Shave of the day W/C Oct 29/10/2011

Merkur 38R with Polsilver blade
TOBS Jermyn Street Sensitive cream
Alum, styptic, toilet paper, Nivea sensitive balm

My second Polsilver blade. Got three shaves out of the last one before it started to fade. Could have gone for a fourth but I like them very keen.
The most noticeable thing about these blades is that they tear through stubble as if it wasn't there. There was no hint of drag or resistance whatsoever. Not even much friction. First pass would have been enough for a presentable shave but I went for two and it got closer. Too close for one cheek as I got a small nick which would not stop bleeding for about twenty minutes no matter how much alum, styptic or toilet paper went on it!

sammatty said:
With 2 1/2 bottles of blue and a full bottle of amber, I'm deluding myself that it will go back into production by the time I am finished!

Actually since it seems to show no signs of drying up, I wonder if it's not that production has stopped altogether, rather that Colomer SA (who make it) have moved production from Italy to Spain... previously it always had an Italian address on the bottle, now that the "cease of production" has been announced all the stock appears to have a Spanish one...

Possibly, however I found there is a difference in the scent of the Italian and the Spanish. That said the Spanish formulation has only been used in Spain and warm weather, sunshine and relaxation can do a funny thing to the senses.

No - I'm talking about the latest bottles of "Italian" Floid (both Blue & Amber) - still different to the Spanish... note the barcode.

"Old" stock
IMG_20111103_105252.jpg

Recently acquired stock
IMG_20111103_105215.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
FH Tech-Stahly frankenrazor/Feather
Rivivage SS
SebaMed AS Balsam
Guy Laroche 'Drakkar Noir' EdT (1990s version)

BBS results,

Martin

Wednesday

Hot Shower
Merkur 38B
Personna Red (3)
Unbranded Badger Brush
TOBS Eton College Cream
No Aftershave or Cologne used

Pretty awful shave really, I'm going to blame it on the fact I was in a rush, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I just don't get on with the Personna Reds. It's only the second time I have used one and I have a feeling I wasn't that impressed the first time around (I don't keep any kind of log)

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson, Chubby 2
Razor: Max Sprecher
Soap: Nanny French Lavender
AS: Blue Floid, Italy
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very close :D

Would have been an uberclose shave if I hadn't missed a little on a spot. This razor's so good and nice I used to two times in a row, that's rare for me and she wiped two days stubble away like it was nothing (chunky 90 grams wedge doesn't stop easy) :D
018800x630.jpg

Shower

erasmic shave stick pressed into a bowl wtg pass and TOBS shaving shop cream xtg pass

Edwin Jagger Pure badger brush

No-name shavette with 1/2 boots own brand DE razor

Botanics A/S balm

Gillette artic Ice A/S splash

Result: Disapointing lather from the erasmic, much better from TOBS. A few nicks mostly on the wtg pass i think from poor lather and not having used the shavette for a few days. End result very nice DFS, few nicks but no irritation.

joe mcclaine said:
IanM said:
Thursday

Feather AC SS Razor
Feather Proguard Blade (1)
New Forest 2201 Brush
Vitos Extra Super Coconut Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

I really like shaving with the Feather.

Ian

Nice one, Ian.

I know it has been a long slog for you to find a straight razor that suited you.

Cheers Vinny. I think the real breakthrough with the Feather this time around is using the Proguard blades. When I had a non-folding AC, I damaged myself with the Pro-Super blades. No such issues with the Proguard, I'm happy to say.

Ian

pugh-the-special-one said:
I must say Mikael that Razor looks better everytime I see it.

Regards Jamie

Cheers Jamie! It really has made me reevaluate things and left me a little lost, lool. But I don't know when I didn't shave every day and only skipped a shave once every blue moon. Now I've skipped two shaves in a week ... :icon_surprised: The shaves this razor gives are very nice, for me!

Re: RE: Shave of the day W/C Oct 29/10/2011

IanM said:
I really like shaving with the Feather.

Me too!

This morning:

Bulldog face wash
Feather Artist Club RG, ProGuard blade (4)
Proraso white soap
New Forest High Mountain Badger
Trumper's Limes skin food and GFT cologne

Just two passes plus a tiny neck touchup. Lovely :).

Back
Top Bottom