Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 6th November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday, 11.7.10

Aura Glow
Mitchell's Wool Fat ... Is there anything else?
New Forest #2201 2-band Superior Badger
H. Diamond #8000 Square Point
SRD Premium I Strop ... 35 Linen/75 Leather
Nivea AS Balm
Spanish Floïd Suave AS

Admittedly, Ole' Jack and I have had more than our share of laughs together over the years... He is truly not a gent to be taken lightly!

Shaves just don't get much better than today's...

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!

IMG_2395-1.jpg

Sunday

White proraso pre/post
NF Silvertip
MenU Shave cream
7 oclock OC + red IP (1)
Alum
Thayers with lemon
Proraso ASB

A close shave - the 7 oclock ( gillette new long comb) shaves well, but I was left with some irritation. This was due to the shaving cream I think. Same setup but with a different cream/soap next time I think.

I had a little bit of the MenU cream left in the bottle - its now in the bin, I will not be buying anymore.

Sunday

Alu Tech
Red IP x 1
Shavemac 167
TOBS cream
Shulton OS

first outing with a Personna and it wasn't as good a first outing as i've recently had with a Feather, Super-Thin or even a Lord
it might be one of those blades that you need to get the first one out of the way for it to settle down :roll:

Saturday & Sunday

Feather Portable
Red IP (1 & 2)
Simpsons Major (Best)
Wilkinson Soap Stick

Tabac AS
Nivea ASB

Two very smooth, trouble free shaves and I'm delighted with each.

The razor takes a little getting used to but the Red IP is a good match for both it and me. For the price the quality of the FP is unbeatable.

The Major did shed a few more hairs than I would have liked and I must keep an eye on it. They are not cheap brushes and, frankly, they ought not to be a worry.

The Wilkinson sticks are cracking and in my humble opinion better than Palmolive, although they do lack a discernable scent. Like most German kit they are of a superior quality.

Oh yes - it was bloody cold in the sticks this weekend...but l wouldn't be anywhere else, given a choice.

:)

First Bulgarian Cream test drive

IMAG0058.jpg

Manufactured in Plovdiv, Bulgaria by <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://biofresh-bg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://biofresh-bg.com/</a><!-- m -->

On the assumption that I should start low, I decided to start with the cheapest one I found on my recent travels - the one that I almost didn't buy, because it was too cheap :lol: at 60 stotinki (Mr Google tells me that's about 27p, €0.31) per 100ml it's a wonder it's worth selling, even in Bulgaria where purchasing power is less than 50% of the Western European level.

Well, I can tell you that it has an obviously synthetic fragrance, but lathers like a demon and shaves very well - comparable to Palmolive Classic (as sold in Tesco, Asda etc) - and with a hint of menthol, feels slightly cool on the face. No major cooling effect in the rinse like you get with Proraso though.

Ingredients (or as it prefers "COCTAB"): Aqua, Myristic Acid, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Boric Acid, Parfum, Sodium Borate, Menthol, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl-3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde.

The shave:

1955 Gillette British Flare Tipped Rocket
NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (3)
Fido 2211
Mystic Men Shaving Cream

First - the backdated entries since last week's SOTD thread is now locked:

Friday

5/8 J Gleave & Son Hollow Ground, MWF, Simpsons Commodore X1, Boots Distilled Witch Hazel,
RSC Extra Moisturising Post Shave Balm, Prof Blighty's Olde Mulberry cologne

1288977802251.jpg

Saturday

Ever Ready 1912, GEM SE blade, Tabac stick, Simpsons Commodore X1,
Razorock alum stick, Body Shop White Musk for Men AS Balm and EDT

1289030898371.jpg

Sunday

6/8 Texol No.5, Cella soap, Simpsons Commodore X1, Razorock alum stick, Body Shop Arber AS Balm and EDT

1289124722054.jpg

Sunday evening, in Durham NC

Second shave after 1 week away from base, same (and last) set up as last one (with the addition of the newly acquired Davidoff Cool Water EdT).

Gillette Contour II, Semogue 1438, GFT sample, water splash, TBS White Musk asb sample.

IMG_1302.jpg

I already miss Norway and a special soul I met there...

Sunday Evening:

• - UH's Black & Blues razor & bowl by Le Tuft
      - Vie Long 'Burnt Toffee'
      - Tiger Superior stainless steel (Czec Rep.)
      - Nanny's Citrus & Hint o' Nutmeg soft shave soap
      - Thayers' Lemon Witch Hazel
      - MICAlum
      - Edouard Pinaud Classic Vanilla ASL[/list:u][/list:u]

RAWR!

Sunday Late morning. After getting up from night shift.

Hot Shower/ hot towel/ Proraso pre
Arko / NF2201 Bowl lathered
Merkur 38R / Shark (1)
Alum/ Proraso AS/ Trumpers lime

Haven't used the 38R for a while, and decided to use a blade i haven't tried. The combination was excellent. No irritation of any kind and very close and smooth. The Arko i find seems to dry on my face quick quick and leaves my skin feeling dry as well. But over all very nice. Hopefully I will get to try the same combo but substitute the Arko for Some Mama Bears bay rum for the next outing. :D

Razor: Rolls Razor Imperial 2
Brush: Simpsons Case
Soap: Tabac

SPM_A3336.jpg

Wring 2x. 1min 35. 8 pass. Rework 1st pass. Thick lather. Good cushioning.
Smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom