Single edge razor of the day.

sotd_042.jpg

I was looking at this photo on the SOTD and thinking 'that is one beautiful picture'

And it is
Well, thank you ... hopefully more to come. Thank you.

I nicked @Electrif 's use of a shemagh as the backdrop, but when I got to looking at the picture I cropped it right in. You can see the shemagh in the reflection, so it's an Ode to Electrif.

Last edited:
Monday 9th August

AM-JKLX3cCLiCPxGK5rZYz41VhtT2hq0k5iTtpOr-V_N5YGaCfTotQXE6ZgI4q0wcCVCS64cdOHyN8PyGS3vndDHVT4ZYL0xWvDJ_3_WlUzyZMxWolwahBfeDEImAGbiUJpvYsIHeEczpw-hB4Vq_DOpI8U2Hg=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Eco Warrior Shaving Bar
Semogue SOC Taj w/24mm Boar
Ever Ready 1907 Lather Catcher
GEM by Personna Stainless PTFE (1)
LEA Classic Aftershave

Absolutely smashing shave, that ...

The 1907 gave me an astonishingly smooth and forgiving shave, likely due to the angle of the blade which the keen-eyed amongst us will have spotted was adjusted here with the addition of a second spine underneath the the blade. Even with a fresh GEM, which we well know can be a tad fierce on the first shave, felt more akin to (borrowing a comparison from DE) a Personna Platinum Chrome than a Comfort Coated Stainless.

While I think the geometry of the Ever Ready makes it a lot more intuitive compared to the GEM Junior Bar, it is a cheaper razor with none of the class of the GEM. It's simply a curved scroll of metal that holds a blade at the right angle with the most minimal amount of mechanics.

Purity personified.

Tuesday 10th August

AM-JKLV6kLQtx2znap1EZ9TS3s-6O0A8FZYzvUX9fJbLBhmX2k1F21Nd7Fvtuh5FxxNgPICrdNVqM50szkzaqkGNzFrvCb-WZhXITvlWdsYi452ifv3UNGp8bsHs-vfIaN6uLqOK_VTDm7zExSED_Im-5V5oxw=s800

Eco Warrior Shaving Bar
Semogue SOC Taj w/24mm Boar
Ever Ready 1914 Mahoganite
GEM by Personna Stainless PTFE (2)
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

You might recall @Electrif using his Mahoganite Set 1914 the other day and it put the idea in my mind to use mine. Lovely shave, that. The Mahoganite is quite a late set for the 1914, released possibly 1924 or certainly 1925 by the little sales pamphlets you find in various vintage razors you buy. There were a few sets released together, like the Speedster Set (or Wood Cabinet Set as we got in the UK), Sedan Set and so on ... mix of 1914s and 1924s in that range.

Folks interested in the various incarnations of the 1914 can review my notes at: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...-1924-identification.25875/page-3#post-837536

Wednesday 11th August

AM-JKLUxVw-WBQigm8oYvQNAQ0bmNMzksVMyZpTaL3lJTflzCBIWjveoQA-vffc7rrS5p5QS2NA65A1IB2XWm2s2ae80OrB7u8XFAJTahzWZWZKav__Gmfevl7gdZ6SpypWKaYui_y9WiJ7Q2h7U3U4Myph3tw=w1200

Eco Warrior Shaving Bar
Kent Infinity+ Silvertex
Ever Ready 1912 Peerless
GEM by Personna Stainless PTFE (3)
Novaya Zarya Russian Forest

Super shave with this late model 1912 ...

What's worthy of note about these late models is that by this era the blades themselves were the same thickness and the blades that we use today and so the geometry is spot-on. Earlier models (say, from the '40s) were designed around blades with thicker spines, like the hallowed Corrux or Cru-Steel blades and so when using a modern GEM blade, that shave can be improved by slipping another spine underneath the blade's spine.

Anyway ...

Later sets like the Peerless or the Bathroom Set were produced in the '50s and can often be identified by their round handles, as opposed to the usual hex handle found on ASR razors. I have seen Peerless razors with the lightweight aluminium hex handle, particularly under the GEM brand which were Made in Britain and exported to Australia, principally; possibly, Canada.

AM-JKLVtYzhyjkx8mp2Zc4DQELS3tSpMGt0d01hEmobEic3hPm3sFKNr7ajsPQTdJNDfS5y3rElreRI4chAwiBwgapvIGdN9uv3B8DIDo83I5Mie5Gr-VzogkpcQeg-Tn0gnjGdb2hgNx6dh2fmEH_2GD9jOFg=w900

Back
Top Bottom