SOTD: Saturday 18th December - Friday 24th December 2021.

View attachment 81798

SOTD: 20/12/2021

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux, 1st use
Brush: Akkawoodnresin Handle And Dscosmetic Bodger Knot
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Phoenix And Beau Trafalgar Puck
Aftershave: Phoenix And Beau Trafalgar Aftershave
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

First try out with my Dscosmetic Bodger and though it’ll need breaking in it is lovely. It needed a hell of a clean beforehand but seems clean now. It tackled the challenge of the P&B Trafalgar with ease and created a rich high mountain of lather very quickly. It could be a new favourite. The handle is lovely to and though it looks slightly odd portion wise seems to work well with my hands. All in all a lovely start to the week, though not quite making up for the wife now getting Covid too today which screws us until new year!
Hope you’re all doing OK. Take care. Regards Regards Brian

Tuesday DecemBOAR 21, 2021
Razor: Yaqi V3 Adjustable (The Final Cut)
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Fluffy Industries 86/Maggards Premium Boar
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
AS 2: Stirling Texas on Fire
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1140

So we are using a new razor today as well as the inaugural shave with the Fluffy Industries 86 Handle with a Maggards 24mm Premium Boar Knot. Using a manly brush like this calls for a Manly Soap Scent and Texas on Fire was summoned for duty. What an amazing shave I had from the brush handle (A heavy Beast) to the 1st use (1 test lather) Boar Knot to the Yaqi Adjustable. The scent was a bonus and will be enjoyed all day as I run the continuing chainsaw massacre on the hillside here.

The Brush: This handle is a heavy beast as I said but it feels great in the hand and looks amazing as well. I put a spit shine on mine and we'll see if I keep it shiny or let patina have it's way. Can't thank Ken enough for his generosity in sharing it and his creativity in his designs. The Knot had a single and short test lather after a hour soak in some water yesterday and lost 1 hair then. Today during the shave, clean up and towel strop it lost...............................again a SINGLE hair. That's amazing for a new boar knot. On top of that it feels soft already with zero pokey feeling and will only get better as it breaks in. This one is a keeper and I'm stoked I got the right knot set in this handle right from the get go.

The Razor: After reading about some saying 4 is a good starting point so I decided to follow suit. I can say I was pleasantly surprised by the shave after several strokes and thought this has some possibility. I can see how it might feel rough if set higher and will need to see as I experiment with it. That said I had a GREAT shave with it. ZERO weepers and ZERO irritation and a glass like finish after 3 passes. This one is a winner for me. Does it beat my Gibbs out ? NO. I had done the pass around with the Rex Ambassador and it to me was harsh. Then the Envoy which is supposed to be the Rex on setting 3. I didn't see that at all as the Envoy gave a great shave. Was the pass around razor before tweaking took place? Has my technique improved since then? I don't know. I don't have a Rex to compare to it now. I do know, I wasn't a new shaver when it was tested and this from memory feels a bunch better. Is the build quality as good? NO. But there is a huge price difference. Some compared it to the Pearl Flexi which I also owned and sold. The build on the Flexi is probably better as well being brass but the weight was crazy heavy on it and the shaves were so so for me. I got a better shave from the Yaqi myself and that's just me. Will be continuing to try other settings as well but setting 4 was a winner for me for comfort and closeness of the shave.
Hope everyone has a Stupendous Day !!!
IMG_20211220_210317545_HDR.jpgIMG_20211221_063340492_HDR.jpgIMG_20211221_063351924_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
60A50BAB-67AE-4C15-8B84-5EC994F57477.jpeg

SOTD: 21/12/2021

Razor: Hone 15
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 2nd use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: PAA Future Fiction Croap
Aftershave: Stirling Christmas Eve EDT
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

A beautiful shave from one of my favourite soaps. I’ve decided life’s too short to ‘underload’ my brush and a few more swirls won’t harm me. The results in recent days have been crazy amounts of lather, also helped with being off and at home so I could spend a little more time building the lather. I don’t know why I’ve not done this before I guess I’m stuck following PAA’s own 10 second swirl instructions and trying to make them last, (like I’m short on soaps or something!) This along with the ever joyful Hone 15 mild shave was a lovely start to the day, the Stirling Christmas Eve EDT was a wonderful eBay bargain that’s going to be nice enough for all year round.
Have a good day everyone.

21 December

Wickham 1912 Apricus
PAA The Green Ray
Rockwell 6S
Personna med prep
Lucky Tiger face tonic

A12376D2-B0B8-47F6-9335-1DAE485CD8BA.jpeg

Another classy shave from the Rockwell razor, and there is likely another shave in the Personna blade. I struggled a bit to get a good lather today, unlikely with the Wickham soaps, I know, but I got there in the end.

SOTD 29.jpg

Soap – Moon Soaps Trade Winds
Brush – Vie-Long Synthetic
Razor – EJ 3ONE6
Blade – Treet King
A/S – Epsilon BM
Balm – Lea 3in1

My only experience with Treet blades was the Platinum, which I tried in a few razors but wasn’t too keen on, but this Treet King was super smooth and very comfortable.
I'll need a few more shaves to see if it competes with Gillette Silver Blue and 7 O’clock Super Stainless ( Russian ). These are two stand out blades for me and I’m yet to find anything that matches them.
However, this was an excellent shave. Very close and comfortable with a beautiful scented soap and A/S.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves.

He's another one. Half his Emporium comes from PIF's
season 6 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

Back
Top Bottom