5-7-12

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Feather AS-D1
Supermax Platinum (3)
New Forest Tubby 1
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad Cream
Nivea replenishing balm
Witch hazel

An experiment tonight to find out how close to my DE shaves I'm getting with the Feather Artist SS - the AS-D1 isn't particularly close but its very comfortable, The bad news is that the straight technique still has a way to go to match it, but thats no great surprise at the moment. Ah well, practise makes perfect and I've not bled for a while (famous last words there!)

05-07-12.jpg

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Le Tuft w a 22 mm Simpson super knot
Razor: Three Crosses
Super lather: Dr Harris Almond + Proraso
AS: ROMA + Lucky Tiger AS (really nice combo)
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Close to uberclean :D

0041024x648.jpg

Love your photo's Mikael

Bath
Pre: Proraso and Hot Flannel in the bath
Pre: GFT Skin Food and hotter flannel
Soap: Proraso
Brush: Kent
Razor: Slant 'Barber Pole'
Blade: Perma-Sharp
AS: Arlington

Lovely Jubbly.

Aqueous cream
Progress with Ever Ready (2nd use) on 2, 1.5
Roger and Gallett L'homme shaving soap
Body Shop Weber aftershave balm

Initially loaded a Bolzano Super Inox - an expensive blade i don't use often because it doesn't work well in a lot of razors. For the first time the Progress gave me a draggy shave and didn't remove a lot of stubble, like when I used it in the fatboy - but worse! The ever ready was blunt towards the end of the shave so it was a pretty average job this morning.

Used the Arber while i wait for my Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balsalm with Tuxedo scent to turn up. Seems pretty good.

If anyone can tell me what razor the bolzano work well in, other than the fatboy and progress, I'd be grateful!

Friday:
Futur / Feather (nope, this razor isn't for me)
Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush
D R Harris Almond Cream
Geo F Trumper Spanish Leather EDT

Never been a big one for cherry / marzipan creams but thought I'd give them another bash (you know how it is). Not too shabby.

Happy Friday everyone:

Penhaligons brush nickel / best
Truefitt and Hill hard soap
Edwin Jagger DE87
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Ogalalla bay rum, lime and peppercorns

Not bad at all.

today's shave

20120706328.jpg

Dove Soap/hot face cloth prep
KROPP 5/8 straight razor
Talors sandlewood shaving cream
Kent BK2 Brush
Cold face cloth to finish

Result BSS WTG

Now I know why people like the KROPP razors so much....... WOW... she's a lovely razor :heart: ( Don't tell my wife I said that )

NotTheStig said:
Aqueous cream
Progress with Ever Ready (2nd use) on 2, 1.5
Roger and Gallett L'homme shaving soap
Body Shop Weber aftershave balm

Initially loaded a Bolzano Super Inox - an expensive blade i don't use often because it doesn't work well in a lot of razors. For the first time the Progress gave me a draggy shave and didn't remove a lot of stubble, like when I used it in the fatboy - but worse! The ever ready was blunt towards the end of the shave so it was a pretty average job this morning.

Used the Arber while i wait for my Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balsalm with Tuxedo scent to turn up. Seems pretty good.

If anyone can tell me what razor the bolzano work well in, other than the fatboy and progress, I'd be grateful!

I find them pretty good in an EJ89. Never tried them in anything else. Not the smoothest shave, but I find them comfortable and do the job without irritation.

Off work today, so no rush at all and lo and behold, The Enchantress (TM) had turned up in yesterday's post. Only one thing for it... lots of prep and a leisurely shave:

Soap and hot water face wash
Hot flannels applied for a good 5 minutes
Proraso pre-shave
Speick cream / Kent BK2 brush

Then the important decision...
Enchantress Slant coupled with a new Crystal Super Platinum blade (which I think turned out to be a nice combination)

Alum
Taylor's Gentleman's Aftershave (one of the £3.50 brigade off ebay)
Clinique post-shave healer

I have to say, I was pretty concerned as I started to shave, but once I stopped looking at the squiffy head shape and concentrated on the shave itself, the first (WTG) pass went off without a hitch. I'd got a couple of days growth and the slant sliced through it no problem at all.

The second pass (XTG) was also smooth as you like (again, the lightest of touches used) - possibly even nicer than the first as the lather was a little wetter due to the water on my face from the first rinse off.

So... third pass - ATG. No blood, which is a positive, and it worked really well on the coarse hair under my chin and on the sides of my jaw. I was less happy around the top lip, but that's a tricky area with any razor given that the hair is like wire and really takes some shifting.

My neck was where I really felt it. The razor glided over (and, in some places, through) everything - one or two tiny nicks but a close finish. However, post shave I now feel a slight burn in this area and think I'll be back for a second helping of moisturiser later.

Overall, though - it was a great shave compared to the uncomfortable rush-jobs I've had to put up with recently. Not at all as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I'll reserve judgement until I've used it a few times, but B+ so far.

Sanguine all metal shavette
BIC Astor (first pass)
TOPAZ Plat. (2nd pass)
Fume lavender
Omega 40652 imitation badger
Thayers Rose petal
ARKO sport a/s cream

Had some difficulties with the Astor in the first pass. Tugging, and not that comfortable. Switched to a Topaz and finished the shave with that.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage butterscotch Made Rite badger
1958 Executive/Personna74 (NOS)
MWF
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic

Another squeaky clean/smooth shave (#5) with this set up.

BBS results,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom