Saturday 13th November to Friday 19th of November of 2021.

Thursday November 18, 2021
Razor: One Blade Core
Blade: Feather
Brush: JT Hybrid/Boar
Soap: Highland Springs Forge
AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
AS 2: Nivea Deep
Fragrance: Paco Rabanne 1 Million
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,107

Figured I'd take the 3 new to me things for a spin. The soap was a nice scent but not what I expected but a nice bright scent. The slickness was extremely good. Even residual slickness had me grab a cloth to get traction on my neck when skin stretching. The Brush was a pleasure to use and comfortable in the handle. The knot is a little floppy for me but I adjusted technique and am very happy with it and the connection it gives me. The One Blade was easy to use and got me a close shave. Just on the fence about a razor that will train me to do the exact opposite of what we learn here about proper pressure. Had to really apply pressure to get it to cut for me. I'll need some more shaves with it and check on the blades availability and longevity. Very thankful for the new additions to the den and hope all have a great day !
IMG_20211117_203745176_HDR.jpg

52C7419F-AB22-410A-8C8C-AB5C10B8F3C6.jpeg

SOTD: 18/11/2021

Razor: Rockwell 6s plate 3
Blade: Astra SP, 1st use by
Brush: AkkaWoodnResin Synthetic
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: A&E Barbiere Sofisticato Croap
Aftershave: A&E Barbiere Sofisticato Aftershave
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

I was looking forward to trying the Rockwell 6s but skeptical about just how good it could really be. I shouldn’t have been! It was so smooth and efficient I wasn’t sure it was taking anything off at first, no nicks or irritation, and as close to a two pass BBS as I’ve got, (I still had a 3 pick up pass). I genuinely think if I’d used a feather blade or no. 4 plate with this blade I could have been 2 and done. It’s going no where and is right up there in the top 3 of I’m my collection!

Sotd-18-11-21.png
This morning -

razor - ATT SE1 Calypso
blade - Feather Pro (3)
brush - Simpson Special best
soap - Haslinger sheep
post - witch hazel
a/s - Brut
balm - L'Oreal Hydra.

Three rubbish shaves in a row - and that is not right. My skin feels raw and is upset about something I've been doing to it. Most likely a problem with the type of blade or the combination of it with this razor. I'll give my face a day off tomorrow and re-address the issue come Saturday.
Luego - I.

DsLEDuk.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Cream: Panacrema Nuàvia Rossa
Razor: Merkur Mergress XL (2)
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Vitos Tobacco Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Boellis Panama 1924 EdT

An Italian tabacco-themed shave - it was sublime.
Of all the wonderful DE blades from the golden era, the Personna Super Platinum Chrome is close to my favourite. I slightly favour it over its more fabled predecessor, the Personna 74.

SOTD 20.jpg

Soap – TOBS Mr Taylors
Brush – Vie Long Synthetic 24mm
Razor – Rockwell 6C (#4)
Blade – Personna ( Israeli )
A/S – Faberge Aquatonic
A/S Balm – Lea 3 in 1

This shave was a little underwhelming as the cream seems to have deteriorated. The scent is still ok and it lathers up great but in use it's dissipating more than I remember and just not performing as it used to. I’ve had it a couple of years so maybe it's to be expected but I haven’t noticed deterioration like this in other creams that I’ve had for longer. The tube is nearly empty so I won’t waste my time with the remainder.
I had no skin issues and the finish was excellent so it wasn’t all bad.

Have a good day and enjoy your shaves.

Thur 19th November

Stirling Syn 26mm
MWF
Claymore Evolution
Kai Pink ( 1 )
Floid Vigoroso A/S Lotion

Needing a blade change I tried again to fit a Kai blade to this Razor, somehow I got this one on the posts after a big struggle.Very pleased at execution of the Shave and the finish. Will be interested to see how further Shaves go.

8C18287B-EB51-485F-B13F-C12F5580B083.jpeg

Thursday 18th November

AM-JKLXKIcMs5tpVZpvNVXUjcvvGtAQuK8DiMnrsASMkHDDXkGPLtMgOLqLfrhJZYhPAYDmSy23EtSWUy2JV1eXzt9gv6zQbntyw-CShJhp397IZrvot55Fbr3RVf2Xc9Ts7f7rtnaBW72DZHi56dhh1eRUZeg=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Boots Albany Mentholated (Vintage) Shaving Bowl
Muhle Silvertip Fibre 33K256 23mm
MARS Razor w/Number 9 Plate
Super Shave X (2) SE
Puig Quorum Aftershave

My run through all the plates on this MARS razor almost came to a halt ...

Earlier today, I was made aware of an issue with this razor whereby the cap can inadvertendly flick off. It has not happened to me, but upon close inspection I could get mine to do it if I tightened up just a little more than I usually do. What happens is, the plastic is of a good quality and becomes polished with use and so when the screw is nipped up, it causes the end of the screw to ride up and can (with a little effort on the cap) flick the cap off along with the blade and likely to do so in a place where you do managed to apply a little extra pressure to the cap, like under the nose or just inside the nostrils - certainly places you DO NOT want the blade flying out!

I spoke to Rob at MARS and he was thankful for folks raising this issue and suggested that a small indent where the screw nips up would be sufficient to keep it in place. He's right, although I went a little further and drilled out a hole for the end of the screw to bed into. I have suggested that future versions could include a metal threaded hole to receive the screw end, taking the razor from a good (enough) mechanism to a precision mechanism.

It's all part of the fun of trying out a razor that has so far only shaved the maker's face ... and now a good few of us (chimps) are using it, we're finding all the ways to misuse and break it!

So, the shave ... plate 9!

I've mulled over and over how to say this, but what it comes down to is this: plates 1, 2 & 3 seem to have a relationship with each other that they do not with 4 or 5. I find 2 the median best, as 1 is just too mild while 3 gives the same shave but without the refinement of 2. Likewise, plates 6,7 & 8 seem to have the same relationship with 7 that median best and little relationship otherwise to 5 ... or, 9. I don't quite know how else to put that.

Anyway ...

While plate 8 gave a capable gap to work with, the gap between plate 9 and the blade seems positively yawning! The shave was the first time I found that angle made a difference and most definitely, the danger was removed when the angle was inclined back towards the cap. I did not experience that subtlety with plate 8 and certainly not 7. My guess is 10 will also be ... and more so. It might well be that 10 amplifies that behaviour and so it becomes more obvious to keep the razor orientation from the cap rather than simply what feels like an intuitive angle.

Super single-pass shave with just a little heart-fluttering every time I veered off that perfect angle, made especially so by the most spectacular vintage soap and a good splash of my favourite scented aftershave to finish.

Champion! As we say in these parts.

Today, I can safely say that I'm definitely getting some of my smell sensation back. I discovered this during my morning rituals, which to be fair wasn't that bad for me, good job the missus still has no sense of smell or taste though. :poop:

On the up-side, it meant I could get a slight whiff of the soap as I lathered and the odd smell of the American Blend splash for half of the morning.

I think I've done this combination of razor and blade (Lupo and Perma sharp) enough and need a change tomorrow.!

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_083934__01.jpg
    IMG_20211118_083934__01.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom