SOTD sat 21 july through to fri 27th july.

Wednesday

Dovo Best Quality 5/8
EJ Silvertip Brush
Proraso Pre-shave Cream (new formula, sensitive)
Scent From Heaven Lime Shaving Soap
Witch Hazel

Better result this morning, but some weepers and slight soreness in some areas as a reward for the effort.

For the last 2 shaves I've used a Invisible Edge paddle strop instead of my Neil Miller latigo/linen, and I think it's working better for me.

Ian

f9mk3n.jpg

Pre Veleiro soap + Palmolive stick in IKEA bowl + Semogue 1335 + Rotbart 15.5 with Laser #2 + Palmolive "Power of Nature" splash with Proraso balm

A good shave although Palmolive soap foam tends to dry and I didn't like much Laser blade.

Cheers!

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Derby (1)
EJ black badger
La Toja stick
Bluebeards Revenge PSB
Floris JF

First shave with the rather pretty Slim Adjustable. Not a bad shave but I think there's a fairly steep learning curve ahead of me. I need to get out of habits picked up from having always shaved with a Merkur 34c because the razor - whilst the technique is fundamentally the same - feels like a very different beast. All good fun! I could do with some of my Astras with me rather than the Derbys - a blade I don't really know nor particularly want to be further acquainted with.

Wednesday

Razor: Mergress
Blade: Lord Super (2)
Brush: Semogue LE 2011 size 1 bristle
Soap: Valobra menthol

I can't believe I put this brush for sale. All it needed was to be broken in. A brilliant shave and this is probably my favourite boar to date :)

First cold shave:
Cold shower
Tubby 1 soaking in cold water
Proraso white new for formula
Face lathered
Weber DLC - Astra SP (3)
Proraso white pre/post

Was definately refreshing, not quite as close as usual under my jawline but nice and comfortable.

merkur HD
supermax blue diamond
shavemac #25 silvertip
TOBS st james cream
old spice whitewater AS

pretty decent, irritation free shave. these blue diamond blades are fairly decent, 2nd shave with it and i dont think ill push it for a 3rd, but two irritation free shaves works for me.

Shower
Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Feather AS-D1
Dorco 301(3 and we're done)
New Forest Tubby 1 finest silver tip in Tigris Perla
The Body Shop Maca Root Cream
Nivea Cooling Aftershave Balm

The feather is such a forgiving razor - spruce & comfortable shave whilst listening to 'I'm sorry I Haven't a clue' on Iplayer.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (22)
Razor: Joseph Allen 6/8" Extra hollow ground
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Soap: Queen Charlotte Vostok
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger

Second try with Monday's razor. Nope. As I wipe off the lather, there's just no hair in it. It's not even sharp enough to tug. The Feather finished up nicely, and the soap is positively arctic.

I guess this one gets set aside until I either buy a finishing stone or send a bunch off for honing. I'm not blaming the vendor: it's quite possible that I rolled the edge on the strop, or something, and of the there sold to me as "I think they're usable" one was good and one decent. It's a nice-looking razor and I'm sure will be a good razor in the end.

cracking shave today - i really took my time, slowed down the process and enjoyed it a lot more.

broke out my new merkur 43c, lathered using nanny's bergamot and coriander and finished off a pack of derby's i've been working through. finished with witch hazel and aloe vera gel to sooth.

im enjoying shaving so much more now i've committed to wetshaving - im kindof disappointed i have to wait a few days for my next shave!

Yellow Jim said:
MdC - M&F - Feather AC SS - Aqua Velva​

d4cd2527.jpg

First time out for the Feather, loaded with a ProGuard blade. I've tried a couple of straight shaves before and have generally ended up with nicks, rawness and a not very close shave, so I was a bit apprehensive. However, it was relatively successful. Two WTG passes left me with a pretty decent shave. A few tiny blood spots and some bits missed around the chin, jawline and neck but the rest of the shave was not far from what I achieve with a DE. I'm pleased.

The feathers are fantastic razors. If I were to start again there would be a better way to learn. Think the proguard is the best of their blades. 2passes: 1 with; 1 against, and it's very close to BBS.

Thursday

EJ DE89L
Wilkinson Sword SS (3)
Grosvenor 404 Bodger
Tabac Soap

Nivea ASB
Tabac AS

Three pass, face lather.

Good enough.

Tabac soap is a toughie for me to get a lather with this (or any purely boar) brush. It tends to dry quickly on the skin too. Shame because the eventual shave is fine and I think the Tabac smell is terrific. It'll go back in the drawer for another couple of months now; I always think it's an Autumnal soap.

:-/

Wizamet w11 on 9 with Permasharp Supreme (vintage)
Valobra shaving soap courtesy of oldbladegrinder
Alum block

Getting to know my wizamet a little better. The blade doesn't protrude from the head, it is set back such that I need a high setting and a higher angle to get a good shave. It seems to cause less irritation than others I've used; no a/s balm required.

Back
Top Bottom