SOTD 15th to 21st October 2011

Sunday mornin' comin' down...
Great morning! I tried my, new to me, Merkur Futur for the 1st time! Every nice experience!
Preshave: Noxzema with a little grapeseed and almond oil added.
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Astra Platinum
Soap: Calaini Havanna
After Shave: Masters Bay Rum

Very nice, smooth shave.

MWF Hand Soap,
Sir Irisch Moos SS,
Simpson Special in Best,
Merkur Classic / Gillette 7 O'Clock (1),
L'Occitane Alum Stone,
GFT Lime SF,
Lanvin L'Homme Sport EdT.

SOTDOct16th2011.jpg

A nice Sunday shave.

Sunday

Up at 6am to watch the Korean GP, and then:

Gillette Tech (Ball-end, gold plated, no date)
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Provence Santé Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Then out for a walk, lunch at a cafe and then to visit my brother.

Ian

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
FH Tech-Stahly frankenrazor/Iridium
Penhaligons Opus 1870 SC (thanks for the sample, Robert)
Lotion Opaline AS (LOTS of citrus)
Annick Goutal 'Eau d' Hadrien' EdP

Wanted a no drama shave this morning, having gingerly used the Leresche yesterday. Yeah, that thing requires lots of attention to detail.

Penhaligons probably makes the best shaving creams I've ever used. You have a problem with lather? Get some of this stuff and see what happens. It's definitely different from the various Creightons products....you can tell just by looking at the lather. Just the right amount of cushion and slick, with some fragrances that are very popular with many people.

I love this razor/ blade combo. Extremely forgiving but still effective. Amazingly comfortable, with no feeling of the blade on my face at all. Even fun with a Feather blade if I choose one. Perfect set up for what I wanted today.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Tech and Stahly combo 001 (Small).jpg
    Tech and Stahly combo 001 (Small).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 10
Sunday Eve.

Gillette Tech with 7 o'clock (yellow)
vintage Crabtree & Evelyn pour homme soap
NF 2221 mountain badger
Alum
the Real Shaving co after shave balm.

Tech is a recent acquisition from Sunburyboy - and its a cracking little razor.

Sunday 10-16-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Morris & Forndran 28X56 - Gillette Slim Adjustable - Israeli Personna #1 - Pre Myrsol Emulsión - Dr. Harris Marlborough shavins soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB La Chinata - ASL Raw Vanilla.

Afeitado16-10-11002.jpg

SUNDAY EVENING SHAVE

Gillette Flairtip Superspeed
Gillette Super Stainless (2)
'Surfs Up' local artisan soap, followed very rapidly with Arko stick
Neep Elite
Witch Hazel
Trumper lime skin food

Well, that was an experience.

The soap I bought this afternoon is the worst I've ever used by a huge amount.

I even attacked it with Rod's brush which could lather a stone! Spread it on my face, lathered, and after one cheek it had vanished from everywhere else!

Utterly useless. Luckily I'd had the foresight to have some Arko ready. It's a good job I wasn't using an aggressive razor or I'd have torn my face to pieces.

My first use of the Flairtip as well. Very nice, fuss free shave. Lovely.

Sunday

White proraso pre/post
Neo custom 2 band
Nannys Yushu soap
EJ bull mastiff + Shark ss (1)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3passes , very nice shave.
Just unfortunately ruined by the fact it seems when I now turn the shower on, one of the bathroom walls appears to get very wet, like there is a burst pipe in the wall. Funny thing is, I know there are no pipes there....I wont be able to rest till I have solved this mystery ( or paid a plumber a ridicuous amount of money to sort it). Bloody old houses.

Sunday:

Red tip Superspeed
Tiger
Simpson Colonel X2L
La Toja stick
Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood edt

Started the day with a sunny autumnal morning mountain bike ride, then back home for a shower and shave. A welcome return from my old friend the Red tip, who dispatched the stubble with an effortless two passes. Splendid :icon_biggrin:

Tall_Paul said:
'Surfs Up' local artisan soap, followed very rapidly with Arko stick

The soap I bought this afternoon is the worst I've ever used by a huge amount.

I even attacked it with Rod's brush which could lather a stone! Spread it on my face, lathered, and after one cheek it had vanished from everywhere else!

The "old fashioned" soaps are old fashioned because they've been around for a long time, and they've been around for a long time because they work properly!

Ian

JaseB said:
Sunday

White proraso pre/post
Neo custom 2 band
Nannys Yushu soap
EJ bull mastiff + Shark ss (1)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3passes , very nice shave.
Just unfortunately ruined by the fact it seems when I now turn the shower on, one of the bathroom walls appears to get very wet, like there is a burst pipe in the wall. Funny thing is, I know there are no pipes there....I wont be able to rest till I have solved this mystery ( or paid a plumber a ridicuous amount of money to sort it). Bloody old houses.

could be a pinhole leak somewhere in the shower - try turning it on and watch for a minute or two to see where the water is coming from (better with it set to cold so the room doesn't steam up and make it harder to trace the leak)

Sunday

Sprock - Simpson 57 - Arlington Cream - Alum - Boots Freshwood balm/Azzaro PH mix
2n9i5qb.jpg

Damn fine shave, I have some Azzaro Pour Homme pre-electric from "the dark days" but it worked a treat mixed with the Boots Freshwood balm which I generally find to be too thick and lacking fragrance.​

Razor - Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley
Blade - Dorco 301/Superdrug
Brush - Omega Syntex 90065
Cream - Erasmic "old Jordan"

I'm trying out ways to keep the lather warm. My 'bowl' is a lidded ramekin pot with the lid upside down on the pot. These are warmed in the wash basin while I shower. The upside lid can be used like a shaving bowl, and is kept warm by the water in the main pot.

I'm also bringing a smaller ramekin pot back into use and using that inside the larger one which is filled with warm water, to see if this works better than the upside down lid method. It makes for a better lather because it does not spread out anywhere near as much.

I'm also rinsing between shaving passes, and that means the lather is slightly thinner in texture when I relather for the next pass, but is still very good. A little goes a long way using the smaller ramekin pot inside the larger one, and provides a bit more aeration.

I'm also looking at my technique and passes. Generally very smooth after a gentle third pass XTG but on cheeks only, not neck where I only do two passes.

Back
Top Bottom