Saving my face for a two days shave tomorrow... :D
0081024x796.jpg

shavecraft said:
NotTheStig said:
Aqueous cream
Progress with Ever Ready (2nd use) on 2, 1.5
Roger and Gallett L'homme shaving soap
Body Shop Weber aftershave balm

Initially loaded a Bolzano Super Inox - an expensive blade i don't use often because it doesn't work well in a lot of razors. For the first time the Progress gave me a draggy shave and didn't remove a lot of stubble, like when I used it in the fatboy - but worse! The ever ready was blunt towards the end of the shave so it was a pretty average job this morning.

Used the Arber while i wait for my Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balsalm with Tuxedo scent to turn up. Seems pretty good.

If anyone can tell me what razor the bolzano work well in, other than the fatboy and progress, I'd be grateful!

I find them pretty good in an EJ89. Never tried them in anything else. Not the smoothest shave, but I find them comfortable and do the job without irritation.

Thanks Shavecraft. I don't have my EJ89 anymore. Don't suppose you havetried them in a Slim Adjustable, Old Type, open comb New, Schick Krona, Aristocrat 16, Wizamet W11 or Fat Tech? Or anybody else out there? Thanks in advance.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (15)
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Soap: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Scent: Trumper's Sandalwood

Still shaving beautifully after three weeks, but I shan't push it a fourth - my experience is that they deteriorate around number 17 or so.

Dr Rick said:

Still shaving beautifully after three weeks, but I shan't push it a fourth - my experience is that they deteriorate around number 17 or so.

I swapped my first blade out after about 10 outings as I was still managing to cut myself in many varied ways and didn't particularly want the blade to join in the festivities! I didn't want to ask how long I should maybe expect the blade to last for fear of appearing some sort of numpty....which I now do :blush: ah well, hopefully I've maybe got just about enough technique now to be able to tell if its me or the razor drawing blood....hopefully.

No shave for me tonight, I'm saving myself as I'm popping my proper traditional straight razor cherry tomorrow morning :icon_cheesygrin: so stay tuned for bloodfest II - the blade on the traditional looks about 50% longer that the feather so thats potentially 50% more blood and gore - smashing!

barlines said:
Dr Rick said:

I swapped my first blade out after about 10 outings as I was still managing to cut myself in many varied ways and didn't particularly want the blade to join in the festivities! I didn't want to ask how long I should maybe expect the blade to last for fear of appearing some sort of numpty....which I now do :blush: ah well, hopefully I've maybe got just about enough technique now to be able to tell if its me or the razor drawing blood....hopefully.

No shave for me tonight, I'm saving myself as I'm popping my proper traditional straight razor cherry tomorrow morning :icon_cheesygrin: so stay tuned for bloodfest II - the blade on the traditional looks about 50% longer that the feather so thats potentially 50% more blood and gore - smashing!

Let's all hope that doesn't happen my friend, we all have our fingers crossed for you.

I didn't try a trad straight until I had eight or nine months of Feathers behind me, and the extra length of curing edge was confusing, but they are less frighteningly sharp, at least.

Have you considered the ProGuard blades? I'm quite certain they limit the consequences of moments of foolishness and rookie errors.

As to blade life - all blades, DE, Artist, indeed cartridges, seem to last well for me, possibly because I don't shave all of my face. But for me the sweet spot with the Artist is the second week - the blade just gets better :).

Another great shave with the USA personna and Jagger. Used Art of Shaving Sea Kelp, nice scent while you shave. Lathered up with a Trufitt and Hill branded Rooney, finished with alum block and 4711!

Fresh summer scents, great way to start weekend!

Dr Rick said:
I didn't try a trad straight until I had eight or nine months of Feathers behind me, and the extra length of curing edge was confusing, but they are less frighteningly sharp, at least.

Have you considered the ProGuard blades? I'm quite certain they limit the consequences of moments of foolishness and rookie errors.

As to blade life - all blades, DE, Artist, indeed cartridges, seem to last well for me, possibly because I don't shave all of my face. But for me the sweet spot with the Artist is the second week - the blade just gets better :).

I must say I did after I put the new blade in, it was definitely more aggressive and then seemed to get a bit more forgiving as the week went on, I'd managed to convince myself that it must be me getting better but apparently not :blush:

I may have been exaggerating 'slightly' with the blood and gore and despite my shocking technique I've only had a few notable cuts (and most of those were not whilst actually shaving). I do seem to get a few pinheads of blood just under the corners of my mouth quite regularly which I also did with the DE early on, I need to be very light around there normally despite me having very heavy growth just there, I'll figure that one out soon hopefully. I also found going back to the DE a couple of times I've realized my WTG angle has been off with the straight and has helped identify and correct that which has helped enormously on my neck. Shaving one-handed at times has also helped but I'm adamant to learn with both hands.

In all, things are starting to come together now and I'm much more comfortable with the whole thing. I made myself a deal when I started to learn straight shaving that if it was working out well and I was going to continue with the straight, that I'd buy a couple of nice trad straights and commit myself properly to both straight and DE shaving.

It will at this step be you improving much more than anything else! You're in the nearly vertical part of the S curve where your shaves will be getting markedly better :).

I will cheerfully admit that I used the guards early on to give myself courage, mostly.

7-7-12

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Joseph Rodgers and Sons "The Norfolk Razor"
Proraso white (New Formula)
Simpson Tulip T1
Nivea replenishing balm
Witch hazel

My first traditional straight razor shave. This razor (courtesy of TSRs Swedish division-Thanks Mikael) despite being very vintage is an ergonomic delight to hold and use, I have small hands (no clever comments please) and this thing, despite the fact the blade is half as long again as the feather SS, is so much easier for me to work with. I love the swayed back which keeps the point a little way from the the sticking out bits on my face which I'm quite attached to.

I'd already come to the conclusion from other posts that the shave was going to be tuggy compared to the feather. What did surprise me was that some of it was and some of it wasn't depending on the amount of growth. Now begins the learning of yet another new skill - stropping.

A very satisfying first outing with this razor - this one is for high days and holidays (and probably most Saturdays too).

7-7-12.jpg

You too Mikael, you are very modest as I find myself looking forward to your SOTD pics every day along with the others as well. As well as the the small studio photography thing you have going on, you have some nice toys!

I've noticed you seem to get more decent natural light at the moment than we do here but I moved my SOTD pic down to the kitchen this morning to make use of the early morning sunshine to show the razor off at its best hopefully.

barlines said:
You too Mikael, you are very modest as I find myself looking forward to your SOTD pics every day along with the others as well. As well as the the small studio photography thing you have going on, you have some nice toys!

I've noticed you seem to get more decent natural light at the moment than we do here but I moved my SOTD pic down to the kitchen this morning to make use of the early morning sunshine to show the razor off at its best hopefully.

that's what I do with the sunshine in my kitchen for my photo's, good minds think alike.
I am glad you like the straight razor, I find them fun to shave with.

Back
Top Bottom