SOTD Sat 23rd Mar - Fri 29th Mar 2013

Tuesday afternoon.

Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash, Cold Water
Soap: Nanny's Bergamot & Coriander Soft Soap
Brush: Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger
Razor: 40's English Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Clinique Post-Shave Healer, Clinique M Lotion
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

One little nick under the nose due to carelessness but otherwise a very fine shave. Lab Blues really are outstanding for their longevity and consistency, and for providing close and smooth shaves. Excellent price/performance ratio too. Maybe I should pick up another 100...

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
NF Tubby 1, MWF
Fatboy (#6), Permasharp (3)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

Thought I'd give the fatboy another try out. It was OK, and no irritation or cuts. It was the sort of performance that turned me on to the fatboy in the first place... but I can get smoother with my Weber with a lot less fuss. I suspect if I used it for a month I'd find it was excellent.

Tuesday 26th

sotd26313.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons Harvard 4 best badger brush
Merkur Progress short handle set at 2.5
Lord super (2)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Not the very closest shave today, no irritation or nicks, got DFS in the end :icon_rolleyes: . Final shave for this blade they're cheap so don't mind just 2 shaves instead of my normal 3. The Arlington scent one of my favourites :heart: .

Brian

It's been a long while since I posted an SOTD, to the point where many newer members may never have come across one.:blush: Today's shave was so good, however, that I've decided to post it

Confiança Redondo glycerine soap with hot flannel prep
Proraso menthol and eucalyptus pre-shave cream
Trumpers coconut oil cream, bowl-lathered
Sodium bicarbonate as a water-softening agent (see below)
New Forest 2213 silvertip
Merkur 34c with NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (1)
Prof. Blighty Blue Ginger AS
Boots styptic pencil:blush:

3 passes plus touch-ups
Result - as close to BBS as I'm ever going to get

I find that all of the Creighton's-made creams I've used (Trumpers, Taylors and Real Shave Co.) are sensitive to my ultra-hard water; the sweet spot is narrowed and the lather lacks lubrication. Adding a pinch of bicarb to the water in my lather bowl, where I soak my brush, and about 1/3rd-1/2 teaspoon to the basin improves the lather quality no end, widening the sweet spot and generating loads of dense, creamy, lubricating lather. Even after 2 1/2 years of DE shaving, the result is so close and smooth that I'm faceturbating, which is something I thought I'd left behind way back.:s

Styptic use was due to a couple of weepers near the corner of my mouth, where I have a patch of delicate skin. I rarely get them there unless, as I did today, I get sufficiently carried-away with the quality of the shave that I try for BBS. They'd stopped weeping by the time I used the styptic, but I prefer to use it if in doubt.

Tuesday morning:

La Toja stick
Semogue SOC Boar
Gillette Long Comb New/Weber Bulldog
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Blue Stratos AS
Nivea Cool Kick ASB

Lovely shave. I was in a hurry this morning but still got a great shave.

DE89 / Barley Handle
Gillette 'sharpedge' (3)
MWF F.L.
Finest Badger
Alum

Thought I'd try a slight variation in technique rather than the usual WTG, XTG and ATG. XTG and ATG with a little light buffing resulting in BBS with no alum sting on face and almost none on neck and obviously faster too. Will persevere with this and see how it goes in the longer term with different blades - Feather and Personna Super on my 'to try' list.

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: English HD Rocket
Blade: Treet Platinum #1
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 Best
Soap: Lea Stick
Aftershave: Floid Black

A nice 2 pass cold water face lather shave

Still going through my untested blades, these ones were ok, a middle of the road blade, not good enough for me to buy any more though.

Tuesday 03-26-13. MUSIC: David Bowie Stage Album (1978).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVPqmSGh-kc[/video]

72fb7380-e536-43a5-8b61-dab5e930a588.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Simpson Chubby 2 best badger - Merkur 11C - Iridium Super #1 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Martin de Candre - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Korres - ASL Ach. Brito.

cvR2H3a.jpg

Prep: Shower then cold rinse
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Brush: Fred Dickinson travel brush (from the group buy)
Blade: GEM PTFE SE blade
Soap: Arko
Post-Shave: Alum
A/S: Floris Cefiro
Result: Great third shave with the 1912 and GEM blade. Really smooth after two quick passes. The travel brush was nice and firm - really suited to face lathering - and only lost one bristle on its first use. Really chuffed with it.

Today's shave

Muhle R41 (Hannibal lecter)
Wilkinson sword blade
NSS Scotch pine (Face Lartherd)
Kent BK8 brush
Old Spice cologne

Results BSS WTG

Got a small nick under the nose, nothing to worry about. Ok I'll admit I wasn't concentrating. I was thinking about my GEM G Bar that's going to be arriving soon, and my son He's been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum disorder, :blush: quiet a lot to take in to be honist.:s

John said:
... and my son He's been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum disorder, :blush: quiet a lot to take in to be honist.:s

Oh my, I wish you guys the best! I think there's much evidence on the subjekt nowadays though and that there should be tons of good advice on how to live with this.

NotTheStig said:
Sorry to hear that, mate. I have a half-brother who is autistic. There is a lot of understanding about this these days.

Thanks NTS, was at hospital to day for a consultation,they tested him last week along with his ADHD, things are never dull around my place ( apart from used blades, naturally:)

John said:
... and my son He's been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum disorder, :blush: quiet a lot to take in to be honist.:s
I teach several children on the 'spectrum' (in a mainstream secondary school). Obviously, some have differing needs (and levels of needs) than others. Now that you have a diagnosis, push for plenty of support strategies for both home and school (speak to the school's SENCO). But don't let the diagnosis reduce your opinion of your son! He still has much to achieve and potential to realise!

Burgundy said:
John said:
I teach several children on the 'spectrum' (in a mainstream secondary school). Obviously, some have differing needs (and levels of needs) than others. Now that you have a diagnosis, push for plenty of support strategies for both home and school (speak to the school's SENCO). But don't let the diagnosis reduce your opinion of your son! He still has much to achieve and potential to realise!

I totally agree with you, we've got a good secondary school with a fantastic SENCO lined up (thinking one step ahead:icon_razz:)

Back
Top Bottom