SOTD : Saturday 20 August - Friday 26 August 2022.

A smashing way to end the day and some sink time themed, 'A Titanic shave'

View attachment 92330

Britannic - Ever Ready 1912
Olympic - GEM
Zealandic - Cadman 24mm Tuxedo
Belgic - Floris Elite
Bardic - Colegen moisturiser
Ceramic - Goutal Eau De Monsieur
Should have been Floris Elite but I missed the postie and not much scent in a piece of red card

'I name this ship.......it's fucked off'

1912. A pretty damn fine razor and also the year a rather large famous liner sank.

After a few egg noggs my grandma always used to say, 'Your granddad? It was like going down on the Titanic', so I presume she must have been a surviver. She also made mention of swimming with the buoys, but that just served to confuse me as I didn't know the Titanic sank off Bridlington.

Ah well you live and learn. Or walk through life ignorant. I'll take the latter.

A couple of local connections to the Titanic

View attachment 92332

Captain Smith's House, some 10 minute walk from my place. I might of thought someone who drove rather large ships would drive a bigger car.

Mine

View attachment 92340

View attachment 92333

The White Star owners house. 15 minutes walk. Now a care home and probably costs more per month per resident than the original purchase price.

And the shave?

The 1912 to me always looks like it should be a torture implement or a guillotine for mice, but fortunately it also shaves. And does so rather wonderfully. It is not an instant reach for me as because I find it rather daunting visually but that is soon dispelled when steel meets skin. It is actually quite a little pussy to use and despite the amount of blade on view it always delivers confidently and smoothly. I can't recall anytime it has drawn claret. It does have strange feedback and whoever said it sounds like scraping dry toast ain't that far off. I have tried shaving with dry toast but believe me it is shite.

Another great showing with the new Floris and I must say the Cadman is really at home with a hard soap. Not so clever with creams or crops but they don't count this time around.

All in all a superlative shave and vintage grin value.

Further words from my grandma to me often went down the road of, 'You speak a load of fucking shite lad'. So time to go

I leave you with those formation dancing girls 'Scandal' and some song or other. If my old gran wrote hits they'd all come with an explicit lyrics warning. These don't.

Wouldn’t have liked a slap off the old dear launching that ship back in the day!

You're not wrong, I was just surprised at how smooth it was even with a fresh blade. I'm curious to see whether the sealed blades that came with it might be usable.

Those Corrux blades are very often surprisingly ready for service. If you have a leather strop and a stropping mechanism give it 10 or 15 laps each way and enjoy ... naturally, any hint of rust under magnification just discard.

That 'New Jewel Combination Set' box is ridiculously nice!

It is :D

Actually, inside it's a single razor and two tubes, for soap and brush. Different to the usual razor, stropper and strop set that you'd see with the double clamshell Streamline set or the 'Sun Ray' double set.

vyY2PhODg21d8nPh4Zw7ofoDKJRr3JJdfPfUC0k46rlNH5O1o5b3B4g-gCg-gJs9_amdH9MmMu1T27NT9pVl3VMW6-eTy1G4doAboat9pSH-Lm8R5iryuNDzNA_rItPucNQYQ_sxJoN3VEIt3h2RQqs00XbcLj7y2ZN71bipTEqNhAHew5urTkOAsoDRC8Bb3Txn95-P5e_FjGCi_WivyScDgn4thKZdeKHRsyFfuqipviy_jKL_LOSjAOw01752n7wyux8itl86JkVwpq40YexeLAAeBJiz4WcaEmRrqCFq4JzjGusprgjQtDrQf2Hjf7MnlXVP2PpSVcKkAnqunY2ilb-9S6ZKKrFuZsh2uHpyslz7gXsexxZUG9Dzt3mfY41o_d9puj0cY09ouaELOxnJPQumy42Q4eHlW-VVFZNRAJw2_TvC2Ov7ZWE7K-AWdUh9afYn7NHNkaQ5F4r5vATe_DjGftRFh9yvhTf9rdsSch0mNqNceiGVIKzOu1YmYoptlSSljoj67E4qM60_rR66j68V7rzdgv-UlaQy907yqDmykVBz_murWIAhBXUyy15rClPwCXD847m90nt1L6Dl_Robi08AUCid4UnSdGS5SzoGCwC8LJQNCtQ1zwRt81T2knvuEHL7qFoVgmnVqhlD1nv_aDCe61vAUzDHRwvu0Lr4G7qXW-bwsl0hqDUpJf095j4wo8jxwhNaNHxe9xATUeVaRqXlzNSxSZkChopNZ8c3uCzlw5Cqdldy=w800

Last edited:
View attachment 92358
Simonpetra - Mount Athos

Can't be arsed sotd malaise has spread from Devon up north. Cracking shave though. - cheers - I.

That's quite a journey ... and a quicker spread than COVID! Malaise via the internet ... are we in the Matrix?

Actually, I rather enjoy your alternative pictures ... very meta :D

24/08/22
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus 1950
Soap - Arko Stick
Razor - 7 O' clock Gem
Blade - Modified GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Kilbreck -Neroli, Rosemary & Jasmine
A/S - Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 EDC
Wk 34 (6).JPG
2 passes with some touch up for a fine finish.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Why not? Orson Wells radio transmission of ‘War of the Worlds’ caused a mass hysteria after all in 1930’s America.
Yes I remember being told that. Always struck me as odd though. Because for one, it was set in SE England and two, when was the last time they had musical accompaniment to a disaster playing out on the news. OK I concede they may not have been playing Jeff Wayne's LP, maybe just a really good narrator reading the book, which I guess would make it a whole lot more believable. Except that UFOs etc are always in America. Those space aliens are pretty selective!

Aristocrat #66 with a Nacet blade.

Had a super shave and thought all was going to be good.

I can't work it out, last time I used Ramblin' Man, Mrs D really liked it. This morning not so much - I have been banished to my office, not allowed out until she buggers off, or the smell dissipates enough that she doesn't compare me to Dettol!!!! How she gets Dettol from this I don't know.

Anyhow, I'll just work and shout instructions for coffee - I don't think an outstretched hand with the cry "Brew me, wench!" will work though!
Trust you had Bob Seegers “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ man“ in the background when you shaved this time :)

Back
Top Bottom