Ever Ready 1914 and Ever Ready 1924 Identification

Greetings

The two most easily confused and most commonly wrongly identified SE razors on e-bay and other sale sites are the Ever Ready 1914, commonly known as the Little Lather Catcher and the Ever Ready 1924 often called The Shovelhead.

The ID problems generally occur because of how the razors have been photographed in respect of what view.

All 1914 Little lather Catchers have the words 'Lift Here' stamped on the top cover on either side where you need to put your finger and thumb to lift up the top cover.

1924 Shovelheads unlike other SE's (except one unusual and very rare model) open backwards to load the blade ie the top cover is hinged at the front of the razor frame (head) and opens away frrom the front.

When viewed from the back the 1924 Shovelhead has no lather catching shroud.

Like many SE razors ER's GEM's and Valets; different models used the same handle and there seemed to have been a practice in some of the factories of using up old handles on the next model and of exchanging parts between UK and USA and in some razors Canadian factories as they were all USA owned. The best advice regarding SE razor ID is to ignore the handle.

The differences are best illustrated by these photo's. In all photo's the 1914 Little Lather Catcher is on the left.

DSC04769.JPG

DSC04770.JPG

DSC04772.JPG

DSC04774.JPG

There are two very slightly different models of each of these razors but the differences are minor and do not affect the ID of the razors.

Regards
Dick. (PS Perhaps Big Ron would like to show us his rare and unusual Ever Ready):icon_razz:

Good post Dick. The Shovelhead is one that I don't have but like the idea of thge different loading mechanism. Your photos show how the underneath evolved and you can see the similarity to the Streamline which came later.

Very helpful, thanks for taking the time to post this.

So I have a 1914 not a shovelhead (as I had previously thought).

Mine came in a rather nice silver cigarette case, lined with purple velvet and stamped 'Compliments of the American Steel Grave Vault Company, Galion, Ohio'. I think that's a better memento mori than the tacky laser-etched skull that you find on Ikon Razors. :icon_razz:

If anyone can shed any further light on the historical background to this razor then I would be most obliged.

Also, I have never shaved with it. :blush: How do they shave compared to a LC, Streamline etc...?

YorkNeil said:
Thanks for that Dick. The Shovelhead, for me, is the best razor I have ever used. Ron, what's the story on the "1909's"?

Err..I can't really shed much light on it. As PJGH will attest to, the history of Gem, Ever Ready and their subsidiaries is quite complicated..

It has been referred to as the "1909" because that is the year of the patent although both razors have "The New Ever Ready" and "British Made" stamped on the base plate.
The design of the two razors is slightly different in the way that the hinged top cap is secured.
The "newer" version (on the right in the photo's) can be used and shaves much like a 1924 but the handle is hollow so it has a different feel.
The other razor doesn't secure the blade well enough to be used unfortunately..

Here's an advert that shows the razor. The ad itself has no date.

lBvnmCm.jpg

Amazing how much information is out there about these old razors. I love this place, it's such a great resource of information.

Thanks for taking the time chaps and keep it coming!

Back
Top Bottom