Saturday 09th January to Friday 15th January 2021

SOTD 10/01: Catie's Bubbles Irish Coffee ; Epsilon Butterscotch 26mm White Horse Hair ; Merkur 34C HD ; Super Shave X Platinum

210110-SOTD.jpg

A shave for David....

IMG_20210110_114222.jpgIMG_20210110_114139.jpg

Carbon CX 316 R2 (+ plate)
Polsilver
Oumo Manchurian Finest
Martin De Candre Unscented
Myrsol Emulsion
EDT - Guerlain LIDGE
Soundtrack - David Bowie Station To Station

First shave with the Carbon CX + plate (via the pass around on ATG fourm) and first impressions are all positive.
I do own the Carbon CX with the original plate and there is definitely more blade feel but still very comfortable. Efficiency was improved too.
A great shave with very satisfying results.

I had to pop out to the opticians today so I thought I'd give myself a mood boost and reached for Guerlain LIDGE. Any excuse to smell like a tarts window box.

On a personal note. It's been a tough week (I know it has been for many of you). I'd like to thank those who took the time to send me your words of comfort and support, either publicly or via a personal message. It means a lot. THANK YOU.

On this day in 2016 we lost David Bowie. A genius, nuff said. You are missed...

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_114222.jpg
    IMG_20210110_114222.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210110_114139.jpg
    IMG_20210110_114139.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Brush- Ex s Medium Jock
Soap- OSP Neroli
Razor- Progress (1.5) (3)
Blade- GSB #2
Post- TOBS AS Sandalwood Gel

3rd shave with the Progress and I'm really enjoying it.

1.5 ... then 3? How's that (kinda reverse logic) method working out?
It's doing an excellent job for me Paul thank you. Really pleased with the way my shaves are going .

A shave for David....

View attachment 63071View attachment 63072

Carbon CX 316 R2 (+ plate)
Polsilver
Oumo Manchurian Finest
Martin De Candre Unscented
Myrsol Emulsion
EDT - Guerlain LIDGE
Soundtrack - David Bowie Station To Station

First shave with the Carbon CX + plate (via the pass around on ATG fourm) and first impressions are all positive.
I do own the Carbon CX with the original plate and there is definitely more blade feel but still very comfortable. Efficiency was improved too.
A great shave with very satisfying results.

I had to pop out to the opticians today so I thought I'd give myself a mood boost and reached for Guerlain LIDGE. Any excuse to smell like a tarts window box.

On a personal note. It's been a tough week (I know it has been for many of you). I'd like to thank those who took the time to send me your words of comfort and support, either publicly or via a personal message. It means a lot. THANK YOU.

On this day in 2016 we lost David Bowie. A genius, nuff said. You are missed...

5 years ago, how it flys.

65F18FD2-A9E1-4BB1-9EEF-C30B6F6DF748.jpeg

I remember, 5 years ago waking up excited because my clear vinyl copy of Blackstar was due to be delivered that day.

I went downstairs to make my coffee and turned the radio on and Heroes was playing, which I hummed along to, oblivious.

And then the presenter announced the news, and I was just devastated. Bowie had been the soundtrack to my life, omnipresent in my musical growth, I even listened to his wilderness years stuff. Then came a triumphant return to form with The Next Day and I was so looking forward to Blackstar.

Then the Postie brought it and I couldn't bring myself to listen to it for weeks.

To this day I find Blackstar hard to listen to, as great an album as it is.

Pre: Proraso green
Soap: P&B Star Noir
Brush: Cadman Carbon Tuxedo
Razor: ikon OSS
Blade: Gillette (India) 7 O'clock Black (5)
Smelly: Copycat Oud Intense.

A great shave, the Indian 7 O'Clock continues to impress. The scent of the Proraso overwhelmed the Star Noir for the first pass, but then the exotic fragrance came through on the second and final passes.

Last edited:
20210110_114819.jpg
SOTD 10th Jan Vintage Month

Razor - Gillette Tech - no idea which year
Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword #3
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap - OSP Urban Viking
Post - Mennen Skin Bracer and L'Oréal Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap

I've never really clicked with the Tech, i find it bit too light, too delicate and the Star has always outperformed it. And so for me i didn't have too much expectation for the shave. However, I'm happy to be proved wrong. Lovely 3 passes, very, very mild with a very acceptable DFS finish. From memory, the best shave I've had using the Tech.
The soap was outstanding yet again and the post shave combo is currently my favourite.
I'm looking forward to another shave with the Tech this month and I hope I get proved wrong again.
Stay safe peeps and enjoy this great hobby we have.

