Saturday 26th December to Friday 01th January 2021

31/12/20

Razor - Yaqi Cobbed
Blade - Zorrik Talvar (2)
Brush - Yaqi Tuxedo
Soap - Lea Menthol
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum

Last shave of the the month, well that was a strange year.

Even though I've grown a beard, I still have the occasional neck shave but it'd been over a week or so since my last one, and my neck was pretty itchy as is my face a lot of the time. I've had little motivation to shave off my beard though as it's quite commitment to clear the bath room after hacking it off, so it will be on my face for a while longer I imagine.

Anyway chaps, I hope you all have a great New Year's Eve, however subdued the occasion may be.
Hack it off outside, finish at the sink.

Last shave of 2020

ACtC-3dYbS-4iuvzVUPl1dgHsS4vX-q0PMQQrYFIMe1bZbHN4QN4cLSqGzByS_QuKCkPUS8X4yPw8OYD_N6ofhUszcWigkZnOINKVifOQiav3ap76o4GgYSaMdBqQC8nwMddUgNyhNCdtQqKTVoZYDNr4RctZA=w1200

Wash with L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Ice Cool Face Wash
Lather up with Wickham's 1912 Frankincense & hjm Professional w/Blonde Boar 25mm
Single pass (2 day) shave with RazoRock German Slant & Silver Star Super Stainless (3)
Hot rinse, cold rise, skip the alum ... Novaya Zarya Shipr​

I shaved yesterday with the genuine article: the Merkur 37C. While it was absolutely super-smooth and close enough (after two passes), I lamented that it was not the shave that I remember from my early days of traditional shaving and indeed, Merkur have revised the razor giving it a smoother comb, perhaps smaller blade gap and maybe tweaking the angle.

Tonight: the RazoRock German Slant, reputed to be a tad stronger and more akin to the Merkur 37C that I remember. I have pictures of my old Merkur 37C and it was much toothier than the current offering, much like the RazoRock. Loading the blade was not as straightforward as the Merkur, which you kinda just drop into the top cap lower the rest of the razor onto, give it a little jiggle and nip it up - whichever way you look at it, it will appear wrong, but it's not. The RazoRock did need a little fiddling with, which is not easy as there is nothing to line up with ... but I got it. Both sides felt the same and neither side had any scratchiness.

Saints be praised!!!

That is the shave that I remember. Single pass, super-smooth, zero-irritation. I skipped the alum, not that I actually need it for mopping up weepers but I like to get a sense memory of how irritation-free a shave might be. This shave, I knew was absolute zero and much of that is thanks to the Silver Star Super Stainless. Onto a splash of Russian Chypre. браво!

Summary of my thoughts around the Silver Star Super Stainless, which I fell in love with from the first shave. After the first few strokes, it was fully face-stropped and because a super-smooth blade for me. I rated it quite highly off that, but held back that it needed to continue that performance throughout the shaving life of the blade (3-4 shaves) and across different razors. It has delivered. And so, I have revised that initial rating up to a 9/10 for me ... up there with Treet DuraSharp (Yellow), PermaSharp Super (Russian), VOSKHOD, Sputnik & Super Shave X. It reminded me most of the Super Shave X or a less feisty PermaSharp Super.

What else? Wickham's 1912 Frankincense ... nice!

maxresdefault.jpg

^ Not me ... I shaved :cool:

Thankfully, that's the last of 2020. I'll wish you all well for the approaching hour and for the coming year - celebrate carefully and keep safe.

Next shave up Brian!

Well, not quite, I had one on Tuesday, but because of operator error, it wasn't one of my best. My razor was tugging and dragging. I couldn't believe the 7 O'Clock black had dropped off the cliff after one superb shave, and it hadn't, as I finished the first pass I put my razor down on the sink and heard a little tinkle... guess who hadn't tightened the head up after rinsing out after his last shave...:censored:

So, here is my final shave of this dismal year, and in one way at least I'm finishing on a high...

20201231_180127.jpg

Proraso Pre,
Signature Danum,
Cadman Carbon Tux,
ikon OSS,
Gillette (India) 7 O'Clock black (3),
Nivea 2 Phase,
Barts Balms Unscented
Czech and Speake 88

A fantastic performance from @BrianH 's wonderful Patchouli Danum . Just perfection in a tin, the superb lathering performance that we have come to expect from Brian's soaps, plus an opulent scent. Lovely stuff.

3 passes for a BBS face feeler. I'm so impressed with the Indian 7 O'Clock blades I've been using, thanks @Boycie83 for sending me down that particular branch of the rabbit warren...

Hardly an indication from the A/S and the Balm was probably superfluous, but I need all the moisturisation I can get these days so it's all good.

A good spray of the Czech and Speake "88" parfum and I am silky smooth and smelling great, which seems a bit of a waste in Tier 4, but SWMBO loves the C&S, so it's not really wasted.

Have a good, safe NYE gents, however you choose to spend it.

Well, not quite, I had one on Tuesday, but because of operator error, it wasn't one of my best. My razor was tugging and dragging. I couldn't believe the 7 O'Clock black had dropped off the cliff after one superb shave, and it hadn't, as I finished the first pass I put my razor down on the sink and heard a little tinkle... guess who hadn't tightened the head up after rinsing out after his last shave...:censored:

So, here is my final shave of this dismal year, and in one way at least I'm finishing on a high...

