SOTD: Saturday 18 May - Friday 24 May 2024.

Milky May

Thursday 23rd May

AP1GczMyNC6rMfoBqjbVm88N3ZVulieABIxO6vIal0yIwG-C3z-ChmnbgoTBR-5Wf1AeDLaPmq5fRZV5T_yAzWTxoxBo_K_vWjd4w3UjtfxJcdP4xeyODzvfNwhYCum1UK1h3ovtZaOqHt3aabwpcLWgXFP4qw=w800

Haslinger Schafmilch Shaving Soap & Semogue SOC Taj Pure Bristle
Muhle R89 Twist & Permasharp Super (1)
Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion

Round 2 with the 1912...

US Made 1912 (prefer weightier handle)
GEM Blade (2)(1)
Oumu Badger (more of a fan and stiffer than the gel tip)
P&B Albion
Nivea sensitive cool balm

So, swapped from the ER to the US made, 1912, shave was still not what I remember. So threw the blade and grabbed another, things started to improve. Much smoother shave, couple of little rubs but I suspect they are down to being a bit rusty with the SE, having what I think is normally quite a steep shave angle I have to keep an eye on things with the 1912 and was getting a wriggle on today. Still rate the 1912 as great value vintage razor, in fact barring my techs performance Vs cost it can't really be beaten in my collection anyway

Stay well all

Round 2 with the 1912...

US Made 1912 (prefer weightier handle)
GEM Blade (2)(1)
Oumu Badger (more of a fan and stiffer than the gel tip)
P&B Albion
Nivea sensitive cool balm

So, swapped from the ER to the US made, 1912, shave was still not what I remember. So threw the blade and grabbed another, things started to improve. Much smoother shave, couple of little rubs but I suspect they are down to being a bit rusty with the SE, having what I think is normally quite a steep shave angle I have to keep an eye on things with the 1912 and was getting a wriggle on today. Still rate the 1912 as great value vintage razor, in fact barring my techs performance Vs cost it can't really be beaten in my collection anyway

I read your notes from yesterday's shave as well and it struck me that having given 1912s and the like quite a break, when I came back to them also found the shave to be quite bracing and even quite raw off the first shave on a fresh blade. I guess DE shaving made me soft! Actually, I very quickly figured out to lighten my touch ... and lighten it quite consciously so. After a shave or two, the muscle memory retained and it was plain sailing again.

Having had that little break, it became very apparent just how different the shaves are. I also had to consciously adjust what I thought was a good angle with the 1912 based on seeing striations in the lather. Dip the angle back so that doesn't happen - if the comb does come into play, the pressure does need increasing for the blade to fully connect with the skin. Conversely, knock the angle back and the blade presents its faceted edge better and the pressure can actively be relieved.

Remember, these GEM blades are seethingly sharp from the off and it's not until at least the third shave that the initial rawness turns smooth. Still ruddy sharp through to 10 or more shaves.

Maybe try that?

I read your notes from yesterday's shave as well and it struck me that having given 1912s and the like quite a break, when I came back to them also found the shave to be quite bracing and even quite raw off the first shave on a fresh blade. I guess DE shaving made me soft! Actually, I very quickly figured out to lighten my touch ... and lighten it quite consciously so. After a shave or two, the muscle memory retained and it was plain sailing again.

Having had that little break, it became very apparent just how different the shaves are. I also had to consciously adjust what I thought was a good angle with the 1912 based on seeing striations in the lather. Dip the angle back so that doesn't happen - if the comb does come into play, the pressure does need increasing for the blade to fully connect with the skin. Conversely, knock the angle back and the blade presents its faceted edge better and the pressure can actively be relieved.

Remember, these GEM blades are seethingly sharp from the off and it's not until at least the third shave that the initial rawness turns smooth. Still ruddy sharp through to 10 or more shaves.

Maybe try that?
Good advice, and somewhat aligns with what I think is going on. Too steep an angle so I'm causing what I feel as blade chatter, with sharp blades as thick as the GEM there is no give as with a DE. So couple of little rubs/rougher shave then I'd like is inevitable really. Adjust the grip and keep the razor much flatter and see where that goes.

In the past I have got good shaves with both 1912 razors, just need the muscle memory prompting.

But it is keeping things more interesting of late and somewhat stopped shaving just being a daily job with the DE or Injector.

19FE79AE-1486-4044-8C96-768D3898D5F4.jpeg
Simpson Chubby 1 SiLVERTiP
Schick L2 Twinjector
Japanese Schick Twin (2)
OSP Barbershop
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
Paco Rabanne a/s

Haven’t used the twin Schick for a while, so gave it an outing this evening.
It delivered a very nice close, finish effortlessly.
Enjoy yours gents.

SOTD Thu 23 May 2024

Born in the USA, not, shave
027C7250-16E4-4F31-9112-86E1FD4E6063.jpeg
Prep - hot shower, lather face wash
Bowl - DSCosmetic green bowl
Cream - Proraso Blue
Brush - Yaqi Cola 22mm synthetic
Razor - Muhle R89 Twist
Blade - Racer Platinum Class (4)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse
Splash - homemade (witch hazel and essential oils), Forest Fresh ASL
Balm - Nivea Replenishing PSB
Fragrance - Jeff&Co Carbon EDT

Mr Springsteen played Sunderland on Wednesday night (not sure who won!) Hope he had his wellies and sou’wester with him as it was fairly biblical weather last night!
Tonight’s shave was a much calmer proposition. Getting to be my favourite collection of bits and pieces. Great performing and value for money cream, decent working brush, boss razor and a still sharp blade (although it will be replaced next time). All finished off with a fine collection of lotions and potions, leaving my face feeling and smelling rock star good (probably!)

5766D338-20E8-45C3-8157-4705866265F2.jpeg
Turn that music down, will you! There are retired dogs trying to sleep here you know.

Last edited:
Fri 24
Soap LaToja Stick
Aftershave Yaqi Malibu
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Gillette Red Tip
Blade American Shave Platinum
Another wonderful lather from the soap and brush combination...
The razor is good and so is the rare blade... an excellent shave...hopefully the penultimate before disembarkation...
20240524_104405.jpg

Exactly the same shave as yesterday except I used the Shark blade that a few days ago didn't work well for me in the Sticky.
It was great in the Red Ring so I will bear it in mind for future shaves.
I bet an English Wilkie will be great in this... I'll find out tomorrow!

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: (BORROWED) Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Unbranded vintage boar Small, wooden handle
Lather: D R Harris Windsor
Aftershave: Superdrug Forest Fresh

Back
Top Bottom