SOTD 22nd to 28th October 2011

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger (rebranded Simpsons two band)
FH Tech-Stahly frankenrazor/Feather
Rivivage SS
SebaMed AS Balsam
Tom Ford 'Azure Lime' EdP

BBS results,

Martin

N_Architect said:
Filarmonica DT13 11/16 (Neil Miller restore)
Tony Miller Notovan Artisan strops (30/60)
Simpsons Polo 10 custom two band
Speick stick
Vifrex after shave gel with La Toja Manantiales after shave lotion
Tom Ford White Patchouli Eau de Parfum

IMG_1676.jpg

Very atmospheric!

pugh-the-special-one said:
Botanics face scrub
Feather AS-D1
Feather blade
Simpsons chubby 2
Founders reserve Cedarwood & Clarysage
Alum + Propolis
Founders reserve Mandarin & Patchouli balm
Founders reserve Cedarwood & Clarysage Eau de colgne

Jamie.

Recycled photo, but the same hardware + fragrance and prep, two pass shave super smooth, I have a light cold so the Clarysage certainly open up the airways.

The photographs in this section really are frickin' excellent!!! Thanks for posting, chaps - they're an inspiration!

Re: RE: SOTD 22nd to 28th October 2011

This morning after a leisurely breakfast:

Feather Artist Club RG folding straight
Feather Pro-Guard blade (2)
New Forest High Mountain Badger
Taylor's Violets cream, face lathered
Nivea ASB

Face is a great result, neck less so. Stupidly persisted trying to get closer and ended up with a few little spots of blood after the many many pass attempts, all coped with by cold water, no styptic required.

I can't get as close as I'd like on the neck without going sideways, and I can't figure out how to get this device, so much larger than the head of a DE, in position for a sideways pass. I guess the answer is to accept a merely close shave on the neck, at least for now, and enjoy the BBS satisfaction on the face.

Still no wounds. Suspect the ProGuard blades are protecting me rather.

Dr Rick said:
This morning after a leisurely breakfast:

Feather Artist Club RG folding straight
Feather Pro-Guard blade (2)
New Forest High Mountain Badger
Taylor's Violets cream, face lathered
Nivea ASB

Face is a great result, neck less so. Stupidly persisted trying to get closer and ended up with a few little spots of blood after the many many pass attempts, all coped with by cold water, no styptic required.

I can't get as close as I'd like on the neck without going sideways, and I can't figure out how to get this device, so much larger than the head of a DE, in position for a sideways pass. I guess the answer is to accept a merely close shave on the neck, at least for now, and enjoy the BBS satisfaction on the face.

Still no wounds. Suspect the ProGuard blades are protecting me rather.

You wont get a true sideways pass on your neck as you say not possible with that size blade, but you can get a acceptable angle with a little tightening of the skin, it's about small but accurate strokes. you will get a super smooth finish it's just practice.

Regards Jamie

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Polo 14
Razor: Dorko
Super lather: Cade + Irish Moos
AS: Dr Harris, Sandalwood
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

This brush's insane, I love it (takes approx X2 product compared to a Chubby 2)!
018800x580.jpg

Oh my gourd!

Re: RE: SOTD 22nd to 28th October 2011

pugh-the-special-one said:
You wont get a true sideways pass on your neck as you say not possible with that size blade, but you can get a acceptable angle with a little tightening of the skin, it's about small but accurate strokes. you will get a super smooth finish it's just practice.

Thanks Jamie, I shall stick at it encouraged :). Going to try to make myself stick to two neck passes for a while, but based on experience I'm likely not to manage. King of self-restraint I am not, and my pain threshold is unhelpfully high ;).

As time goes on, I'm gradually finding subtleties in DE shaving. One example is with bowl lathering and how much to lather in the bowl before transfering to face. I have found that if I use the minimum of bowl lathering but more on the face (as opposed to mainly lathering in the bowl then minimum face lathering), it is down to being able to shift the balance between the two until I get the right texture.

I have also found that what I thought was WTG was in fact XTG when shaving the neck area. So I have changed my neck shaving technique so that I shave a strip from the chin vertically down to just below the Adams' Apple, then sideways from this strip to the areas below the ears.

This for me is actually shaving WTG. On the second pass I shave sideways but just across the width of the previous strip: chin to below Adam's Apple, then downwards on the rest of the neck which for me is XTG, and overall has given me a better shave for the neck area. I never shave ATG, which I have discovered is from below the ears across to the middle of the neck.

Obviously this varies from person to person, in that for some shavers ATG may be upwards, for others downwards, for others sideways towards to neck middle.

Preshave scrub- Real Shaving Co. ‘Professional' formula
Razor – EJ Chatsworth Barley
Blade – 365
Cream – St James Of London “Founder's Reserve”
Brush – Omega Syntex 90065
Balm – One Planet – still going after all these months.

Monday, first time in awhile I took a pass on shaving. Had a few rough spots from yesterday's shave and thought i'd give it a rest. Deep sixed that blade in the wall!

Fatboy on 6
Permasharp blade (3rd shave)
Erasmic cream

Nice smooth, close shave. The Fatboy seems to do smooth in a way that my other razors can't. Finished off with TOBS shaving shop aftershave gel

Back
Top Bottom