5 years ago, how it flys.

View attachment 63078

I remember, 5 years ago waking up excited because my clear vinyl copy of Blackstar was due to be delivered that day.

I went downstairs to make my coffee and turned the radio on and Heroes was playing, which I hummed along to, oblivious.

And then the presenter announced the news, and I was just devastated. Bowie had been the soundtrack to my life, omnipresent in my musical growth, I even listened to his wilderness years stuff. Then came a triumphant return to form with The Next Day and I was so looking forward to Blackstar.

Then the Postie brought it and I couldn't bring myself to listen to it for weeks.

To this day I find Blackstar hard to listen to, as great an album as it it.

Pre: Proraso green
Soap: P&B Star Noir
Brush: Cadman Carbon Tuxedo
Razor: ikon OSS
Blade: Gillette (India) 7 O'clock Black (5)
Smelly: Copycat Oud Intense.

A great shave, the Indian 7 O'Clock continues to impress. The scent of the Proraso overwhelmed the Star Noir for the first pass, but then the exotic fragrance came through on the second and final passes.

Yes the same mate. I walked into the office on the Monday morning and a colleague told me. I couldn't take it in. I'd been listening to Blackstar over the weekend and absolutely loving it.
I haven't listened to it for a few years. I won't be listening to it for a good while yet. Luckily he left us with a massive back catalogue.

Yes the same mate. I walked into the office on the Monday morning and a colleague told me. I couldn't take it in. I'd been listening to Blackstar over the weekend and absolutely loving it.
I haven't listened to it for a few years. I won't be listening to it for a good while yet. Luckily he left us with a massive back catalogue.
It's the finest album of his latter years. It has everything. The title track is haunting, there's a nod to Ziggy with the Nadsac language of ‘Girl Loves Me' right through to the harmonica of ‘I Can't Give Everything Away'. It's no coincidence, to me, anyway, that the harmonica resembles its use and key in ‘A New Career in a New Town' from the Low album. I do still have problems listening to ‘Dollar Days' though; even after these years.

For my first entry of this new shaving week my shave carried the theme 'The adventures and mishaps of Jeremy Bear'

IMG_20210109_194945.jpg

Jeremy's sore head - Stainless Colonial V2
Jeremy's broken arm - Schick Proline
Jeremy's sore shoulder - Yaqi Mew Brown
Jeremy's femur issue - Signature Soaps Hibernia
Jeremy's sore knee - Profumo De Firenze

Jeremy has over time become a Guinea pig for a couple of doctors in training, better known as the granddaughters. It seems every so often he adopts yet another piece of medical bandaging or a plaster. For my 60th birthday they bought me a 'junior doctor kit' delivered with the words 'Happy birthday granddad, this is for us not you'. God bless them and if they continue with their contempt and disrespect of their granddad, Jeremy will receive his first straight shave. And it won't be kind.

Teddycide

A change of Blade finally in the V2 and my oh my, what a wonderful pairing. The Proline may not have the edge of the Feather but it certainly throws in a very smooth and efficient shave with minimum fuss and maximum delivery. It also goes a long way to cement why I chose the Colonial V2 as my razor of the year 2020.

Seems a couple of weeks when I last used one of @BrianH 's soaps and I have to say his Hibernia is probably the top spot of his wonderful creations from my personal aspect. A lovely choice for this particular shave with its lovely citrus scent. I don't think I have to say anymore with regards to performance because I think most know the story. I do have to say though I do prefer his original labeling with its home made utilitarian charm.

Some time back I started a thread on the Mew Brown knot and just as I was about to get serious and annoy my wife in purchasing one, up pops a most generous offer from @Tony'schin . A few days later after a failed attempt to post it to me on a bank holiday the postie is standing on the doorstep with a little parcel. As new and rather pretty in its two tone finish. A big thank you to Tony and on to the acid test. Super. Very similar to the grey white on the wee whiskey barrel and face lathering made easy. Another brush with a massive plus. And to say that only a couple of years back I was saying 'I don't understand brushes' and viewed them as being more a function than anything else. Roll forward a couple of years and I think I am starting to understand this brush think a little better.

Armed with a bunch of quality shaving weaponry and there was only ever going to be one outcome. Perfection.

Yes ladies, that's it, down here. Mr Smooooooooooooooooth

Chaps, chapesses and people of this great place, have a great week ahead and I wish everyone, families, friends and all a safe week ahead.

To welcome in the new week it is back to Aldious as everyone needs some talented Japanese eye candy. And @Digimonkey you are right. That turquoise bass guitar looks shite

Sunday 10th January

ACtC-3e8TjJX0rEMT3gdZracLNrnMhyguLtNGQ-t2mmqTdmSR5_HXPw3q1ouHw1-ZNwIiHiewkNYyCqVbOc-vEpevWvpltLazGJ7M6hFAGjO3ZtLHgBk3SguxtlHTol1P-e7w8HiUcF4Os_rC2_H-Bsi-5fPGw=w1200

Wash with L'Oreal Men Expert Pure Charcoal
Lather up with the mighty Wickham's 1912 South Sea Spray & hjm Professional (Boar)
Single pass shave with mirror polished Muhle Rocca & Treet Platinum (3)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & Brut Oceans​

Ahhh ... third run with this Treet Platinum and it recaptured that perfection of two days ago. Last night was in a RazoRock Game Changer and it was good, but the pairing of the Rocca (as per two nights ago) and the Treet Platinum is indeed sheer perfection, for me.

My Sunday theme is usually around a citrus scent, be it Citrus Musk or citrus toilet blocks (Erasmic, Brut or Derby) but today, I felt a bit Oceanic ... and so broke out the South Sea Spray and whipped up the froth with the hjm mop, which smells sublime now it's drying off. Brut Oceans finished that theme off lovely! Oh, the smell on that brush < prod @JohnnyO to use a boar when you get around to using yours :love:

I'm going to run on with this and go with a vintage Old Spice shave tomorrow ... soap and aftershave.

Last edited:
For my first entry of this new shaving week my shave carried the theme 'The adventures and mishaps of Jeremy Bear'

View attachment 63045

Jeremy's sore head - Stainless Colonial V2
Jeremy's broken arm - Schick Proline
Jeremy's sore shoulder - Yaqi Mew Brown
Jeremy's femur issue - Signature Soaps Hibernia
Jeremy's sore knee - Profumo De Firenze

Jeremy has over time become a Guinea pig for a couple of doctors in training, better known as the granddaughters. It seems every so often he adopts yet another piece of medical bandaging or a plaster. For my 60th birthday they bought me a 'junior doctor kit' delivered with the words 'Happy birthday granddad, this is for us not you'. God bless them and if they continue with their contempt and disrespect of their granddad, Jeremy will receive his first straight shave. And it won't be kind.

Teddycide

A change of Blade finally in the V2 and my oh my, what a wonderful pairing. The Proline may not have the edge of the Feather but it certainly throws in a very smooth and efficient shave with minimum fuss and maximum delivery. It also goes a long way to cement why I chose the Colonial V2 as my razor of the year 2020.

Seems a couple of weeks when I last used one of @BrianH 's soaps and I have to say his Hibernia is probably the top spot of his wonderful creations from my personal aspect. A lovely choice for this particular shave with its lovely citrus scent. I don't think I have to say anymore with regards to performance because I think most know the story. I do have to say though I do prefer his original labeling with its home made utilitarian charm.

Some time back I started a thread on the Mew Brown knot and just as I was about to get serious and annoy my wife in purchasing one, up pops a most generous offer from @Tony'schin . A few days later after a failed attempt to post it to me on a bank holiday the postie is standing on the doorstep with a little parcel. As new and rather pretty in its two tone finish. A big thank you to Tony and on to the acid test. Super. Very similar to the grey white on the wee whiskey barrel and face lathering made easy. Another brush with a massive plus. And to say that only a couple of years back I was saying 'I don't understand brushes' and viewed them as being more a function than anything else. Roll forward a couple of years and I think I am starting to understand this brush think a little better.

Armed with a bunch of quality shaving weaponry and there was only ever going to be one outcome. Perfection.

Yes ladies, that's it, down here. Mr Smooooooooooooooooth

Chaps, chapesses and people of this great place, have a great week ahead and I wish everyone, families, friends and all a safe week ahead.

To welcome in the new week it is back to Aldious as everyone needs some talented Japanese eye candy. And @Digimonkey you are right. That turquoise bass guitar looks shite

Cheers Chris. I'm going to do a limited edition variation of Hybernia.
My daughters adopt the same strategy buying gifts for me that they conveniently use! Wonder if I bought them some shaving gear I would get it. Second thoughts they regularly nick mine!

Back
Top Bottom