Shave of the day w/c 19/11/2011

SUNDAY EVENING

Laurel OC Razor THEN Cooncat Bull Mastiff OC (see below)
Nacet (3)
BR Privateer
Dutch Moss soap
Woodhead scuttle
Prof B yellow unction

Hmm, crap shave tonight.

My normal three pass routine and it felt like I had only done a WTG and XTG.

Had to crack out the Bull Mastiff to do another ATG pass (so two) and it felt good after that though a few nicks (as you'd expect|).

I've shaved with the Laurel before and don't remember it giving an appalling shave. Not sure if it doesn't like the Nacet or if it has a strange head angle but I'll be using the Bull Mastiff for the rest of the week as it gives an effortlessly close shave.

Sunday evening shave, kids all in bed, wife watching some dross on tv, so I decided to relax and have at my whiskers with the following equipment. The musical entertainment was provided by the late Johnny Cash. What an artist. Simply awe-inspiring music. But I digress. To business.

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Polsilver blade, first outing
Truefitt & Hill No. 10 shave cream
Taylors of Old Bond Street Pure Badger Brush produced plenty of nice lather in short order.

Two passes, first on 3 then on 6 (the highest I have dared turn it up to yet) - I haven't previously altered the setting between passes, but I have noticed it's a common practise, so I thought I would give it a try.
Minor touchups were needed in only two patches.

Alum block unearthed some irritation, plenty warm rinses later I applied some Old Spice Original Sensitive splash, then some RSC balm. Nice.

All in all, a good shave. Think Mr Cash will be a regular player in my bathroom band from now on, I enjoyed his accompaniment to today's shave that much!

Sunday
Gold Dollar 208 - Vie Long 14832 - Culmak - Alum - Pashana Original
2zegnjs.jpg

A great shave, my Gold Dollar is superb certainly one of my better shavers.

Monday Morning

Pre : Hot Shower
Razor : EJ DE89L
Blade : Gellette SharpEdge
Brush : Simpsons Duke 3
Soap/Cream : Tabac Mix Cream + Soap
ASL : Tabac
ASB : Nivea
Cologne : Tabac

1321851591622.jpg

1321851591881.jpg

EJDE89
W/Sword
Vulfix Mix
Proraso cream and balm
Black Suede EDT

Water looking a bit brown today due to contractor working somewhere on the pipes...... put me off a bit, but soldiered through like a shaving trooper.

Dinatali said:

Whilst technically this photograph isn't the best I've seen, I *love* the content. A picture taken whilst the shave was actually happening makes a nice change from seeing the equipment carefully laid out in pristine condition.

Ian

Monday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Astra SP Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Alum
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Not a bad shave after a night's sleep that was disturbed at least 4 times by various things.

Ian

This morning:

Bulldog face wash
Feather Artist Club RG, ProGuard blade (13)
Harris almond soap
New Forest Tubby 2
Trumper's coral skin food and GFT cologne

Another splendid shave, two and a half passes and bbs-. I would now be thinking about changing this blade on general principles even if there weren't a package upstairs with my name on and (I trust) a wood-finish RG in it :).

These blades will certainly do two weeks for me, which makes them less expensive than they otherwise look. Still not as cheap as DE, but do I care? Not a jot.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, 24 mm extra stuffed silvertip
Razor: Samson, David Issard
Soap: La Toja
AS: Ogallala, Limes and Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Pitty they'll stop making this soap, it's very nice and you can almost feel the salty mineral content :D
026800x580.jpg

... and some:
036777x800.jpg

Monday

Razor: Schick injector adjustable
Blade: Schick
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Rooney 3/1 best
Post: Nivea sensitive followed by Superdrug something or the other

Great shave. The injector adjustable almost makes things too easy!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1946-47 Aristocrat/Wilkinson Super Sword (NOS)
Nannys citrus zinger soft soap
AOS Lemon AS balm (Thanks Robert)
Givency 'Xeryus' EdT (black bottle)

BBS results,

Martin

I've managed to figure out how to get the best out of the many brushes I've tried. One has eluded me:

http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/wee-scot.html

I got in another fine mess this morning. It didn't help I was digging deep into what's left of my Martin de Candre in a jar. Lather is fine but gets all over the handle and compared with larger brushes it's so much less comfortable to apply. It's just too small. I'll give it a go using a soap stick - I don't recall trying that. If that doesn't go well it will be for display only- it's a bit of an icon so I ought to have one in the collection. Or perhaps not....

Well, I'm currently at my Mother's and had previously left my "original" DE shaving kit here for emergenices, should I forget to bring supplies with me!

Said kit consists of a WS blue bowl of soap, WS shaving brush, a Boots simple DE razor and a random selection of blades... I decided to try out part of the kit today, to remind me why I've spent excessive amounts of money on "good" products.

So, today's shave consisted of:

• Wilkinson Sword boar shaving brush
  • Wilkinson Sword blue bowl shaving soap
  • Random "hot chocolate" mug acting as a shaving bowl
  • Gillette super adjustable
  • Gillette Super Thin blade on day three of it's life
  • Some of Nanny's new skin serum
  • A squirt or two of Crabtree and Evelyn Limes

The shave actually went "OK", but the soap was just rubbish. The brush performed adequately - it agitated the soap and produced a lather - I just don't think the lather provided any more benefits than just using water!

The rest of the kit performed really well :)

2011-11-21.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll swap out the soap for some of the C&E cream I've brought with me :D

Interesting. I was planning to go back at some point and do a cheap brush, Boots cream, Boots DE shave and see how harsh the razor really is - but since I seem to have abandoned DE for the straight/RG option I think it won't happen now.

Dr Rick said:
Interesting. I was planning to go back at some point and do a cheap brush, Boots cream, Boots DE shave and see how harsh the razor really is - but since I seem to have abandoned DE for the straight/RG option I think it won't happen now.

Well, I didn't go the whole hog and swap the razor at the same time. I don't have a problem with the brush - it's not as nice as my badgers, for example: it didn't hold as much water and lather, but it performed OK.

Maybe I'll try swapping the razor out for the cheapy Boots brand one, loaded with a Yellow for tomorrows shave - see how that performs :D

Back
Top Bottom