Shave of the day W/C 21/05/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, 05-27-11. MUSIC: George Benson_LP_In concert Carnegie Hall (1975).

65439b68801dcd19a948806aad6b1a59.jpg

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Morris & Forndran two bands 25x53 - Gillette New Tech Handle - Gillette Platinum #1 - Pre 3P - Morris & Forndran Sandalwood shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB GFT Skin Food Sandalwood - ASL Florida Water.

Afeitado27-05-11001.jpg

Friday:

C V Heljestrand 4/8
Slant + Permasharp
New Forest tortoiseshell chunky
Nanny's lavender soap
Bulldog asb

Another adventure with the straight this morning. My confidence is growing, but the 'tache area is still fiendishly tricky, and I earned a couple of weepers as usual. The slant tidied up for a final pass. Very satisfying :)

Hot Shower
Loccitane Face Scrub
NF2211
Figaro soap
Slim Adjustable
Superthin
Loccitane Cade ASB

Back offshore so back on the DEs usual good shve with the slim and superthin

Friday

Razor: Mergress
Blade: Treet super something
Brush: Duke 3
Soap: Nannys lime

After some shedding issues with my Duke, I got my replacement today. Great service from Simpsons. My old duke had a bulby knot and the hair was quite brown and a tad scritchy. My new duke arrived, hair quality spot on, really White. Only concern was this one is a fan shape. I was concerned it would feel huge on my face compared to my bulb duke 3. Hmmm...

So I got to use it, wow, fans rock! It just hugs my face and loads up so much easier. Either my lather skills have shot up over night or a fan makes one heck of a difference when you face lather. I had mountains of lather. Way more then my old bulb duke. Also it just feels so much more comfortable on my face compared to a bulb.

And then the Mergress, wow, I love this razor. I like the noise it makes when it cuts the hair, something that you don't get with a old gillette.

Nannys soap, super slick, let's me pull of any manuvers with the razor no probs.

Overall, a BBS+ shave. Post shave is great stuff too!

Dipesh said:
Friday

The Mergress, wow, I love this razor. I like the noise it makes when it cuts the hair.

I put it down to the hollows under the blade if you get what i mean it's like a accustic effect ;)

Tonight's shave :shave :-

Prep:- Hot shower

Music:- Radio 2

Soap:- MWF

Brush:- Vie Long Horse-hair

Razor:- Bluebeards Revenge Scimitar

Blade:- Gillette Super Thin, & then a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow

Post shave:- Original Source Soothing Shave Balm

1x WTG, 1x ATG

Tried a Gillette Super Thin but could not get on with it so it was back to the 7 O'Clocks. I nicked my chin with the first blade which spoiled the shave a little but overall it was still a good one.

Hot shower
TOBS lemon and lime cream (THANKS IanM!)
mug-lathered in a hot mug
Vulfix 404 mix brush (THANKS kev...!)
Boots DE razor and blade (3)
King of Shaves balm

Same setup as yesterday. Lather even better this time - apparently I got it right, as now I understand what people mean about "exploding in the mug". Remarkable.

Nicked the very middle of my lower lip in a moment of stupidity. Thought that was the only touch today, but running a tissue over the Tuesday nick showed it weeping very very slightly.

Three passes on face, tried neck slightly differently. Still went down then up for first two, then did three very light across passes (ATG) until near BBS (rather than trying to take more off with each pass), followed by very light touchup. This seems a better method, but I suspect I shouldn't need five neck passes...

As yesterday, this combination of cream and balm produces a gradual but very dramatic cooling sensation - I feel right now like I have aircon blasting my face and neck! Not something the balm's done on its own in the past.

Another extremely smooth close shave.

Friday night shave
Prep: Hot shower

Razor: Gillette Super speed 1951 black tip

Blade: Gillette 7am yellow 2nd use

Soap: ToOBS Sandlewood

Brush: Pure badger

Post shave: Old spice! old skool smell like my grand-dad now (in a good way)

OMFG where has this razor been for the past 30 odd years that I've shaving? I have just had the best wet shave ever, BBS in only 2 passes!! no cuts or nicks, this razor glides across my face, I love it. Thank you so much for the gift Pete(man of leisure)

Merkur 38C 'barberpole'
Derby blade
Wilkinson Sword boar brush
Mitchells wool fat soap
Trumpers lime skin food
Professor Blighty's coconut aftershave

Have been 'DE-ing' since Tuesday, just using the Merkur for with the grain passes and going back to a green Gillette for against the grain (to give my skin the chance to adjust).

However (and exactly as Mantic says on his video) I was just too impatient to wait three weeks so decided to do a 'proper' DE shave today.

I decided to use my boar brush as opposed to a badger as I was lathering a soap and I have to say it worked very well.

Two downward passes, followed by one against the grain. My technique needs working on (particularly on my neck, I was very nervous around my adams apple) but no major cuts and my face is the smoothest it's been since adolescence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom