Shave of the day W/C Saturday 16th of July

EJ 89
Whatever the hell my badger brush is
Racer blade (1)
Body Shop Maca Root Cream
Real Shaving Co ASB

That was last nights, decent shave again with just two passes and a slight touching up.

EJ 89
Whatever the hell my badger brush is
Racer blade (2)
Body Shop Maca Root Cream
Real Shaving Co ASB

I can honestly say tonights was absolutely shit...usually every couples of weeks get a rubbish shave for some reason.

Will you lot stop posting nice pictures of straights, i'm terrified to get one (but want one) and you're not helping.

Wednesday Night:

• - 1932 Patent Canadian-made Gillette Tech with thick, ribbed handle
    - Rapira Super stainless blade (Not Canadian, Russian)
    - O' Canada Soapworks Company's Shavers' soap (creamed)
    - Le Tuft refurbished Fuller Brush (Canada) with 19mm Horsehair knot
    - Thayers' Lavender witch hazel (Not Canadian, U. S. of American)
    - Boosters' Lilac ASL

Two Canadian passes and comparatively no Canadian polish-pass to really speak of, producing lovely Canadian-made results on the whole; considering that the only luck had with this Canadian soap, so far, has been of the bad luck variety ...

Tonight:

Hot shower
Palmolive cream, (first use), face lathered with
New Forest Tubby 2
Merkur HD, with
Gillette 7OC Yellow (5)
Nivea ASB

Not immediately impressed with the Palmolive - I didn't like it as much as the stick, though I can't put my finger on why. That said, while the shave didn't feel especially great in progress it was quick and clean and has left me unusually clean - genuinely hairless to the touch in all directions, in fact.

Did manage to nick my left cheekbone on the first pass (absolutely no idea how, didn't notice it as it was done), which bled lightly throughout the shave. Styptic pencils are absolutely magical, aren't they.

Wednesday Night

Kukri 5/8 - Palmolive Soap - Vie Long Horse - Alum - Oldspice Whitewater
ilvrdu.jpg

Very clean

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson, Polo 8
Razor: Puma in lovely custom horn scales w MOP inlays by Neil Miller
Soap: Cade
AS: Aqua Vera, vintage
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: VVC - very, very clean/close :D
011800x627.jpg

Gillette Single Ring OC Razor
Permasharp Super Blade
NF 2221
Provence Sante Soap
Loccitane Cade ASB
A splash of Old Spice

Really loving the OC razor with the permasharp blade getting BBS results without even trying for it.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
Fatboy/Iridium
Body Shop SC (thanks Slimbo)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
vintage Dior 'Eau Sauvage' EdT

First time using this shaving cream and it's a pleasant enough product. Lathers easily with great looking results. Plenty of cushion and a little slicker than average. Post shave skin care is fine. Thanks go to Slikki for the nice gift.

BBS results,

Martin

Thursday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
D.R. Harris Pink a/s

Yes, it's been the same since Monday. The new MWF soap is getting there, and starting to lather better now that it's broken in a bit. The Swede has been in the razor since Saturday's shave, and feels like it will last to this Saturday quite easily.

Speaking of razors, I think that I may have a new favorite in the DE89.

Ian

Thursday 07-21-11. MUSIC: Chavela Vargas_LP_Vol. 1

mzi.qznjnulh.170x170-75.jpg

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Rooney 12 silvertip - Merkur 25C - Polsilver #2 - Pre Edwin Jagger - TOBS Avocado shaving cream - Alum lock - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Floïd - ASL Floïd Vigoroso.

Afeitado21-07-11.jpg

Arko soap (in a tube)
Joseph Rodgers silver bowl to work up a good lather
My favourite silvertip badger with ivory substitute handle
Vintage Gillette Superspeed (arrived today from Erwin, so it had to be tried)
Merkur stainless blade
Alum block
Balm
Eau Sauvage

sotd-20110721-700.jpg

I posted pics of that lovely pie crust edge Joseph Rodgers silver bowl in another post yesterday. First time I have used it as a shaving bowl. I picked up the Arko shaving cream last year in Turkey. Short story is that my travel gel ran out, and the local shopkeeper delivered it to the yacht we were holidaying on, along with the groceries when I had asked for "shaving soap". (At the time I wasn't carrying a brush). It produces a really fabulous rich creamy lather which is frankly the best of any of the soaps that I have, and it was ideal to try in that bowl. (Enough for a pre-coat and rub with fingers, and three applications without making more).

The 1955 Gillette Superspeed arrived in the post today from Erwin in Holland. (From the buy&sell here on the forum). So I had to try that. My goodness. It was like shaving using an old friend. (Did I used to have one of these way back when I first started shaving?)

1 pass WTG, 1 XTG, 1 ATG. All extremely light.
Not a single weeper.

For the first time ever, I used an alum block after the final cold rinse, onto the wet skin. It stung a little. But wow! (That arrived in the post today too). Fresh, icy, closed up the pores and antibacterial in one go. I left that to work for a minute or so, and then patted with cold water, before patting dry and applying balm. To top it all as a special treat I used a tiny splash of my special reserve Eau Sauvage aftershave lotion ('spensive stuff, and I am nearly out).

End result. One of the best shaves I have had in many, many years.

Rod

Back
Top Bottom