SOTD : Saturday 1st May to Friday 7th May 2021.

Monday AM 2021-05-03
World Press Freedom Day
7QBL7E1.jpg

Rooney 3/1 Ivory Finest (22/50)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap (tallow)
Carbon Mokume-gane Brass/R2 Copper
Gillette Super Stainless 'Spoiler' (7)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave (vintage)

hiGx6iF.jpg

IMG_20210502_164032ss.jpeg

Of all the razors in my collection, the Rockwell Model T is the one at greatest risk of being sold on. On the plus side, I really like Rockwell as a company, their 6S is brilliant, the Model T is superbly built and feels so good in the hand and when loading a blade the gate engineering is pneumatic BUT it has a sharp, nasty, aggressive blade gap that wants to CUT you! It can be a vicious b********.

However, this time, things went surprisingly well, for a razor that doesn't always work for me. I experimented and set it to 4 for the first two passes. This is much higher than I would normally go, due to the increased blade exposure and feel but it did mean that I took more care and didn’t have to repeat over shaved areas. I managed one tiny nick setting the blade down on my chin, then tuned down to level 2 for ATG, especially on the neck, and bingo a DFS+.

I've a lot of German Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades, which I bought when I was starting out. To be honest, they have generally fallen into abeyance, as other brands have replaced them. I’ve found that they can be sharp and a bit harsh. Fortunately today, this one worked really well with the Model T, so my double gamble paid off. The Model T wins a stay of banishment.

The Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigars and Cognac soap provided a great deal of help, I took my time with the lather and was rewarded with oodles, think mountains of marshmallow peaks, smelling of booze and tobacco! Some users have reported mild skin irritation, and the packaging does mention not to use it if that happens. I've experienced it a couple of times with the soap, but this time it was fine. However the balm did induce a slight burning sensation, I rubbed the lotion around and it was gone shortly afterwards. There’s obviously something in there that provokes. I’ve not experienced any trouble with the aftershave and the scent is one of my favourites.

Razor: Rockwell Model T
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (1)
Soap: Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigars and Cognac
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigars and Cognac
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Sotd-03-05-21.jpg

This afternoon -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - M plate
blade - Lodz Polsilver (2)
soap - DR Harris - Marlborough tallow
brush - Semogue 2015 HD
post - witch hazel
a/s - Fine - Platinum
balm - Nivea - Cool Gel Hydrante
scent - none.

A nice antidote to a shitty, dark, pishy, dour and dreich day. I was supposed to be meeting a friend, a former colleague, on the banks of the Clyde for some alfresco drinkies - the first catch up, face to face, for 13 or so months - we were really looking forward to it - until weather stopped play. This of course, is Glasgow rules cocktails - get a carry out, find a nice bench with an attractive vista and then consume said 'cargo.' Defying stereotypes though - I had selected a decent reserva Marques de Caceres rioja and she, a respectable Cava - hell - I'd even found some plastic wine glasses in my camping kit - organised some olives and manchego cheese as nibbles but alas, it did not come to pass. A top end shave cheered me up though - pretty much nante to take off after yesterday but that wasn't really the point of the exercise. I'm away to open the wine. Enjoy shaving - I.

PS-Proraso
Brush-Omega Boar
Soap-GGR Berryfields o’ Blair
Blade-Tiger>SSX*
Razor-Yates OC
AS-Barts Lime
AAS-Lavender Oil (Dilute)

This shave got off to a bad start. The Tiger blade on its second outing was rapidly cast into blade purgatory and the replacement SSX saved the day. Never known a blade to be so rough I can only assume the gardener has been sneaking in and shaving her nether regions in my absence.

PS-Proraso
Brush-Omega Boar
Soap-GGR Berryfields o’ Blair
Blade-Tiger>SSX*
Razor-Yates OC
AS-Barts Lime
AAS-Lavender Oil (Dilute)

This shave got off to a bad start. The Tiger blade on its second outing was rapidly cast into blade purgatory and the replacement SSX saved the day. Never known a blade to be so rough I can only assume the gardener has been sneaking in and shaving her nether regions in my absence.

Send pics

View attachment 69262

This afternoon -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - M plate
blade - Lodz Polsilver (2)
soap - DR Harris - Marlborough tallow
brush - Semogue 2015 HD
post - witch hazel
a/s - Fine - Platinum
balm - Nivea - Cool Gel Hydrante
scent - none.

A nice antidote to a shitty, dark, pishy, dour and dreich day. I was supposed to be meeting a friend, a former colleague, on the banks of the Clyde for some alfresco drinkies - the first catch up, face to face, for 13 or so months - we were really looking forward to it - until weather stopped play. This of course, is Glasgow rules cocktails - get a carry out, find a nice bench with an attractive vista and then consume said 'cargo.' Defying stereotypes though - I had selected a decent reserva Marques de Caceres rioja and she, a respectable Cava - hell - I'd even found some plastic wine glasses in my camping kit - organised some olives and manchego cheese as nibbles but alas, it did not come to pass. A top end shave cheered me up though - pretty much nante to take off after yesterday but that wasn't really the point of the exercise. I'm away to open the wine. Enjoy shaving - I.
It is like here I, the government strategy for the summer is outdoors :) have they ever been to Ireland :)

Back
Top Bottom