Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 1st Jan 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a long anticipated wait, I got my Okudo Suita slurry stone (tomo-nagura) from Ken at Precise Sharpening. The slurry stone was 2cm x 5cm, and the larger stone is 5cm x 10cm. I'm no natural stone genius, but after a wonderful shave off the 30K Shapton Glass on the Torrey, I decided to see how the Okudo Suita would compare. I slurried up the stone, and did about 70 light laps. Under the scope, the scratches from the 30K Shapton Glass turned into a matte finish. The line of the edge was absolutely straight - OMG!

For the shave, the edge lost some of that "sharpness" off the 30K Shapton and gained "smoothness" more akin to Chromium Oxide, but not quite the same. I was impressed. By the ATG pass, I was practically BBS. The 3rd pass was a shear delight, and very smooth - especially under the chin, which normally gets a little rough for razors. Overall, I would rate the Okudo Suita I have as at least a 30K, since I didn't do that much on the slurry, and it was my first time out with it. This stone is definitely a keeper - but it really does need the slurry stone (tomo-nagura) to maximize it's potential. :D

Razor - Ray's Torrey (still need to get it back to him!!)
Brush - Penworks
Cream - Olivia's Rolling Stone (not only do I love it, it seemed most appropriate in this situation :D )
Lotion - Olivia's Rolling Stone
Strop - Kanayama 50,000

WOW!

Attachments

• Image0138a.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 42
really nice Mikael :hungrig

Plisson #14 Haute Montagne : Wacker 7/8 : Klar Kabinett soap : Dr. Harris Pink After shave

Xsotd_1101062.jpg

Thursday, 01-06-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive oil - The Golden Nib Silvertip Grade A - Flare Tip Shaving Shak razor - ASCO #1 - Pre PREP - Mitchell's Wool Fat - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Pinaud Clubman + ASB Truefitt & Hill.

Afeitado06-01-11002-1.jpg

Thursday. Jan 6, 2011

MWF
Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf
Gem carbon steel blade
Chubby 1 Super
Alum block
Nivea balm

DFS shave! The old Gem really shines these days!!

Fred

Hot shower
T+H Trafalgar cream
EJ Black badger
Merkur HD
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. (2)
Cold water and Alum
T+H Trafalgar balm and cologne

Okay shave, slightly rushed as I was late for work, but no damage done. Just a couple of rougher spots to annoy me all day.

Looking forward to a day off to let my neck line relax.

Thursday, 1.6.11

Aura Glow and Hot Towel Treatment
Prairie Creations Tallow & Lanolin Shave Soap .. Sweet Grass
New Forest 2201 Superior Badger
Gabel 36 Spike Point
SRD P1 Strop .. 70 Linen/80 Leather
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Nivea AS Balm
Ice Blue Aqua Velva

The Gabel 36, always a great shaver, went to the La Grosse Blanche, and what a stunning improvement over the Naniwa 12K... One of the few remaining blades that had not yet been retouched on a coticule. This blade is on the National MFB (Most Favored Blade) list around here, and with good reason!The Sweet Grass scent of the PC soap is one that I favor, and the tallow, lanolin and shea butter make is slick and supportive..

IMG_2914-2.jpg

Thursday

Gillette New Regent
Lord Platinum
Body Shop Maca Root cream
Simpson's Commodore X1
Razorock alum stick
Jasper Conran Man AS Balm
Floid Blue AS

Thursday

Evening Straight Practice

Kropp 5/8
New Forest 2201 Brush
Taylor's St. James Shaving Cream
D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave Lotion

Slowly, but surely, things are improving. I seem to have worked out which hand to use for what, I just need to get the shaves closer, especially on my neck.

Ian

Thursday Evening:

• * Le Tuft Urban Hermit's Black & Blues
    • o custom made shave set[/list:u]
      * Asco Blue & Red super stainless
      • o Lord Razor Group - Egypt[/list:u]
        * Mama Bear's Lilac & Lavender
        • + perhaps I've/I'm acquired/acquiring a sensitivity to glycerin soaps
          • # I start getting dry, itchy-crawly-type sensations after the soap has been on my skin for bit - more intense and more frequent with each use, it seems to me[/list:u][/list:u]
            * Thayers' Lavender Witch Hazel
            * Booster's Lilac ASL
            • o classic Canadian line of aftershave lotions[/list:u][/list:u]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom