Shave of the day W/C Saturday 30th April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday AM

Hot flannel plus thin lather (Kyle's prep)
Gillette Slim
SuperMax Stainless (1)
Kent BK2
Provence Sante soap from group buy, face-lathered
Boots witch hazel
Nivea Sensitive ASB

3 passes: WTG (6), XTG (5), XTG (5).

Result: DFS, though some remaining stubble because I was cautious - first shave with soap rather than cream. :cool:

Well, that was interesting. I found it a bit hard to get enough soap on the brush for my usual three passes (had to reload brush from the puck). I wonder whether the Kent is a bit floppy for soap? Anyway, I initially got a nice consistency of lather, but it didn't seem to explode and fill the brush as much as I'd hoped. I did like the slipperiness of the lather, though; even when I reloaded the brush and added too much water, the lather was still nice and slick. I did get a tiny bit of irritation, but that was where I gave myself some razor burn yesterday. Otherwise, no after-effect. Think I'll try bowl-lathering next time to see if that helps really fill the centre of the knot with lather.

hunnymonster said:
Just load your brush for longer... slightly drier brush than you think (easier to add water to compensate for too much soap than add soap to compensate for too much water)

Cheers HM! I did try to do that, but perhaps I needed to get the water right.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Lion
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation tallow version)
SebaMed AS balm
Lubin 'Idole de Lubin' EdT

Ahhhhhh, back to my go to razor once again, this time paired with a new to me Lion blade. A buddy of mine recently sent out a 5 pack, telling me how good these blades are. Man...he was exactly right about those things. Very sharp, smooth, and forgiving.......I could easily use these every day. No idea how many shaves these are capable of, but we'll see.

BBS results,

Martin

Razor: J.A. Henckels rostfrei 6/8
Strop: Ambrose Spanish Horse (25/60)
Brush: Vie Long E16510
Lather: Martin de Candre unscented + Avène SC
AS: Eau d'Eméraude
EdT: Parfums de Nicolai, cedrat cologne

Picture:
P5053111.jpg

Thursday:

Red tip
LaDas ss
New Forest two band chunky
La Toja stick
Bulldog asb

Smooth :)

I seem to have entered another 'trying out new blades' phase. Second time using a LaDas - pretty good, but not as good as Voskhods. Just remembered that I've got a pack of Perma-Sharps stashed away, so will be trying those out tomorrow.

Jos

Thursday, 05-05-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive - Restored brush TGN Grade A - Merkur Progress - Polsilver #2 - Pre Edwin Jagger - Golfo del Tigullio shaving soap (sample) - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - Gel aftershave JASÖN 6 in 1 - ASL Golfo del Tigullio (sample).

Afeitado05-05-11-1.jpg

evening shave today.

Warm towel on face

last of my Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna cream
Gillette SuperSpeed ('66)
Dorco ST301
Wilkinson bristle brush

Armani Acqua di Gio ASB

feelin' smooth

Music - soulpower-radio.com (friend is a DJ on there)

Because of the threat of having the water turned off due to water mains work I had to have my
s
smiley35.gif
t shower and shave a couple of hours early.........

Prep:- Hot shower

Music:- AC/DC

Soap:- MWF

Brush:- Edwin Jagger Silver Tip Badger

Razor:- Bluebeards Revenge Scimitar

Blade:- Derby Extra ( 2 )

1x WTG, 1x XTG 1x ATG

A/S:- Alum block and Original Source Soothing Balm.

While I was shaving I also shaved Mr Mole and he saw red! :eek: Fortunately the alum block rapidly stemmed the flow.

I used the Edwin Jagger instead of the Men-U brush, being larger it produces a prodigious amount of lather but it is not as stiff so you don't really feel it massaging and stippling the face when applying the lather..........

The shave it's self feels very smooth but looking closely I don't think it is as close a shave as I sometimes get. Next shave next week..........

I also shaved Mr Mole and he saw red!

ouch that sounds painful, is it ok to diy remove moles with a razor, I always thought that if ya caught one you bled to death,,,,,matlad,,, are you still with us? :eek:

Sounds a good shave apart from the niknik
:shave

Thursday Night:

• - Eclipse Red Ring that has seen better days*
          - Rainbow Super stainless blade
          - Vie Long 12705 horsehair naturale
          - Kalina Everest shave cream
          - MICAlum stick
          - Thayers' Cucumber witch hazel
          - Kalina Everest ASC[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

*NOTE: and shall hopefully see them again after I get it over to Dave at safety-razor.com.

Friday Morning

Simpson Beaufort
Ogallala Bay Rum Limes & Peppercorn Soap
Gillette Tech
Gillette 7 0'Clock Yellow
Ogallala Limes & Peppercorn Bay Rum

First use of a Beaufort, only tiny being a B1, and much stiff than the Milk Churn. I really shows the difference between Best and Pure Badger, Simpsons Super must be extremely soft !!! B1 and the Limes & Peppercorn produced a lovely thick lather. 7 O'Clock brilliant as normal finished off with the Limes and Peppercorn Bay Rum WOW lovely smell and a great start to the day, with no nicks and a smooth face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom