Shave of the day W/C Saturday 30th April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was a first time shave with my cleaned and restored gillette red tip loaded with a derby. Had a DFS but also some irritation in my neck. Luckily that dissapeared after an hour or so.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Savile Row 208
1970s Schick M type adjustable injector/Personna Stainless Steel (NOS)
QED Sandalwood SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Tom Ford 'Amber Absolute' EdP

Another very nice shave with this razor/blade combo. Takes a little more work because of the light weight, but it's a small thing to put up with. Yeah, you gotta apply a little pressure to keep the blade from skipping around (a bad thing), and that part of the injector technique can take a few times to figure out. Also, I'll need to go over a few of the tougher spots a little more than if using a Feather or Iridium in the Gillette. In my case though, injectors are as familiar to me as a DE would be. What's new is the couple of previously untried NOS blades I've tried in the last year or so. Whew doggies! Finding very sharp and forgiving injector blades is always a nice surprise.

The sandalwood soap that Charles sells is the only shaving item with that fragrance in my rotation. Tried lots of sandalwood scented things over the years, and the QED was the big winner. No idea what kind of EO he uses (where it's from), but his stuff hits my nose just right. The Amber Absolute seemed the perfect combo, since that juice has a woody intensity without having any sorta powdery thing going on that amber frags can be prone to. Heh, a small amount of this concentrated wonderfulness lasts about twelve hours or more.

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday PM

Hot flannel
Merkur HD
SuperMax Stainless (2)
Kent BK2
Palmolive Classic cream, face-lathered
Boots witch hazel
Nivea Sensitive ASB

3 passes: WTG, XTG, XTG.

Result: DFS, but one small weeper

A rapid-fire shave tonight; I had intended to shave yesterday, but a late decision to go out tomorrow morning meant that I postponed until this evening. In the end, it was a good shave, with two hitches; firstly, this brush is too floppy to face-lather effectively, and second, despite an irritation-free shave, I got a mystery weeper on my jawline.

Sunday pm

shower, slap on some 3P pre-post shave cream
Vulfix 404 bodger loaded with T&H Lavender cream
EJ 89bl with Voskhod (2)
Nice, smooth shave, 3 passes with touch-ups under the jawline (I seem to have to do this every shave, so it has simply become part of my routine)
Alum, several rinses, job done.

After the face was unstubblified, decided to have a go at the old napper. Since it has been a few days since I trimmed the hair up there with the strimmer, decided to reduce the hair with a cart (new Quattro) cos I tried a pass with the Voskhod and it tugged like a bugger.

Mistake.

Even though I used a fresh lather of the T&H, a brand new cart and had soaked the head using a hot towel, I found it a real trial to complete the shave. Tugging, scraping, scalp now feels hot anf tight despite post-shave products. To think I shaved this way for years. Gadzooks!

At least the face is BBS, first time I have achieved such closeness though I have been getting close recently. That's two months in now, so I am quite happy with progress. Rewarded myself with a splash of Barbershop Bay Rum (that man deserves a knighthood for services to men's faces!) :lol: :lol:

Will definitely be recording the Voskhod as a winner in the spreadsheet!

Ainslie

Sunday

No-name 6/8 wedge
Mama Bear's Aged Spice soap
Simpsons Commodore X1
L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra-Energetic Hydrating Boost Post-Shave Balm
Jeris Musk AS Cologne

Sunday
Institut Karite SS/Vie Long E16505 brush/Merkur HD with Wilkinson/Weleda Lotion/Weleda Balsam
P1160823.jpg

I really LOVE this brush,and for me,performs better than my shavemacs D01 silvertip (but only a little bit more)

Sunday night for work

Soap - Ogallala Bay Rum and Sweet Orange
Brush - Semogue Owners Club 2 band
Razor - Meuhle R89
Blade - Gillette Bleue 1 (new not os)
AS - Thayers Superhazel
ASB - Village Barber

3rd shave with the R89 nice and mild DFS

Monday

Muehle R89 : Wilkinson : Semogue Owners Club : Acca Kappa 1869 (almond) : Institut Karité after shave balm : Miller Harris Terre de Bois

SOTD_02May.jpg

Very very nice, once again. I had missed the SOC, this type of brush handle feels very good in my hands. May get the SOC badger brush now as well...

Edit: Happy Bitrhday, Peter! Hope you have a good one...

Re: Shave of the day W/C Saturday April 30 2011

Monday
  • Gillette Fusion ProGlide
  • Simpson Duke
  • Czech & Speake #88 soap
  • D R Harris Pink aftershave
  • Czech & Speake #88 cologne[/list:u]

Mysore sandalwood soap
Merkur 34C HD
Feather Blade
NF finest silvertip
Truefitt & Hill west Indian limes
Alum
L'Occitane Bavx balm
L'Occitane Bavx EDT

Finding in a short time the two shaving kits and methods I like most, the Feather AS-D1 and the Merkur 34C HD with a feather blade, or a Gillette super thin, with two or three creams and soaps at the most, glad to not stock up on a million products like some people tend to do, when I find products a methods that work or me I tend to stick with it, and try not to shell out on a constant basis.

001-3-1.jpg

Monday morning
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Chris (custom turned handle)
Razor: Red Imp
Soap: Provence Sante
AS: TOBS original
Strops: Neil Milller
Result: Very, very clean :)
006800x678.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.