SOTD Sat 23rd Mar - Fri 29th Mar 2013

chrisbell said:
Even after 2 1/2 years of DE shaving, the result is so close and smooth that I'm faceturbating, which is something I thought I'd left behind way back.:s

ROFL!

Never heard that expression before, but I shall be using it frequently from now on!

Re: RE: SOTD Sat 23rd Mar - Fri 29th Mar 2013

Burgundy said:
Weber Polished, Bulldog
Polsilver Stainless (4)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Alum, witch hazel
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule

Not an enjoyable shave.
Why?

NotTheStig said:
Burgundy said:
Weber Polished, Bulldog
Polsilver Stainless (4)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Alum, witch hazel
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule

Not an enjoyable shave.
Why?
It wasn't that bad, I guess, just not as good as I've come to expect. I rushed through three passes, didn't pay attention to the cutting angles, and as a result didn't shave as closely as usual nor as smoothly. Hence the alum. Impatience and a touch of complacency.

Happens from time to time. I used a cartridge today. Result was good but always feels odd to scrape away at my face. The shaving cream makes a big difference over gel/foam, to me.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
Schick M type adjustable injector/Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS and sharp as a bastard)
Surrey SS (well before the VDH reformulation(
Boots AS Balm
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

I sometimes forget how sharp these old blades are and today was a little careless using this injector. Yep, couple small weepers that coulda been avoided. Sheeesh, my own fault. I do like this shaving combo though, and the old soap is quite luscious to use. Very slick stuff.

BBS results,

Martin

NotTheStig said:
Happens from time to time. I used a cartridge today. Result was good but always feels odd to scrape away at my face. The shaving cream makes a big difference over gel/foam, to me.
I think I might go for some cartridge shaves for a week or two. I'm going away anyway.

Re: RE: SOTD Sat 23rd Mar - Fri 29th Mar 2013

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Tuesday 26th March 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Pushbutton
Blade: Treet Carbon
Brush: Semogue OC Boar
Soap: Speick grated into a container
Aftershave: Floid Balm

First try with these blades very kindly given to me by Ed (Monkeytennis) and first impressions are all good, quite smooth and very sharp, no tugging. A really good shave, I'll use the blade to it's end to see how many shaves I get. I don't know if they are any different from the GEM Blue star carbon, I find it is hard to hold in your memory what a blade is like unless it is extremely good or extremely bad.

Thanks Ed!

Regards
Dick.

DSC04097.JPG

Glad you liked them! They are a nice sharp smooth blade that seem to have decent life on them.

Evening, all.

Tuesday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Lord L122
Blade: Dorco (3)
Brush: The Soap Shed Super Badger
Shave cream: Crabtree and Evelyn, Sienna
A/S: Jovan Musk

Because yesterday's cartridge shave didn't cut as close as usual, I had more stubble to sacrifice this morning, which made for an excellent shave.

Hot shower & 3P cream
Trumpers Coconut cream (thanks Tainted)
Red Tip Gillette with Green 7 o'clock (3)
NF2213
Clarins aftershave energizer

All in all a good shave think the lather was a bit dry towards the end, but we live and learn.

Mikael said:
John said:
... and my son He's been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum disorder, :blush: quiet a lot to take in to be honist.:s

Oh my, I wish you guys the best! I think there's much evidence on the subjekt nowadays though and that there should be tons of good advice on how to live with this.

Thank you Mikael, and for everyone for your kind words :heart:

TUESDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot flannel
Soap: Irsch Moos stick - face lathered
Brush: Simpsons Wee Scott
Razor: 1934 Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Polsilver (4)

Have wanted a Wee Scott for a while, so snapped up Niral's on the BST.

Wow, they're amazingly good for such a tiny brush. It will definitely be travelling with me next week.

Should definitely have binned the Polsilver last night. I can't argue about the closeness of the shave, but when I applied the Alcolado Glacial I almost shot through the roof and I also had about four weepers that I had to attack with the styptic pencil.

Hopefully less blood with a new blade tomorrow.

Bulldog face wash
Futur
Derby (3)
Tabac soap
SOC 2 band
Aqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere ASB

Haven't used a Derby for a while. Technique has come on a bit recently and they feel better than they used to, but still some way off the top of the list. Always like to have a box in stock, though.

Derby shave stick
Henk walnut silvertip
Fat Tech gold
Vintage Gillette Super Silver
Superdrug Forearm Fresh

Really easy, close shave. One cheek/bordering on eye socket nick.

Wednesday xxvii March

Prep: Shower, Arran Aromatics Lavender and Tea Tree Face wash
Pre: Cold water splash
Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage & Cedar Stick
Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger turnback
Razor: Gem Micromatic OC
Blade: Gem PTFE
Splash: Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar

Result: Still love the Micromatic OC, but maybe one shave too far with this blade. I gave the Dickinson & Gilroy a good lathering in the shower last night in an attempt to soften it, but it'll need some more work yet. As a consequence I used my turnback finest badger. I think I have shaved pretty much every day for the last month and a combination of the unbroken in D&G brush and a Gem blade in decline my face feels a little raw today, so maybe a day off tomorrow, or a single pass shave with a mild razor.

Have a good day everyone.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom