Shave of the day W/C Saturday 16th of July

Ball End New OC Razor(a lend from HM)
Gillette 7 0 Clock Black
NF2221
Provence Sante Soap
Old Spice A/S
Loccitane Cade ASB

Another OC for me to try today and what a cracking shave it gave 1 pass was all i needed.

Friday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
GFT Limes Aftershave

Same again, but just changed the aftershave. 7th consecutive shave with the Swede, and I think it'll go an 8th!

Ian

5 mins ago:

16e8b9b5.jpg

• Common stainless kitchen bowl
  • Nivea Mild SC
  • New Forest Finest Silvertip 2213
  • Gillette Fatboy with a SuperMax Super Stainless blade
  • Barbershop Bay Rum AS

A classic 3-round shave with my newly received Fido brush. Must say, as this is my first silvertip brush: this is a totally different league :blush: Love this brush!

Friday, 22.Jul.2011

Predopobarba Proraso
Semogue 1305
Martin de Candre
MÜHLE R41
Personna Continente
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Musgo Real ASB

P1040738.jpg

A friend sent me this new safety-razor from MÜHLE to try. Definitely not for me.

RE: Friday

scottymac said:
How you finding the R41 K?

Aye Scotty it's certainly not for the faint hearted.

The blade is overly exposed, nothing like you've ever seen before, I can tell you that. Leaves the Tuckaways and the vintage Gillette OCs and/or the contemporary Merkur OCs miles behind...

Needs care, great care - from the very first moment you'll let it touch your skin.

However, once you know your skin, your pace and get the angle right, it shaves very well. In my case I feel I get very good results with 2 days stubble or more, and to be honest I would not want to try it just after 24hrs from the last shave. It needs a lot of grain to clear, if you're with me.

I feel the optimal point is lost, in a sense. To me, razors like the New Improved or the Tuckaway, even the No. 77, are perfect in terms of aggressiveness and comfort at the same time. They give you a top shave, without exposing you to such a great risk. So essentially they have the scale turned down a bit, however the whole experience feels better and is more safe as well.

With the new Muehle R41 OC you get raw power - no compromise. You need to see and/or feel it in order to believe it. I feel we don't need something like that on a daily basis. Nonetheless, a 'must have' for those who love shaving, an experience that needs to be sampled every now and then.

Friday 07-22-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Vie-Long Professional horse hair "Extra" - Palmera safety razor - Gillette Platinum #1 - Pre La Chinata - LEA shaving cream - Alum block - ASB La Chinata - ASL Brummel.

Afeitado22-07-11.jpg

Prep: Hot shower + Proraso for the head shave
Brush: SOC, two band
Razors: Filarmonica DT 13 + British Popular no 47 (for head)
Soap: La toja
AS: Mennen SB
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
004800x656.jpg

Friday

Rolls - Vulfix 2235 - GFT Sandalwood - Alum - Jovan Musk
2v3od95.jpg

My technique (getting the right angle) with the rolls has improved and I had the best shave I've had with one so far. Still not as sharp as my straights and I think the leather of the strop could do with being replaced but I have some leather coming to have a play about with that and a spare panel to attach it to.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage Marshall Fields badger
Gillette Popular/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Caron 'Yatagan' EdT (1970s vintage)

Second shave with the UK made Popular, and this reminds me of a Sheraton/Senator US model. One of the milder OC types, but still has some good bite. Handle's a bit on the thin side and the barberpole knurling ;s kinda on the shallow side, which makes it a little tougher to grip than some other models. Nice balance and a closer than usual shave. This razor does a nice job of whacking them there whiskers..

For those of you who enjoy Yatagan, this older version is nothing like the currently produced juice. The vintage stuff has lots more going on, and the intensity is stronger. I much prefer the early version.

BBS results,

Martin

Here's a pic of the thin handle Popular next to the #16 Aristo.

Attachments

• Gillette Popular and others 008 (Small).jpg
    Gillette Popular and others 008 (Small).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom