Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 11th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two bits of advice bin the dorco blade and no pressure also are you using the alum before or after shave just where it came in line up of shave makes me ask. If you dont have other blades to try (other than the dorcos) shoot me a pm and will put a small sample in the post.

Thank you kindly for your offer Pedro but I am in east asia and I'm afraid it might be a bit expensive.

I put the alum on after I shave, but before any balm. Am I doing it right?

What blades would you recommend for a new shaver like myself?

Pig

pig_bodine said:
Thank you kindly for your offer Pedro but I am in east asia and I'm afraid it might be a bit expensive.

I put the alum on after I shave, but before any balm. Am I doing it right?

What blades would you recommend for a new shaver like myself?

Pig

would say red personna but dont know whats available in your area maybe gillette super thins I found the dorcos I tried to be horrible thats why I am saying but YMMV. Alum is for aftershave so thats right just me getting confused. Or maybe derbys blades even found them better than dorcos.

Father Ted said:
Hot flannel
Steam Punk Brush
Ikon Standard
Gillette Bleue (3)
TOBS cream
Somersets oil
WS ASB
Boots Freshwood AS

Nice.
Hi Father Ted , am a newby but have ordered an ikon Standard and would like your opinion of it. Have started with an HD Merkur 34C but could not resist the look of the ikon. It is the brushed stainless standard head bulldog, paid for it this Friday.
ps love the merkur but you know how it is I have the syndrome already :hungrig

Sunday Afternoon:

• - Gillette Adjustable (H3 Slim)
      - Elios Inox
      - Bea Stick shave soap
      - Vie Long Burnt-Caramel coloured horsehair
      - Humphreys Cucumber Melon Witch Hazel
      - Aquatonic Man ASL[/list:u][/list:u]

WTG x1 @ '9' then ATG x1, WTG x1 & polishing @ '5'
      • - didn't work too badly. Not used the Slim for a while, so there was a bit of claret, but nothing that a copious application of cold water rinsing and the rest of the after shave regime didn't put to rights dead quick.[/list:u]

Sunday, 12.12.10

Aura Glow
Klar Kabinett Shave Soap
New Forest #2211 Finest Silvertip
Hayashi Diamond #8000 13/16ths
Cowhide Strop .. 70 Linen/75 Leather
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Nivea AS Balm
Pashana AS

There's a new Sherriff in town... and his name is Mr. Hayashi. He just met the coticule this morning, and it appears that they hit it off famously. I enjoyed the closest shave I've ever had this morning.
The other actors are the Klar Kabinette soap that I cannot find enough superlatives for, and the Pashana aftershave splash.

One small step for shavedom... One giant leap for my face. Simply outstanding!

The music for today is one of the more obscure albums from The Beatles' early days.. Something New

IMG_2642-2.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

1964 Macys badger
Schick adjustable M type injector/Schick Super Chromium (vintage)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
vintage Fragonard 'Zizanie' AS Creme Concentrate

Frustrating time using the injector this morning. I switched in mid shave from that Platinum Plus used yesterday and tried another new to me vintage blade. This one I had high hopes for, but it was nothing special. It was an average performer, and not as sharp as others I've used. I found myself having to go over a few spots waaay too often, which can be irritating. It wasn't quite smooth enough, and a bit too mild for my tastes.

Heh, I have one or two other blades to sample yet. Looks like another one for tomorrow. I gotta admit, I'm pretty particular when it comes to blades that fit me right. Man, I'm rubbing my face right now and it's still got some rough spots. I even dialed the injector up during the shave, which is something I usually never do.

Not even close to BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Macys small.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 47
Hot Shower
Boots Cheapo with Astra Superior Platinum
NF 2211
Nannys Ice and Slice
Alum
BS Maca Root ASB

Only the second shave with the Astra blade and after a good first shave it didn't seem to work for me this time,the face was ok but the neck took 3 passes also the blade seemed to tug a lot on the neck.
But hey ho will have to try something else i wish i took the rest of my blades offshore with me as i only have Tescos own brand and 4 other Astras.

Mikael said:
Saturday morning
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest
Razor: H Boker "Griplus"
Soap: Da Bomb Potomac
AS cologne: Fonex mixed with a little Davidoff Cool Water
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
Tried to add more water to Da Bomb today, but I think I found the sweetspot yesterday. Nicked my upper (stiff ;)) lip, but nothing serious. Nice one!
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/micke2010/SOTD/PC100007800x600.jpg

This pic was exactly 800x600 no luck though :cry: only: "Your images may only be up to 600 pixels wide." :cry:

The clue is in the error, your image is 800 wide.

[attachment=0]

Attachments

• PC100007800x600.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 100
Sunday evening

33C & Wilkinson Sword (U.K.) > Semogue 830 & Irisch Moos > Mennen Skin Bracer > Santa Maria Novella pre/dopo barba crema.

- The blade did a great job, cheers Pete, cannot say the English ones are radically better than the German ones but it's too early to tell anyway and I need to try them on a TTO as well.
- The 33C once again proved clearly less forgiving than the vintage TTOs I have been shaving with lately. Managed to cut myself twice, had actually not cut myself for quite some time...
- The Mennen is very nice, cheers Max.
- First try on the IM, cheers Erwin, typically rich lather Tabac-style, nice scent (not as exquisite, natural and special as Henk's' Dutch Moos of course but still good.)
- SMN pre/dopo barba crema: heavenly, simple as that.

Attachments

• SOTD_12Dec.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 100
Sunday

2nd shave of the day!

This morning's shave was so distant (distant being the opposite of close) that tried again tonight.

KROPP 5/8
New Forest 2201 Brush
Proraso Cream
Clinique Post Shave Soother

A bit closer this time, but still looks like I need a shave. Some burn on the neck. Neck is very awkward to deal with on account of growth direction and the need to stretch the skin.

On the upside, my stropping appears to RAWK!

Ian

Sunday

Gillette Rocket HD
Feather
Arko Commando
Simpsons Commodore X1
Razorock alum stick
Jasper Conran Man AS Balm
Gillette Series Power Rush AS

Sunday

White proraso pre/post
NF silvertip
Nannys Yushi
Rolls Razor
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

Stropped the razor a lot tonight before the shave and that seemed to give it a good edge.
Very smooth - no irritation.

Sunday Night

Gillette Thermal Ex-foliating Scrub stuff
Hot towel
4/8 USA Special + Bic Sensitive for a final buff
Omega 81052 Boar
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad Soap
Alum
Homebrew Herby AS
Trumpers EDC

Very nice shave, #3 with the Omega, shed a few hairs but that's only to be expected. DFS almost BBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom