SOTD Sat 23rd Feb - Fri 1st Mar 2013...

I don;t usually post in SOTD as mine varies very little. I try to change only one thing at a time. However, with the T&H sample pack I've been swapping lots around but today I was back to the Castle Forbes shaving cream and the only new thing was a different blade:

Prep 1: hot shower
Prep 2: Castle Forbes pre-shave
Brush: Simpsons Tulip 2 (soaked during the shower)
Bowl: Steve Woodhouse flat one
Cream: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: iKon OSS
Blade: Super Max Platinium
Finish 1: V cold water splash
Finish 2: Tayers Witch hazel w/ Aloe Vera & Lanvender
Moisturiser: Fitjar

Bloody nice shave. I suspect it's the cream rather than the razor - the CF stuff just seems so much thicker and slicker than the T&H ones I've been trying.

11gsyrl.jpg

Pre hot towel & Prep + L'Occitane CADE soap + Frank Shaving Finest + Pearl open comb with Astra + Thayers Medicated + L'Occitane CADE balm

Another good shave with excellent ingredients, although I should replaced the blade. Definitely this razor head is very sensible to blades quality.

Cheers!

Sir_eider said:
11gsyrl.jpg

Pre hot towel & Prep + L'Occitane CADE soap + Frank Shaving Finest + Pearl open comb with Astra + Thayers Medicated + L'Occitane CADE balm

Another good shave with excellent ingredients, although I should replaced the blade. Definitely this razor head is very sensible to blades quality.

Cheers!

Thayer's Medicated and Cade! Some of my absolute favourites.

Cold shower
Proraso pre/post
Fitjar Lighthouse
M&F blonde badger
Aristo w/Rapira
Speick AS
Speick ASB

Rapira is a horrible blade. Some love it - not sure why. Nevermore. Rest of the stuff was great.

Sunday

Merkur 34C
Shark SS
Nameless Badger Brush
Proraso Blue Cream
Proraso Blue ASB

The shave itself was fine but left it a day too long before shaving again and had been scratching my face which in turn caused some irritation.

Sunday 24th

sotd24213.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Nanny's Warm spice hard soap scuttle lathered
Simpsons POLO 10 best badger brush
Merkur Progress long handle set at 2.5
Gillette super thin (3)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Close comfortable shave, one small nick from me not paying attention :icon_evil: soon stopped though. Tomorrow a different razor I think and new blade.

Brian

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons rebranded best
'Webly'/Perma-Sharp (NOS)
Yardley SS (old stuff in the bowl)
Boots AS Balm Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

Much as I try to like this old soap, I can't help thinking there's a bunch of others I prefer. This old soap gets great reviews but I just don't get it. Very little fragrance left and just a little above average performance. Heh, it'll be used again in another 4-5 months.

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: New Forest Super Badger
Soap: Provence Sante
Razor: 7 o'clock New with iKon Bulldog
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

This was my first usage of this soap, I have had it a while but never had a spare soap dish for it, until yesterdays rummage around the market. It really is quite marvellous, I got an excellent cushiony lather and it's a very pleasant scent, quite floral but not overly so, hard to explain but very nice.

First use of this blade as well, very smooth and a very nice blade. This is up there with the best of them. :)

Overall an excellent relaxed shave, this is what Sundays are for :)

It's looks a nice razor in the flesh, in good condition, amazing what you see when you take a close look.

IMG_0506_zpsd6ba9631.jpg

Afternoon, all.

Sunday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 head with an iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Brush: Ecotools Bamboo Finishing Kabuki brush
Shave soap: Mama Bear's Bay Rum
A/S: Pashana Bay Rum Hair Tonic
Cologne: Rive Gauche Intense

Nice, easy-on-the-face shave.

Hot flannel
Proraso Pre, white
New Forest 1901 brush, Tabac shaving stick
ATT Atlas R1, Astra SP (2)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave soother

Second go with the Atlas R1 and it all went a lot better... I found it worked better with a shallower angle and even managed a no-fuss touch-up on a sensitive bit of my neck. Considering I started out with some residual tenderness from yesterday the net result was pretty much irritation-free and definitely weeper-free. The application of the alum block did not set me a-roarin'
Tried out my holiday set-up of NF 1901 brush and Tabac stick... worked like a dream. I have to say that the Tabac lathers up with the best!

Feeling rather smooth and smug now

Prep: Shower
Brush: Semogue Boar OC Cherry
Soap: Martin de Candre (scented)
Razor: Dumas 5/8" near wedge
Astringent: Osma Alum
Balm: Martin de Candre Camomile Oil
Eau de Toilette: Woods of Windsor

SOTD8_zps76053bff.jpg

Notes: Quick and hurried. Just a shave test of a cleaned up freebie. Not keen enough - needs tweaking.

Today's Shave

sotd14213.jpg

GEM Micromatic OC
GEM Blade
NSS Arabian Nights
Kent BK8 Brush
Suribachi Bowl

Result BSS WTG

The one thing I admire about this razor is its ability to chomp through beards
smoothly and without fuss. The R41 shaves just as close on me but you do have to trust it not to ripppp your face off however, and for men thats a lot to ask if you don't trust it in the first place ...interestingly I wonder if the micromatic was the hot hatch of its day.

A close shaver no doubt, out of the two I like both razors....

but vintage got there first :p:p:p:p

Sunday late afternoon.

Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash with cold water
Soap: T&H 1805
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Razor: Polished Weber/Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette Super Silver (1)
A/S: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda After Shave Balm
EDT: Pen's Juniper Sling

First time with Gillette Super Silver. Didn't know much about this blade and although it didn't feel as smooth as some of the other blades I've been using the final result was very good. Might not buy them in quantity but it was certainly a nice surprise.

ATT Titan M1 / Lab Blue
Neep #1214 - Aztec Leopard Skin Jasper
Proraso Red Sandalwood cream (New Formula)
Witch Hazel

THAT.....was great :)

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: FaTip Weber Bulldog
Blade: Supermax Super Stainless #1
Brush: Neep 26x48 Stone Extra Slivertip
Soap: Lea Shave Stick
AS: Speick Splash

Nice 2 pass cold water face lather shave.

1st time using that blade, i thought it was about time i test my Supermax blades, not bad in the FaTip. Although the wrapper said super stainless, the blade only said stainless.

Gillette Super adjustable on 3
Personna Lab Blue (2)
Omega 10065 boar
Cella soap
Alum, witch hazel, Boots freshwood balm

This was the shave where it all came together. I normally do 3 passes, one with, two against the grain, and end up with a bit of irritation around my top lip as the 3rd pass should really just be a touch up pass I realise now.

Today I went for two passes, one across and one against, and although it wasn't completely BBS, it was close, and it felt wonderful, with no irritation. I won't push for 3 passes until my technique is better, or it's necessary. I think I was being stupid before, doing 3 passes, desperately wanting BBS everywhere. I'll stick with this method, because this was my most enjoyable shave so far!

Alex

Back
Top Bottom