Ever Ready 1914 and Ever Ready 1924 Identification

You guys are seeing it, yes?

I’m afraid I have had it for a while now but did not look close enough to see it was made in Toronto. This very post got me to dig out my 1914s and have a look. Now that I have ‘found’ it :love: I realize I never knew about Cdn made Ever Readys. I figured it would fit into this thread. Thanks for inspiring me to “be seeing it”.

Last edited:
What we don't know a whole heap about is the razor that we've come to call the 1909, which is for all intents and purposes a proto-1924. Also sold under the Yankee brand, which is a little unusual for a British branding ... unless that design was simply released in the US under that brand.

ABLVV86YIunXxbDi94rtK_gxyQm43UoyXgOHX52LZrk_avUF_zWFU49xQdneRovyA64pt60dLKcCLCuciBQa5ABFxFOQfeTvPKbdsZSClvs1ZpxJyLXAwBj9j5lOFSPXNEdg9iyisbgBHDdguTT8741fmnGcqw=w800

I suppose I'm coming to the proposal that some esoteric strand of Ever-Ready might well have existed alongside the more documented mainstream and that there may well have been some connection between the British wing and the Canadian wing. This 1914 is an early one.

In 1903 Jerry Reichard leaves Gem Safety Razor Company to form yet another razor and blade producer, along with August Scheuber the company was briefly named 'Reichard & Scheuber Manufacturing Company'[6] before it became 'The Yankee Company'. The Yankee Company made wedge-blade razors under the name Yankee, Mohican & Winner. The Yankee Company, is renamed Ever-Ready in 1905.

With the warranted resurrection of this thread, it might be worth reminding ourselves of @pjgh 's spotters guide to the 1924, too: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/ever-ready-1924-aka-shovel-head.33909/
(Somewhere I have a 'similar' Gem(?) oddity to Pogonaut's (but 1912) which I should dig out - boxed and unused, picked up at an antiques stall for a tenner or so just a few years ago. I'll try to capture a pic or two with my 1914 and 1924 - the former is cased and seems to have had little use).

Back
Top Bottom