S.O.T.D. Saturday 9th March to Friday 15th March 2013

Kent soap
Vulfix Bodger
#11H service set New, Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack
Barbershop Bay Rum

4 day growth to irritation free BBS, excellent. I've recently dispensed with the XTG pass on my face, just doing WTG and ATG. Neck's gone from 4 passes plus touch-ups to 3 plus touch-ups at the same time. Works very well for me with this razor, which the Saloon Pack is an excellent match for.

Prep: Shower
Scuttle: Schwarzweisskeramik
Brush: Thater 4125/00 2-band Fan
Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street
Razor: Breidora 26 5/8" Full Hollow
Aftershave: TOBS No.74 Victorian Lime

SOTD17_zps82d440a8.jpg

Notes: Quick WTG/XTG 1-pass shave. Very good razor and an acceptably close shave.
Perhaps I don't wet it enough, but I do find that TOBS Jermyn Street cream dries a little quick.

Thursday:

Cella
Semogue 2012 SE
Aristocrat Junior
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Professor Blighty's Green Ginger AS
Nivea ASB

Cella was excellent. The 2012 SE brush really is great with everything, soft soaps, hard soaps and creams no bother. It has just the right amount of backbone so it's fantastic for face lathering. Aristocrat Junior was great as it always is.

Thursday

In the night I had a load of little spots come up on my chin, which keeps happening from time to time, so decided against using the Perma-sharp Super for it's last outing, and swapped in a Personna Lab Blue from another razor, as I personally found the permasharp a touch harsher than the lab blues.

Prep: Shower, face scrub, cold splash

Razor: EJ89
Blade: Lab blue (3)
Soap: Nannys Lemony Lime with Goat Milk bowl lathered
Brush: Omega 10065

My 2nd go with the Nannys, my first try wasn't very good, but it was in poor circumstances, so promised myself I'd get round to it again.

Today was that day. I managed to wean myself off the Cella, and I'm glad I did. It smells just wonderful. After loading the brush for MUCH longer than last time, I proceeded to bowl lather, and found that more water and more product were the difference this time as I managed to make a lovely lather, good enough for probably 3 passes and a touch up, maybe 4. I had a 2 pass, both ATG with touch ups, for a very close but comfortable shave. Thanks Griffo for the sample!

Thursday 14th

sotd14313.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons Tulip 1 super badger brush
Weber POL bulldog handle
Sputnik (1)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Clean shave, just a couple of small weepers on my neck soon stopped with alum block. First shave with a Sputnik very good efficient blade. I've had some from a sampler since Christmas only just got round to trying one for some reason :icon_idea: :icon_exclaim:
The Arlington cream made tons of lather with the little Tulip 1.

Brian

English Red Tip Gillette / Jagger 89L
Vintage Scottish Permasharp
Simspsons Colonel
Ingrams
Barbershop Bay Rum
Boots Freshwood ASB

Shite shave. From the off the red tip & permasharp irritated on the wtg pass so I switched to the 89L with a different permasharp. This was better but still left me sore all round. Bay Rum helped a bit as did the Freshwood balm. Once I get my head round my camera, tripod and light box set-up sorted, every razor I own except from the Jagger will go on BST.

Re: RE: S.O.T.D. Saturday 9th March to Friday 15th March 2013

Gairdner said:
English Red Tip Gillette / Jagger 89L
Vintage Scottish Permasharp
Simspsons Colonel
Ingrams
Barbershop Bay Rum
Boots Freshwood ASB

Shite shave. From the off the red tip & permasharp irritated on the wtg pass so I switched to the 89L with a different permasharp. This was better but still left me sore all round. Bay Rum helped a bit as did the Freshwood balm. Once I get my head round my camera, tripod and light box set-up sorted, every razor I own except from the Jagger will go on BST.

I think it is often the way that if a shave starts badly it will end the same no matter what you do.

I recently tried a blade which turned out to be awful, I quickly switched to a trusty razor and blade combo that was on standby, the result was OK ish. You seem to lose your mojo as soon as it starts to go wrong.

Sorry you had a shite shave, Graeme. I've had nothing but excellent shaves since I... erm... stopped mucking about with vintage razors. Obviously other people's mileage may vary... but I may be joining you on BST. My acquisition disorder seems to have switched to brushes and soaps.

Onward and upward:

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
NF Tubby 1, T&H 1805 cream
ATT Atlas R1, Rapira Swedish (2)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

Smooth and comfortable... set up now for a Thai meal tonight... Mrs SJ's treat, what's not to like?

Today's Shave

sotd14313.jpg

A 4 code 1955 Gillette Red Tip
Feather Blade
Kent BK8 Brush
NSS Arabian Nights Suribachi Bowl lathered
Up shirt creak splash

results BSS WTG :)

I will confess I've had this razor for about 5 months and never looked at the date code until today.:blush:

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Polo by Simpson
Razors: Iwasaki + GEM Micromatic
Soap: Nannys
AS: Stratos
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Lovely soap and AS + the Iwasaki's one smooth razor (easy the smoothest kamisori I ever shaved with) and it wiped three days stubble away like nothing (it was several years since I didn't shave for three days in a row).
0151024x690_zps96c50064.jpg

Mondays SOTD (cheers to MrMagnus for letting me have a go at a vintage Bartmann, fantastic razor, but yet again I now "need" another razor):
0061024x718-1_zps00fbd728.jpg

Thursday

The big day arrived, my Feather AC SS arrived from Connaught Shaving. I have tried shaving with a straight in the past but couldn't really get on with it, the blade always felt blunt and I think I was a bit scared of it.

The Feather turned up and I popped a Pro Guard blade in it, and after close inspection I felt a lot more confident waving this around my face. I just need to work on what hand to use where, my arms seemed to get in the way all the time.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Grapefruit
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Razor: Feather AC SS
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

The shave went much better than expected, I managed a 2 pass shave over all my face, and in a reasonable time. It was nothing like as hard to shave with as a straight, the blade felt massively sharper and the tugging had largely disappeared.

As a first shave with it I am impressed, I didn't even need to finish off with the DE. Not a BBS finish, but I don't think it will be long before it is.

IMG_0676_zps5e3d6fcd.jpg

Fantastic LTB, really glad you liked it. I felt responsible as your enabler, and needed to know you liked it.
Those Proguard blades do inspire confidence don't they?
Every person wanting to try a straight should have a go with one of these in my opinion. :)

Prep: Hot Shower and 3P cream
Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
Soap: Vitos Super Creama
Warm water rinse
Witch Hazel with a touch of Tea Tree / Lime / Almond oil
Cold water rinse
Lime skin food
Proraso Splash

I really nice shave really loving the Vitos and the Red tip a BBS shave topped off with the cooling menthol Proraso splash

THURSDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot flannel
Soap: Nannys French Lavender hard soap
Brush: Simpsons Hive
Razor: Gillette Slim Twist
Blade: Personna 74 (3)
Rinse: Alcolado Glacial
Balm: Castle Forbes AS balm

Good shave tonight. However, decided to try using Alcolado Glacial instead of witch hazel to wipe off the soap.

Here is me immediately after using it.

The_Scream.jpg

Greetings

Friday 15th March 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM 1912 Damaskeene
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue OC
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Body Shop Macca Root Balm

Wonderful shave with my newly acquired Damaskeene.

I did get off to a false start with a new GEM blade that I stropped first on my jeans. It was the roughest blade I have ever tried, clearly I did something wrong and I binned it after a single stroke, or perhaps this only works with carbon blades and just removes the coating from PTFE coated blades making them worse. I suspect the latter!

Regards
Dick

DSC04043.JPG

Back
Top Bottom