Saturday 7st November to Friday 13th November 2020.

Cheers for the info PFox, sounds like a good soap but if the scent profile is strong I will give it a miss as anything with even half a scent seems to make my face burn! Thanks though.
Cedarwood and Patchouli essential oil combination may be ok for you. They both have no natural allergens. It might be that you react to a particular allergen.

And appropriately themed 'I want to be elected', welcome to my shave

IMG_20201109_114753.jpg

Harry SE Truman - Colonial General V2
Franklin not a DE Roosevelt - Stainless Mongoose
Franklin Pierce - Feather Super Professional
George W Brush - Groom Room brush
Adpraham Lincoln - ADP soap
Herbert Smoover - L'Oréal moisturiser

I started this week hoping to elect one razor to the position of President of the United Shaves of the Cabinet. The Zen of razors and the slayer of beards. So off I went to work armed with perhaps my two favourite SE's in the Colonial V2 and the stainless Mongoose. Unfortunately I spent two nights at home and forcibly persuaded myself (didn't take too much persuasion to be honest) to use the original brass and stainless Generals. Bad move. A bad bad move. Like, a really really bad bad move.

I now faced a new dilemma as the original Colonials are Stonkingly good, but to get back on track this shave was all about the V2 vs The Mongoose. To put them on a level playing field both sported the same Feather Super Pro blades and prep being the same for both. Shave one half with one and, state the obvious, the other half with the other.

And, shave away, but before that, a quick word for all those with a legality to vote. ADP and the Groom Room whiskey barrel brush. Fucking brilliant.

Thank you

My face is kind of split between ugly and effing ugly but fortunately both sides tend to shave much the same. I know some have favourable sides and in my case both are favourable. Mrs Satanfriendly would probably argue that neither are.

The Mongoose. A rather big and ugly kind of SE razor which speaks its mind and just goes and gets the job done with a 'lacking in finesse' methodology. Originally bought from the BST and carries a kind of love/hate relationship as many scold it while many heap praise. For me it is one totally competent piece of kit which delivers time after time irrespective of which blade it is paired with and always feels secure. It totally lacks that edginess which makes one think 'this is about to cut me open'. On this occasion it was no different. Give it the sharpest blade in the pack and get the closest of shaves. No shit, no hassle, job done.

The General V2. The polar opposite. Slim, tactile and doesn't feel like some large cumbersome candidate in team shave 2020. Bought from new and by far the most expensive bit of facial hair removing implement I have ever owned. Was it worth the outlay? Too damn right. In every way it presents itself physically, that is exactly how it shaves. Throw it around and voila ici. Bum fluff one minute and shaved to perfection the next. Does exactly what it says on the cardboard box and the bits of paper it comes with. No poop, no fuss, job done

And the votes are in.

And the monkey says 'Fuck this shaving malarkey. I declare it a draw'.

But wait there are cries of malpractice against the V2 with an apparent vote by a long deceased jar of Vulfix Persian Musk which met its demise some five years ago and apparent multiple votes by a number of Japanese blades who are claiming that a pack of 20 equates to 20 individual votes. These have all been rejected by the Colonial party as being untrue and without evidence. The Stainless Mongoosers (who gained success in the non-rust belt) have stated that they will be lodging legal challenges with the supreme shaving court. Watch this space.

'Excuse me. But what about us?' are the cries from the First Colonial General V1 party.

After a general consensus across the board it has been decided that there will be no president elect and in fact the shaving cabinet will be run as an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune with equality across the board and a leader based on a rota system.

Was it a good shave? Bloody right it was. As smooth as buggery and as content as winning an election (or not?). BBS all the way. Babe's Bottom Smooth
No one seems to know where these were made, maybe China or even Japan?.

You want made in Japan? Then have some Aldious.

'Ahem' says the new boy in town the Ikon.

Prep: Cella Gel pre barba
Bowl: Ceramiche di Sicilia
Brush: Carnavis & Richardson TI with Declaration B2 knot
Soap: Boellis Panama 1924
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional
AS: Floid Blue

SOTD_20201110.jpg

Best Regards
Marco

I was so pleased with the Ach Brito Mogno shaving soap I wanted to try the cream and, at long last (it's taken nearly 3 weeks), it arrived from Valencia. So this was today's shave...
  • Pre-wash with Ach Brito Glyce Lime soap and a soak with a hot waffle towel
  • Ach Brito Mogno shaving cream, lathered in a Steve Woodhead ceramic scuttle with a PAA 'The Peregrino' synthetic brush
  • Shaved with a Rose Gold Octagonal EJDE89 and a Gillette Nacet blade
  • Post-shave alum and cold rinse, followed by a splash of Aqua Velva
A very very very nice shaving experience!
MognoCream1.jpg
Stay safe and happy shaves all;)(y):)

Last edited:
No one seems to know where these were made, maybe China or even Japan?
M - I'd be interested to know too - I have one of these - I think - perhaps - we bought them at the same time on bst here? Three were up for offer - if I recall. This is my 'funeral razor' - in the sense - if I need to look well-shaven - and avoid any chance - at all - of damaging my face - nobody wants to bleed on their best suit - this is what I use - with the twin blade - which takes the razor from the simply excellent - to the sublime. I wish I had picked up more of the blades - before they became harder to find - and just stupidly expensive. A few left in the current dispenser - and an unopened blister pack. Rationed - for sure. Cheers - I.

M - I'd be interested to know too - I have one of these - I think - perhaps - we bought them at the same time on bst here? Three were up for offer - if I recall. This is my 'funeral razor' - in the sense - if I need to look well-shaven - and avoid any chance - at all - of damaging my face - nobody wants to bleed on their best suit - this is what I use - with the twin blade - which takes the razor from the simply excellent - to the sublime. I wish I had picked up more of the blades - before they became harder to find - and just stupidly expensive. A few left in the current dispenser - and an unopened blister pack. Rationed - for sure. Cheers - I.
Hi Iain,
I refer to mine as a “Special Occasion” Razor. To maintain blade stock I use it sparingly.For days out, I have been using an Occams Oren which delivers a very forgiving quality Shave.
Mike

Date:- 11 November 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (tallow)
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 v4.0 / Voskhod #5
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (30 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Back
Top Bottom