SOTD 3rd December to 9th December 2011

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields two band badger (rebranded Simpsons)
1970s L type injector/Personna Twinjector blade (NOS)
Rivivage SS (Gold Dachs)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Jacomo de Jacomo EdT (oakmoss&patchouli)

Revisited what used to be my go to injector blade from years ago.....can't remember the last time I loaded one of these. Not quite as sharp as some of the other vintage blades, but still a nice shave. Matter of fact, this set up left my face even smoother than usual, which is interesting. Man, they just don't make injector blades like they used to back in the day.

BBS results,

Martin

Schick adjustable injector with Gillette Platinum Plus blade
St. James Founder's Reserve Cedarwood and Clarysage cream – love this stuff!

It's the third or fourth time I've used this blade. It's not cutting so close but still doing a fair job. I reckon tomorrow will finish it off, then I'll be able to send it and the rest of Dodgy's package on to Slick.

Boker Edelweiss 5/8 in bone scales
Simpson Beaufort B4
The Body Shop Maca Root
Gillette Fusion aftershave gel
Pinaud-Clubman Musk aftershave
A dropped-once-too-many-times TOBS alum block
My La Veinette Coticule

Today was my first good shave with something that I honed myself. It's still not buttery Coticule-smooth, but it's extremely rewarding.

6434502431_c4eda6438c_z.jpg

Hot Shower
Merkur 38B
Astra Blue (3)
Semogue 610/Kent BK4
Cella
Floid Blue
4711 Eau de Cologne

Not bad in the end. I struggled to get a decent lather using the Semogue, so got out the BK4 and it was better.

I'm still unsure on Cella though. I find it's not one I'll reach for (I think I generally prefer the English creams TOBS, GFT, T&H, DRH) and while I tend to like the smell of marzipan, I do feel it's a little overpowering during the shave and I tend to prefer the more subtle scents of the aforementioned creams. Sometimes I feel like I'm forcing myself to like it because people tend to speak highly of it here, but with so many Creams in the rotation I prefer, I might just concede this one isn't for me and seek out a sale, trade or even a PIF.

This morning:

Imperial Leather soap
Feather Artist Club RG (wood), ProGuard blade (9)
Taylor's Lavender cream
New Forest High Mountain Badger
Trumper's Limes skin food and GFT cologne

Not bad at all, and enjoyable, but not as incredibly close as yesterday's.

EJDE89
Red Personna
Palmolive stick
Ogallala BR L and P
Floris Sirena

Was away overnight so this was a hotel shave, didnt fancy my brush being wet in my bag until I got home so did not take it. So not much lather but perfectly acceptable shave. Need to get a travel set methinks.....

Slowrain: nice first shave of the day here, sir. Officially my shopping list is down to just two more razors, but maybe I should put a Böker on there too. That slab of rock is quite handsome, too.

Mikael: that'll be the Christmas razor then? Somewhere we've got some wrapping paper just like those scales. Nice, but then again something more in my line arrived today: many thanks my friend. :)

Arrowhead said:
Mikael: that'll be the Christmas razor then? Somewhere we've got some wrapping paper just like those scales. Nice, but then again something more in my line arrived today: many thanks my friend. :)

Cheers and thank you! :D Well, I dunno what to think about those scales, to be honest. Apparently some kind of high end material, synthetic and antiseptic... I really only wanted a wider Otto Busch in good nick and this was what came out of that wish :D

Wednesday Evening

Semogue 2011 LE Boar 2
Gotta #120
Vintage Old Spice Shaving Mug Soap
Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood Aftershave
Bulldog Aftershave Balm

Three days stubble blitzed by the gotta.A fantastic shave.

Mark

Arrowhead said:
Slowrain: nice first shave of the day here, sir. Officially my shopping list is down to just two more razors, but maybe I should put a Böker on there too. That slab of rock is quite handsome, too.
The Bokers are okay. I like my Tree Brand better than my Edelweiss. I emailed Boker, and they said the steel in the two are the same. However, I bought my Edelweiss last year and my Tree Brand this year, and I think they must have been from different production runs. So, while they may use the same steel when they're made, I think they may have made some changes from last year to this year. Regardless of that, the Tree Brand is lighter and easier to whip around.

I got the Coticule from Jarrod at the Superior Shave.

Early Thursday Morning

Razor:
Kukri 4/8
Brush: Simpson 57
Cream: GFT Limes
2wdoaa8.jpg

Probably my oldest German razor, it holds a lovely edge and gives an awesome shave.

Back
Top Bottom