I certainly got to enjoy a good number of platinum blades using the Yaqi SE (Katana) which has quite a yawning gap and an aggressive presentation. We'll see when I get back onto double edge blades.

Pre: PAA scentless cube
Soap: Saponeria del Titano
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia.
Razor: Pearl Flexi
Blade: Persona Viking Sword
Post: Alum, Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic and Baxter’s aftershave balm.
Again the cube helped produce a lovely rich lather from the Saponeria thick, yogurt double cream like but full of volume. The smell was lovely but mild.
I’ve been experimenting with all my adjustables to see how high I can go and still get a comfortable shave and managed a 5 on the Flexi today, no doubt helped by the cream and cube.

Attachments

• 17E66BD1-BF9F-48FC-B3C8-8952E87524EA.jpeg
    17E66BD1-BF9F-48FC-B3C8-8952E87524EA.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 8
20210526_145327.jpg
SOTD 26th May
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo
Pre - PAA Cube (Unscented)
Soap - Soap Commander Honor
Razor - Ever Ready 1912
Blade - Gem Personna SSC #10
Post - Stirling Arkadia- thankyou Boycie!

Beautiful 3 passes tonight where the PAA Cube made a big difference in slickness to this soap. The Ever Ready 1912 is without doubt the razor that gives me the most enjoyable shaves - always makes me smile at it's ingenuity!
And the post shave was glorious - luxurious hydration with a stunning scent. What a wonderful hobby.
Stay safe people and enjoy your shaves.

D61359FE-79D0-4327-8E1F-7428871FE9AE.jpeg
Pre: hot shower, proraso white preshave cream
Brush: yaqi 26mm mysterious space tuxedo
Soap: MdC rose sample
Blade: Kai captain Titan mild #1
Razor: iKon SE

Probably best shave ever.
Starting with soap and razor - both were generously sent over to me by Chris @Satanfriendly . Thank you so much!
Soap lathered effortlessly - took a pea sized amount, mushed it against bottom of the bowl and went at it with yaqi brush. It produced some amazing lather, well hydrated and shiny! Definitely top tier right there together with Boellis Panama and SV. Declaration grooming is creeping just one stage below them.
8864DEA8-5881-4DB2-AA3D-A95147D239EE.jpegRazor... well - I think this is going to be taking the first spot among my DE and SE razors. Nice weight to it and lovely aggressiveness - also incredibly efficient . After two passes (WTG and XTG ) I was at DFS+... albeit at cost of two small weepers on the neck (they did close before the next pass).

third pass took me all the way to BBS. Even the problematic spot on my neck was only a tiny bit away from that result - most likely with a small cleanup it would get there, but didn’t want to push it too much!
Couple more micro weepers picked up on the final pass, however was extremely happy with the result. Lovely aggressive razor.

Finished the shave off with a healthy dose of Stirling glacial lemon chill (it was that or brut) - which brought some stinging around chin area, however that’s normal for me when I get bbs or even dfs .

View attachment 70598
Pre: hot shower, proraso white preshave cream
Brush: yaqi 26mm mysterious space tuxedo
Soap: MdC rose sample
Blade: Kai captain Titan mild #1
Razor: iKon SE

Probably best shave ever.
Starting with soap and razor - both were generously sent over to me by Chris @Satanfriendly . Thank you so much!
Soap lathered effortlessly - took a pea sized amount, mushed it against bottom of the bowl and went at it with yaqi brush. It produced some amazing lather, well hydrated and shiny! Definitely top tier right there together with Boellis Panama and SV. Declaration grooming is creeping just one stage below them.
View attachment 70599Razor... well - I think this is going to be taking the first spot among my DE and SE razors. Nice weight to it and lovely aggressiveness - also incredibly efficient . After two passes (WTG and XTG ) I was at DFS+... albeit at cost of two small weepers on the neck (they did close before the next pass).

third pass took me all the way to BBS. Even the problematic spot on my neck was only a tiny bit away from that result - most likely with a small cleanup it would get there, but didn’t want to push it too much!
Couple more micro weepers picked up on the final pass, however was extremely happy with the result. Lovely aggressive razor.

Finished the shave off with a healthy dose of Stirling glacial lemon chill (it was that or brut) - which brought some stinging around chin area, however that’s normal for me when I get bbs or even dfs .
Mdc rose is one of my favourites..love the Turkish delight theme of Rose and Lemon lol might have to try that

Mdc rose is one of my favourites..love the Turkish delight theme of Rose and Lemon lol might have to try that
It is a beautiful scent - lovely dark rose . Yet another scent that reminds me of childhood - my grandma had a lot of red roses in her garden. As a kid I did get a good whiff of them there haha :)

lol I didn’t even think of that! They do go together fairly well haha!

It is a beautiful scent - lovely dark rose . Yet another scent that reminds me of childhood - my grandma had a lot of red roses in her garden. As a kid I did get a good whiff of them there haha :)

lol I didn’t even think of that! They do go together fairly well haha!
It’s quite a natural scent and yes quite nostalgic for me too when I first had a sniff..I’m going to give it a go with the myrsol lemon I think, never thought to pair the two together before but it sounds like it will go quite nicely

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ The Night Before
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette Minora Stainless #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Burberry London for Men

Back
Top Bottom