Shave of the day, week commencing Saturday 03/09/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
razor|Merkur37G
blade|Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Brush|Omega 10098
soap|Jabonman balsámico (handmade in Spain by a member of foroafeitado.com)
Aftershave|Floïd Blue
EdT|Eau du Sud de Annick Goutal
Comments|Usually the experiments in order to make shaving soap are not very well finished, because the soap is a simple product with complicated ways to achieve results....well I don't know very much about this soap, but I've got a great lather, thick, cushioned enough, with glide, unfortunately the scent is very "medical" as a liniment. The spanish Floïd blue smells as a hairdressing product,....I had to get away from those smells and I've chosen the bitter fruits of Eau du Sud, holy grapefruit :D
picture|
P9090070.jpg

Friday 9th

Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple
Tony Miller ‘Notovan' artisan strop cotton/leather 40/60
Museo Picasso Barcelona bowl
Durance badger brush
Florena Sensitive (Aloe Vera) shave cream
Nivea after shave balsam
Old Spice after shave

SOTD_09Sept.jpg

Tons of lather from the Florena, I admit though that I missed the slickness of Nanny's soap. My new 'Picasso' Spanish bowl does a terrific job, the Durance brush reminded me of how good it simply is and the Nivea-Old Spice 'budget' combo gave me a nice finish.

Have a telephone interview scheduled with Oslo on Monday, it's a good position so we may have a surprise coming up. Keep fingers crossed and let's see... Should I get the job there'll be a significant number of TSR PIFs.

joe mcclaine said:
I can't think of anything more utterly bonkers than rubbing a cake of shaving soap around my chops.

What on earth's wrong with "Mr Brush, meet Mr Soap, Mr Soap, Mr Brush" . . . ?

Strange what tips people pick up on the internet. Must've come from somewhere but I can't really see it taking off.

... and speaking of brushes, seen any in the mail lately? :D

pugh-the-special-one said:
I'm liking the Barcelona bowl Konstantinos, iv'e visited the Picasso museum a few times, looks great.

Regards Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I'm next to that shop right now and actually tempted to go and buy the second one as well (the black and white version...) :icon_rolleyes:

Mostly the same as yesterday:

NF super badger
Tabac soap
Ball end Old Type
Feather
Barbershop Bay Rum

Bit pushed for time today, so only two passes. Still, pretty smooth. :)

joe mcclaine said:
I can't think of anything more utterly bonkers than rubbing a cake of shaving soap around my chops.

What on earth's wrong with "Mr Brush, meet Mr Soap, Mr Soap, Mr Brush" . . . ?

Strange what tips people pick up on the internet. Must've come from somewhere but I can't really see it taking off.

A tad harsh if I may say so. We are talking about shaving tips, not investment advice.

It's hardly life or death if I try something I see on the internet - if it works - great - (and in this case it worked well, so what's the issue?), if it doesn't work, so bleeding what? I'll just try something else - nothing lost really apart from a small amount of time.

I'd agree with you being sceptical about internet advice if I was looking to invest my life savings on some dodgy internet enterprise, but it's just a shave for Pete's sake - no harm in trying anything to see what works and what doesn't.

Re: RE: Shave of the day, week commencing Saturday 03/09/2011

joe mcclaine said:

You think shave sticks are only for the insane, then? Interesting.

This morning:

Bulldog face wash
T & H number 10, face lathered with
New Forest High Mountain Badger.
Feather Portable, with
Gillette 7OC green (7)
Trumper's Sandalwood skin food
Trumper's Sandalwood cologne.

Not bad, one jawline nick. Did not take the third pass down under the collar area, and felt better today for it.

Friday/Early Saturday
Allen & son "Saturday" - NF2213 - Boots Cool Cologne Cream - Alum - Aquatonic AS
2w3n6g9.jpg

This razor was obviously part of a 7 day set, it takes a little more effort to get as close a shave as with some of my others but none the less its a pleasure to use.​

Dr Rick said:
joe mcclaine said:

You think shave sticks are only for the insane, then? Interesting.

I did say 'cake' in my post, I can clearly see it - you've quoted me. But as you've mentioned shave sticks - I don't think they were originally meant to be rubbed on the face either.

Later shaving sticks included instructions stating you should rub them on your face . . . because the makers knew men would end up using more product and have to buy a new one quicker than before.

The old 'Wash, rinse and repeat' model.

I was just pointing out that soap is soap, regardless of shaping, and we often DO rub them on. I bow to your superior historical knowledge, I have none.

Boker King Cutter 5/8
Tony Miller 'Notovan' 30/60
Frank Shaving 'Lindisfarne' finest
T&H 1805
Proraso 'white' pre/post
La Toja Manantiales after shave locion
EdT sample that I don't remember its name as I'm away from home now...

IMG_1656.jpg

Fantastic result and lovely feeling.

Had the 'Oslo job' telephone interview this morning, they said they'll get back to us by tomorrow, I reckon chances are slim but never mind. The effort was made and if it's not this one, the right opportunity will indeed come soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom