Ever Ready 1914 and Ever Ready 1924 Identification

No thoughts on the Canadian connection. I haven't looked much at Canadian patent applications because they are all bad-quality copies of typewriter documents. If I can't OCR it I stay away. Maybe there are some hints if one looks at Canadian patents of the time. I'm busy.

As far as Julius Bueno de Mesquita is concerned: A fascinating character. The easiest inventor to find documents for. He was so filthy rich and travelled back and forth between the US and the UK on luxury ocean liners all the time, leaving a paper trail a nautical mile wide. (He never flew to the UK as far as I can tell. Maybe because his stepson died in a plane crash?).
I'm not even sure he actually invented the "1924". He was a businessman and manager. Then he shows up in 1909 in the UK with a patent?
My best bet is that he was sent to the UK to open a factory and was given a patent to take with him. Maybe I'm doing him an injustice, but I can't see him tinkering for months to perfect an invention if he could do some proper managing and bookkeeping instead.
I love his story though. When he was a kid he grew up in the piss-poor area where Jack the Ripper was active at the time.
Then he went to the US and became one of the richest people in the country.
Maybe only topped by the story of the Kampfe brothers who from an equally poor background became the largest landowners in New York.

Wrong on both accounts. riverrun is always spelt without a capital R and although I live in the UK, I'm not a 'British fella'.
Thank you very much for the compliments though. Appreciated. :)

You‘re welcome on the compliments. And I apologize for the R and the British fella comment. The latter was indeed an assumption without much thought or consideration, and spelling noted riverrun, UK resident.

Great information. I think he needs to be more celebrated in the razor world. De Mesquita - The Dean of Pogonomics! He was there from 1890s-1953. That is the whole basket and hoe era pretty much. Two World Wars, the Boer, numerous others, the depression, the plague, film advertising, radio, the advent of television, development of the automobile industry, wow! “Had a tough day at work dear?” And not to forget, some of those folks were buying his razors.

That patent design was instrumental through almost his whole career and the work he did on that design need not be an issue since his name was on the patent. It would be a fun puzzle to solve though?

The idea of considering the patent info was good. And it isn’t all xeroxing and card files over here in Canada!

So within a week of receiving his March 1914 US patent Joseph Kaufman files a Canadian Patent application on item titled ‘Razor’ and on June 09th, within only eight weeks (Cdn service! :)), he obtains Cdn Patent CA156153 for said razor. I don’t have the document contents, but as the Toronto made 1914 razor has that patent date on it, I can assume the details.

Canadian Made Ever Ready Razor Patent 09June 1914.

Back
Top Bottom