Shave of the day, week commencing Saturday 03/09/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
dodgy said:
kt66 said:
Ball end Old Type
Feather

My first time using a Feather. It seemed to drag a bit a first, but soon settled down. This Old type is a pleasure to use; I usually only make two passes but went for a third and ended up with probably the closest shave I've had. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but I'm not yet convinced Feathers are worth the extra money over say, Astra SPs. :s

Hi there,

Man, I am impressed.....that's a combo with about zero room for error. I can imagine how close the results were, which is where that razor shines. Heh, that set up is so far removed from anything I'd ever use, but I understand and appreciate the technique that's needed.

Give the Feather a few more shaves, although I'm surprised you didn't notice much of a performance difference with those.

Martin

Oh Yes Indeed!
My eyes watered at the thought of an Old Type and a Feather blade.
That's what you call "Extreme Shaving" !

All I can say is that da man has some awesome angle control. :)

Rod

Thursday
Hot Shower, Bassler 5/8 Stainless Steel, Simpson 57, Derby Menthol Cream, Alum, Gillette Series ASB
bv9l.jpg

This stainless steel razor has been more of a challenge than most, to get as sharp as I like, but 70 laps on my new hone and its lovely.
A superb close, irritation free shave and another highly informative session with my unidentified olive green hone.
Have a fantastic Friday, gentlemen.​

Friday:
  • Edwin Jagger DE86
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock (yellow)
  • Semogue 830
  • Geo. F Trumper Rose soap
  • D R Harris Pink
  • Chanel 31 Rue Cambon

Friday -

Gillette #58
Shark SS (4)
Ever Ready 150 with NF 2 band knot
TandH limes

Not the best shave I've been left quite raw, down to 2 reason I beleave, I may of pushed the shark a day to far even though I didnt tug or skip and the TandH limes is a new cream not used before and it did a little burning when applied to the face, more so on the second pass.

Friday

1st shave in the new house:

White proraso pre/post
Neo custom 2 band
Nannys Yushu Soap
FT rocket + GST (1)
Thayers superhazel
Natural Limes Balm

result: 3 passes, smooth but some irritation on neck.

an ok shave.

Botanics face scrub
Kamisori Kropp custom
'Le Tuft' Chubby 1.5 custom
Mitchells Woolfat
Alum + witch Hazel
TOBS Sandalwood balm
TOBS Sandalwood eau de cologne.

Jamie

a excellent shave, I gave up 70% of the shave to the Kropp and it shave very nicely since I gave it it's new look, then I pulled out the Feather and gave it the cleaning up task, super smooth, i'm writing this with one eye on the Rugby world cup first try goes to New Zealand scored by Isreal Dagg.

002-1.jpg

Neep said:
dodgy said:
kt66 said:
Ball end Old Type
Feather

My first time using a Feather. It seemed to drag a bit a first, but soon settled down. This Old type is a pleasure to use; I usually only make two passes but went for a third and ended up with probably the closest shave I've had. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but I'm not yet convinced Feathers are worth the extra money over say, Astra SPs. :s

Hi there,

Man, I am impressed.....that's a combo with about zero room for error. I can imagine how close the results were, which is where that razor shines. Heh, that set up is so far removed from anything I'd ever use, but I understand and appreciate the technique that's needed.

Give the Feather a few more shaves, although I'm surprised you didn't notice much of a performance difference with those.

Martin

Oh Yes Indeed!
My eyes watered at the thought of an Old Type and a Feather blade.
That's what you call "Extreme Shaving" !

All I can say is that da man has some awesome angle control. :)

Rod

Thanks chaps, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly daring, or gifted with technique - I'm more worried about trying the Ever Ready SE! I see Marcel used a Big Fellow with a Feather, so I'm not the only one. ;)

That was only my first impression of the Feather, I'll use up a few more before I decide whether to stock up.

I keep reading about Old types being aggressive and it's true that it shaves close, but it's easy to find the angle and I'd say it's more forgiving than the Fatboy on a high setting - you're much more aware of the edge with all that blade exposure on the Fatboy (or even a Rocket). Maybe my taste will change in time, but for now, I prefer two passes with an efficient razor over three plus touch ups with a mild one.

PavlovsDog said:
Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Shark SS (New blade today)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat - first use for me!
A/S: Floid Blue

Ditto for Thursday and Friday, with the 2nd and 3rd use of the Shark blade. Still performing well so will hopefully get a 4th shave from it tomorrow at the very least.

First two uses of MWF, I used it like a shave stick and rubbed the moistened puck on my damp face and then whipped up a lovely face lather more than enough for 3 passes.

Today, I tried swirling the brush over the puck and working a lather that way - seemed just as effective. Loving 'The Fat' so far, but still at the stage where I want to keep trying other soaps and creams - even so I think MWF will certainly be a 'go to' soap in my rotation in the long term.

Friday

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, in soapstone and xtra stuffed silvertip :D
Razor: TI, special 2011 edition (like the blade, but TI = really, really lousy customer service :mad:)
Soap: Nannys Yushu
AS: Ogallalla Limes and Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very clean indeed

Nicre shave! I'm off for a daytrip to Eskilstuna today :D (roughly 110 km from where I live) and then some sailing with one of my oldest friends :D :D
005800x755.jpg

.. and some:
031800x748.jpg

I can't think of anything more utterly bonkers than rubbing a cake of shaving soap around my chops.

What on earth's wrong with "Mr Brush, meet Mr Soap, Mr Soap, Mr Brush" . . . ?

Strange what tips people pick up on the internet. Must've come from somewhere but I can't really see it taking off.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Wilkinsons Sword (NOS UK)
vintage Yardley lavender SS
Sebamed after shave balsam
Aramis 'Havana' EdT (vintage version)

It's not often the Yardley calls to me, but that was the case this morning. Nice slick lather that helps the razor do it's facial waltz without effort. The scent's pretty much gone, but no big deal since I'm looking more for performance with this old soap.

BBS results,

Martin

EJDE89
Personna
Vulfix Mix
GFT Violet and Coconut oil mix
L'Oreal Balm
GFT Spanish Leather Cologne

3 passes plus a touch up. Very nice.

Have walked the dog, showered, shaved, breakfasted. Now time for a leisurely pint (or two).

Friday 09-09-11.

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Morris & Forndran 25X53 Blonde Badger two bands - Gillette Rocket Red Tip - Israeli Personna #1 - Pre Edwin Jagger - Queen Charlotte Soaps Vostok shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Proraso Pre/Post - ASL Lilac Vegetal.

Afeitado09-09-11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom