Shave of the Day Week Commencing 24/09/11

It's half time in Valencia, so have a few minutes.

A pleasant shave this morning with Castle Forbes lavender lathered up with a Plisson High Mountain White. This one has a 20mm knot with a 51mm loft. The density is just perfect and ensures a really luxurious experience. Jagger Chatsworth and red personna - as usual. DR Harris milk balm finished things off nicely.

Players out, must rush.

Colgate Cup soap
SOC boar cherrywood shaving brush
Charlex 60 straight razor
Floid aftershave splash
444 aftershave balm

drb2mp.jpg

Today I have visited a modern barbershop : Elivelimen, in Donostia the city where I was born and raised.

At the barbershop and hairdressing they use hot towel and preshave oil, Martin de Candre shaving soap and a cold towel, a moisturizing fluid and a blend of essential oils as aftershave, great experience. BBS? not furthermore :D

P9280142.jpg

Wednesday

Kropp 6/8 - D R Harris Arlington Cream - NF2213 - Alum - Home made Herby Rum Aftershave
fyg9hf.jpg

My 1st experience with this cream (thanks to Sunbury's eagle eyes) and a nice clean result.
Its been lovely and hot here today (26.5C) managed 45 hilly miles on my bicycle, in the sunshine, and the shave just finished off what has been a very pleasant day. I shall sleep well tonight, well after a little nightcap that is.

Thursday

EJ DE87
Astra SP (2)
Vulfix 2189
T&H Soap

Nivea ASB
Old Spice (USA) Sensitive AS

Three pass, face lather.

A geat deal better than yesterday...to iterate, it's an excellent brush to soap combo. The brush is to go back into its travel tube after its seasonal run-out.

Very, very smooth. I'd quite forgotten how much I enjoy OS.

:icon_razz:

Rocket HD (new acquisition!)
Astra Superior Platinum
D R Harris Arlington cream (new acquisition!)
Witch Hazel
Paco Rabane XS aftershave lotion

The Rocket was more aggressive than I was expecting. The Astra didn't work that well in it though; felt very aggressive. I also tried a few passes with a Bleue Extra (NOS) which was excellent; a Trig (felt almost blunt) and a Rapira Super Stainless. The Bleue fitted it perfectly. The shave today wasn't as close as I'd like, but no doubt I'll have fun finding more blades that work well with it.
The Arlington cream smells great – it's got that difficult to explain old school smell about it that I love (along the lines of Erasmic soap/Trumpers lime soap). My tub had about a quarter of the cream stuck to the flat plastic insert that they put between lid and bowl and a big dollop fell in the warm water before I noticed. I should wake up before shaving!

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Razor: Friodur in (old) Max scales
Soap and AS: Prof Blighty´s Grapewood
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

003800x640-1.jpg

Thursday

Arko Soap
Phoenix Hill Silvertip
Gillette NEW
Feather Blade
Thayers Aftershave/ Nivea ASB

An enjoyable shave, the Feather seemed to go really well with the NEW.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1979 Super Adjustable/Iridium
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet SC
SebaMed AS Balsam
Penhaligons 'Blenheim Bouquet' EdT

I can't remember the last time I used a Super Adjustable and the reason I grabbed this today is because it's my four year DE anniversary. Yep, this is the razor that started me on that crazy journey and I figured to go full circle this morning.

Very nice shave, helped along with the BB SC sample that Robert sent me recently. I gotta say that Penhaligon makes some great creams and the Blenheim fragrance is excellent. It's not cheap, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Heh, kinda strange using this long handle, but no problem with any minor technique tweaks. The 1979 version has the plastic baseplate, but shaves very similar to the earlier models.

BBS results,

Martin

Thursday 09-29-11.

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Rooney 1/2 silvertip - Merkur Progress - Gillette Platinum #1 - Pre JASÖN - Col Conk Bay Rum shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Myrsol Emulsión - ASL Honeybee Gardens Bay Rum.

Afeitado29-09-11.jpg

Thursday

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable K4
Razor Blade: Gillette Goal
Brush: Boar
Shave Cream: Barbus Cream
After Shave: Arko Cream

Prep was just warm water. Tried the Barbus Cream for the1st time. Not bad, would have been better if the shipping wasn't as much as the product! Started the Slim on 2, went to 4, then 6. As usual, a predictably nice shave.

Back
Top Bottom