View attachment 62670

Proraso Pre,
Signature Danum,
Cadman Carbon Tux,
ikon OSS,
Gillette (India) 7 O'Clock black (3),
Nivea 2 Phase,
Barts Balms Unscented
Czech and Speake 88

A fantastic performance from @BrianH 's wonderful Patchouli Danum . Just perfection in a tin, the superb lathering performance that we have come to expect from Brian's soaps, plus an opulent scent. Lovely stuff.

3 passes for a BBS face feeler. I'm so impressed with the Indian 7 O'Clock blades I've been using, thanks @Boycie83 for sending me down that particular branch of the rabbit warren...

Hardly an indication from the A/S and the Balm was probably superfluous, but I need all the moisturisation I can get these days so it's all good.

A good spray of the Czech and Speake "88" parfum and I am silky smooth and smelling great, which seems a bit of a waste in Tier 4, but SWMBO loves the C&S, so it's not really wasted.

Have a good, safe NYE gents, however you choose to spend it.
Thanks Rob, All The Best for 2021

And for my final theme of this certainly different 2020 I give you 'The best of the best'

IMG_20201231_194739.jpg

In the words of my youngest granddaughter the best way to describe this past year is '2020, you're poo poo'

Best razor - Colonial General V2
Best blade - Feather Super Professional
Best brush - Steven Jagger 30mm Cashmere
Best soap - Martin De Candre Rose
Best balm - L'Occitane Cade
Best scent - C&S 88

What a better way to end the year than with my 'Shave of the year' individual category winners. And what a great way to see out 2020 and all what it brought with it, in all the wrong ways.

Let's have 2021 bring more hope and optimism with it than this past 365 days. Saying that there were a lot of things I achieved and learnt because of all the restrictions.

A new garden
A new style cellar
How to set up a guitar
How to dye my wife's hair
How to cut my wife's hair
How to shave better

And how to enjoy the peace and serenity all of you have brought to this little place on the Internet in the midst of everything. You have been sterling and you have given a lot more than just shaving tips to the members here on TSR.

Have a Happy New Year all you shavateers

'Like fuck he did'

And a double header to see you out. First up 'Japanese girly band of the year' and those very talented ladies Band Maid with Domination

And especially for @Digimonkey Aldious and Dominator. I get the impression a little domination from Aldious would bring a wry little smile to his world

And for my final theme of this certainly different 2020 I give you 'The best of the best'

View attachment 62672

In the words of my youngest granddaughter the best way to describe this past year is '2020, you're poo poo'

Best razor - Colonial General V2
Best blade - Feather Super Professional
Best brush - Steven Jagger 30mm Cashmere
Best soap - Martin De Candre Rose
Best balm - L'Occitane Cade
Best scent - C&S 88

What a better way to end the year than with my 'Shave of the year' individual category winners. And what a great way to see out 2020 and all what it brought with it, in all the wrong ways.

Let's have 2021 bring more hope and optimism with it than this past 365 days. Saying that there were a lot of things I achieved and learnt because of all the restrictions.

A new garden
A new style cellar
How to set up a guitar
How to dye my wife's hair
How to cut my wife's hair
How to shave better

And how to enjoy the peace and serenity all of you have brought to this little place on the Internet in the midst of everything. You have been sterling and you have given a lot more than just shaving tips to the members here on TSR.

Have a Happy New Year all you shavateers

'Like fuck he did'

And a double header to see you out. First up 'Japanese girly band of the year' and those very talented ladies Band Maid with Domination

And especially for @Digimonkey Aldious and Dominator. I get the impression a little domination from Aldious would bring a wry little smile to his world

That brush is Beautiful Chris. How do you get along with the Cade Balm was looking earlier and tempted !

That brush is Beautiful Chris. How do you get along with the Cade Balm was looking earlier and tempted !

Thank you. Steve Is a true artist and craftsman

Cade aftershave? I get on wonderful with it. This is something like my 6th tube and I have one aside for when.

It is rather thick and possibly slightly greasy but it settles in to the skin beautifully with really nice moisturising properties

Go on. You know you want

Thank you. Steve Is a true artist and craftsman

Cade aftershave? I get on wonderful with it. This is something like my 6th tube and I have one aside for when.

It is rather thick and possibly slightly greasy but it settles in to the skin beautifully with really nice moisturising properties

Go on. You know you want
Thanks Chris , yes the Aftershave Balm I will get some :)

SOTD, Hogmany 2020

Pre-shave:
Cold water splash.
Soap: The Gentleman's Groom Room - Essence of Scotland: Sweet Gale.
Brush: Shavemac ' The Flat Top' Silvertip.
Razor: Above the Tie - Calypso R1.
Blade: Gillette Platinum (New) (Day 3).
Post: Cold water splash - D. R. Harris Sandalwood Aftershave.
EDC: Jo Malone - Whisky and Cedarwood.

Hogmany (3).jpg

An evening shave, nice, slow, relaxed before I settle down for a beer or 2 and a dram (or 2) for hogmany. I facced a Whisky themed shave - the soap and the EDC both have whisky elements; it was not until after the shave I realised that blue and white was also a colour theme in terms of the soap, the blade packaging, with the nice blue on the Calypso.

Although I shaved late (20:37), I went for a single pass - not sure why - just kept it simple. A DFS with no issues to report.

The D. R. Harris Sandalwood was a Christmas treat - it smells devine and a great post shave feel.

In what has been a challanging year (I have no illusions that my year has been better than many),during those difficult days, shaving has kept me sane - the ceremony and the routine, and not least the friendship and fellowship from TSR. As ever, I have learned a lot, and have laughed out loud, a lot, too. Thank you all for that.

All the very, very, best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom