PreShave: Warm to hot water—most from the boiled kettle, some from the tap
Cream: Santa Maria Novella
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled T&H cream bowl
Razor: Futur (3.0, 2.5, 2)
Blade Astra Platinum (2)
Post Shave: Alum

Fragrance: Floris 71/71

It was a good way to start a Sunday morning; enjoy the rest of the weekend, folks.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- The Club (A&E) ~ Charlatans Traipse
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #5
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

10/01/21
Vintage Month - Razor #10
Pre: Facial scrub with Whickams pre shave soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Ever Ready 1912 Bathroom set 1951
Blade: GEM Carbon (2 and binned)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red
Wk 2 (2) Sun.JPG
Hmmm!
A wonderful slick lather from the Proraso and Faux Horsey Yaqi,
I decided to give the GEM Carbon blade another try, this time in the Ally handled 1951 Ever Ready, which is a wonderful shaver.
I don't really get it, this Blade just does nothing for me, it felt quite rough throughout the shave, although, it was not uncomfortable.
I completed 3 full passes and still only managed a DFS finish, therefore it has been banished to the blade bank and i do not think i will try them again.
The shave was saved by a nice post shave routine and the satisfaction of binning the blade.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

10/01/21
Vintage Month - Razor #10
Pre: Facial scrub with Whickams pre shave soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Ever Ready 1912 Bathroom set 1951
Blade: GEM Carbon (2 and binned)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red
View attachment 63053
Hmmm!
A wonderful slick lather from the Proraso and Faux Horsey Yaqi,
I decided to give the GEM Carbon blade another try, this time in the Ally handled 1951 Ever Ready, which is a wonderful shaver.
I don't really get it, this Blade just does nothing for me, it felt quite rough throughout the shave, although, it was not uncomfortable.
I completed 3 full passes and still only managed a DFS finish, therefore it has been banished to the blade bank and i do not think i will try them again.
The shave was saved by a nice post shave routine and the satisfaction of binning the blade.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

I have a real soft-spot for the late 1912s in the same way that I do for the late Techs.

What a shame about the blade. When you get good carbon blades, it's a real buzz. I've had lovely shaves with the Treet carbons and PAL blues, and I have a personal stash of NOS Damaskeenes (yes, those Damaskeenes) which are sheer heaven, but probably not when used every day. I'm still on my first one with 20+ shaves off it as it responds to stropping. Back to the regular GEMs, then? I suppose on that ... stropping? Carbon blades do respond.

There were some PAL blues doing the rounds on eBay recently. I got a good stash, but it transpired that they were probably not for shaving. That was a very rough blade indeed. Very sharp, but boy did I feel it. I had a couple of shaves with it and while I might write up the shave as invigorating, if I was not in that frame of mind I would have written it up as worst shaves ever ... even more so than the Tiger carbon DEs. It just goes to show what a big difference the PTFE coatings do make. That, or we're just a bunch of softies nowadays.

SR shave #10

Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish Point
Thater 4125/1 2 Band
DRH Windsor
Alum
Proraso Green splash
DRH Aftershave Milk

Solid 2 pass shave. Bought the DRH from Connaught and this is still the old ‘Tallow 2nd' formulae but performance was still the same old good. Would be interested to try the new formula but shall have to wait!

I am using just the one soap per week to really dial it in as I have found lather to be super important for the success of SR shaves- needs to be slick! Last week I was using B&M Waves and that was certainly slicker than the DRH, but I think more cushion with the DRH.

I also honed this razor from bevel set to finishing on the Naniwa 12k and CrOx and am pretty have with the results... DFS!

525362E3-9DCA-4000-A30E-FE46CB4C4606.jpeg

Sunday 10th

OSP Fougere
RazoRock BC
Face lather
Yaqi Katana SE
Permasharp Stainless SE
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Pitralon Classic after shave

I hadn't used the OSP for quite some time; and it was a joy to work with. A perfect balance of cushion and slickness for the Katana.

So. The maiden voyage with the Yaqi razor. I approached this with equal parts trepidation and excitement. The former based on the blade exposure; and the second...well, it's a new razor!

I try not to use hyperbole, but I can't remember such an efficient shave since the early heady days of the R41. Long, slow, light strokes actually had me BBS by two passes; the third was an affectation. This wee razor has a perfect balance of weight and manoeuvrability. The smaller head helps here, I feel. Incredibly efficient; but I reckon it could bite with a lapse in concentration. It paired very well with the Permasharp SE blades; and I look forward to using with with some DE ones halved.

A revelation this afternoon then. My face is like glass.
C642175C-5AAB-4AD9-93E4-0F229EBADAB6.jpeg

Sunday 10th

OSP Fougere
RazoRock BC
Face lather
Yaqi Katana SE
Permasharp Stainless SE
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Pitralon Classic after shave

I hadn't used the OSP for quite some time; and it was a joy to work with. A perfect balance of cushion and slickness for the Katana.

So. The maiden voyage with the Yaqi razor. I approached this with equal parts trepidation and excitement. The former based on the blade exposure; and the second...well, it's a new razor!

I try not to use hyperbole, but I can't remember such an efficient shave since the early heady days of the R41. Long, slow, light strokes actually had me BBS by two passes; the third was an affectation. This wee razor has a perfect balance of weight and manoeuvrability. The smaller head helps here, I feel. Incredibly efficient; but I reckon it could bite with a lapse in concentration. It paired very well with the Permasharp SE blades; and I look forward to using with with some DE ones halved.

A revelation this afternoon then. My face is like glass.
View attachment 63063
The Katana was my discovery of last year!

Back
Top Bottom