Shave of the day W/C 21/05/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot shower
TOBS lemon and lime cream (THANKS IanM!)
mug-lathered in a hot mug
Vulfix 404 mix brush (THANKS kev...!)
Boots DE razor and blade (2)
King of Shaves balm

Recut the Tuesday nick. Considering that this is the third straight day of either new or one-use blades and I used to have be super-careful with a new *cartridge*, a very acceptably low bloodshed level. I hope to continue to improve.

The TOBS cream smelled less strongly than I expected, lathered beautifully and more thickly than any of the stuff I've used before now, felt good going on, better and smoother to shave over, and left my skin feeling lovely. Balm felt much more cooling than usual too.

Three passes on face, four + fairly aggressive touchups on neck, and the cleanest closest shave I have had so far.

Friday

Good morning.

Filarmonica 13 : Semogue Owners Club : Penhaligons English Fern : Brut after shave : L'Erbolario balsamo

SOTD_27May.jpg

You can tell from the choice of razor this morning that we were inevitably going to have a visit by 'Mr. Nick'.
Neil Miller says in his 'choosing a straight razor' thread series that this type is "...not recommended for beginners..."
But of course the undersigned is not really bothered with such ...details. :roll:

So I went ahead and ended up with a close shave, 4 nicks and redness in the usual half side of the neck. Face hurts a bit, but we're ok.
A precise instrument, this beauty is. Did an excellent touch up job in both upper lip sides. With experience, this razor will do magic.

Arrowhead said:
Mikael said:
The other brush is an old Swedish NOS brush, it´s warranted to be a "digging swine", which in old Swedish could be a badger (it´s not in this case though), but also a Vole, a Porcupine or a Wolverine :D
I don't know which sounds cooler, porcupine or wolverine. It's a fine looking brush anyway.

I really like the brush and it´s numbered and is named "Lavo" (it´s vulcanised). It´s really cool and I´m tepmted to try, but I won´t... Wolverines are bad arses, but they´re only bad tempered mini bears :lol:

Konstaninos: Well done! It´s not funny to get plentyfull visits by Mr Nick, but you+ll get there! I find the new blend in Penhaligon to give good cushion but not the best slip. I would even say it´s not a good soap to start with when straight shaving (you need way more slipery soap, I think).

Merkur 34C-HD
Gillette super thin
Simpsons Chubby 2
Vulfix Persian Musk cream
Alum
L'Occitane Bavx Balm & Propolis
L'Occitane Bavx EDT

New shaving cream Vulfix Persian Musk, wonderfully rich and creamy with a individual scent, the shave was enjoyable smooth precise and near perfect.

Jamie.

001-1.jpg

Friday
  • Gillette Fusion ProGlide
  • Gillette Fusion ProGlide Gel (Hydrating)[/list:u]That's it. My journey has bought me back to where I started. It has been interesting to see what is out there and to get a different perspective on this most mundane of male tasks but I have always maintained it is just shaving.

I have posted a final sale thread up where the last remnants of my shave 'den' are being offered.

Boomshanka, or somesuch.

Mikael said:
Konstaninos: Well done! It´s not funny to get plentyfull visits by Mr Nick, but you+ll get there! I find the new blend in Penhaligon to give good cushion but not the best slip. I would even say it´s not a good soap to start with when straight shaving (you need way more slipery soap, I think).
Agree on the soap choice for today, Mikael, and also that it is not a very good soap to start straight shaving with.

Having used this soap for 3-4 successive shaves couple of weeks ago, I actually knew it probably wasn't going to be the best choice for today but gave it a try anyway.
This, in combination with the 'square-point' Filarmonica I selected, set me up for the nicks. Technique is not up there yet, so this is a razor that should actually be used at a later stage, really. Nonetheless, an enjoyable experience overall.

I'll try Cella, Nannys or something else next time. Any recommendations for a couple of really slick soaps I can stick to while I work on the technique? :)

N_Architect said:
I'll try Cella, Nannys or something else next time. Any recommendations for a couple of really slick soaps I can stick to while I work on the technique? :)

Well, Cella and Nannys works wonderful slipperu lather, as you know. I think you have the La Toja soap, yes!? MdC, Provence Santé, Arko, P160 and I think Cyril R Salter (don´t remember if it´s very slippery, it´s a very chunky soap anyhow :D).

Mikael said:
Well, Cella and Nannys works wonderful slipperu lather, as you know. I think you have the La Toja soap, yes!? MdC, Provence Santé, Arko, P160 and I think Cyril R Salter (don´t remember if it´s very slippery, it´s a very chunky soap anyhow :D).
Thank you "M", appreciated as usual. I actually have all these soaps apart from the Cyril R. Salter one.

Friday

Merkur 38C
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Mitchells Wool Fat Soap
Bulldog asb

I planned to have a second shave with the Injector today, but in my semi-concious state, I picked up the Merkur which I had in the bathroom in case the Injector was poor. A good shave, anyway :)

Ian

N_Architect said:
Mikael said:
Thank you "M", appreciated as usual. I actually have all these soaps apart from the Cyril R. Salter one.

How I could miss to mention MWF? Extrem slip! :D

Friday morning
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Shavemac, my D01 monster
Razor Klas Törnblom
Soap: Cella
AS: Code
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
004800x631.jpg

Friday

Lovely Hot Shower
Alum Dodorant (Via Audiolab) Due to the thread about Deodorants Lets see how this works ! Didn't irritate which some deodorants do.

Mama Bears Turkish Mocca
Milk Churn
Superspeed
Gillette Bleu (again thanks to Audiolab)
Myrsol
Ogallala Lime & Peppercorn

Bleu's are fantastic in the Superspeed. Love the Myrsol, I think I could use that every day.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1959 Fatboy/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation tallow version)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Roger and Gallet L'homme 'Sport' EdT

Picked up a new to me Fatboy and figured I should give it a test drive. Never know exactly how it'll fit till you actually shave with a razor, even though I've used countless Fatboys in the past.

Very nice shave........smooth and comfortable just as it should be. This one's gonna make someone happy when it's time to leave the arsenal. Little on the rough side cosmetically, but will make a very good everyday razor.

BBS results,

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom