S.O.T.D Sat. 8th Dec. to Frid.14th Dec. 2012

MEM Olive shaving cream (sensitive)
Muhle R41 with English Wilkinson Sword (NOS)
EJ boar
Weber ARC
Floid Genuine AS

I used a right angle approach with the R41 and it took a lot of stubble off after a bit of initial dragging. I got a lot of razor burn even with the deftest of touches. Reapplied the cream after the first pass and still lots of burn. You can really feel the blade scithing along your face! Unless I have two weeks' growth I can't see it would be much use to me; maybe on the jawline where I get the toughest stubble if I persevere with it, refining my technique. Ditched the R41 during the second pass and used the Weber. Much more instinctive here and I got a face BBS although neck just scrapes (pun not intended) a DFS. It's quite a mild head and I like the matt finish. Excellent deep knurling, good weight and the length just right for my hand and personal preference.
I haven't used the cream or this particularly type of English Wilkie before so it was a risky shave. The cream works well but the smell is very industrial and quite strong.
First time wearing the Floid as well. Quite nice - subtle, clean, not overpowering. Does have a touch of baby powder about it and the sore skin feels very warm now but doesn't hurt.

NotTheStig said:
I used a right angle approach with the R41 and it took a lot of stubble off after a bit of initial dragging. I got a lot of razor burn even with the deftest of touches.

Is that having the blade at right angles, or the handle at right angles.

Personally I have the handle at right angles to the face, but a lot of people do seem to suggest that you should have the blade at right angles, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

344dypz.jpg

Pre Veleiro soap + Mike's EL AC 2012 shaving soap + Kent BK8 Silvertip + Gillette Superadjustable with Gillette Platinum + TOBS Mr Taylor splash with Proraso balm

An excellent shave, gentlemen! And yes, this brush is really big and soft, but you can get enough lather por 3-4 passes without problem if you have a large tin soap to load like this, hehe

Cheers!

real shave company face scrub
nannies vetyver hard shave soap
isana boar brush
gillette super thin (3)
EJ89
witch hazel
obsession edt

really loving the vetyver soap from sharon - the scent is amazing - all smoke and resin. i rubbed it on my face and had a super thick lather for the 1st pass. i let the lather get thinner on each pass which i found worked well for me. great shave!

NotTheStig said:
I used a right angle approach with the R41

If that's the blade at right angle to your face, you're just asking for trouble. You'd be scraping the hairs off instead of cutting them.

If the teeth of the razor leaves tram lines in the lather, your blade angle is too steep.

Also, as you have aknowledged, using a kit comprising of nearly all "new to you" products is seat of the pants stuff, especially with an R41!!!

Ian

Blade pointing downwards; handle at right angle. I did change the angle a little during the shave. I might give it another go tomorrow with a more familiar cream and blade. Face feels fine now.

NotTheStig said:
Blade pointing downwards; handle at right angle. I did change the angle a little during the shave. I might give it another go tomorrow with a more familiar cream and blade. Face feels fine now.

That's the way I use it as well, I think it is the obvious way to use it.

Geofatboy thinks otherwise though, he has the blade at 90 degrees to his face.

See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1T4ygda-4s

Lose the beard said:
NotTheStig said:

That's the way I use it as well, I think it is the obvious way to use it.

Geofatboy thinks otherwise though, he has the blade at 90 degrees to his face.

See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1T4ygda-4s

I can't watch that, it's horrible. He must have Elephant arse skin on his face to get away with that.

Ian

Thursday 13 December

A great shave this morning - beautiful and smooth and it feels great

Pre: Musgo Oak Moss Glycerin Soap with Muslin Cloth
Prep: Proraso White Pre-Shave
Cream: RazoRock classic
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Merkur 38C Barber Pole
Blade: Super Iridium (on shave no. 3)
Post: Alum Bloc, Proraso White pre-shave, Somerset's After Shave Balm, Arran Aromatics Citrus Bay After Shave Balm
Scent: Acqua di Parma Barbiere Collezione Colonia

Thursday Morning

No shave for me yesterday so plenty of stubble to clear today. Popped a new blade into my new favourite razor and off we went.

The result was a wonderful BBS shave. :) :)

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Eton College
Brush: New Forest Super Badger
Razor: iKon Deluxe Open Comb
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
A/S: TOBS Eton College

IMG_0152.jpg

Today's Birthday shave

mushroomshave.png

Gillette FatBoy (set on No5)
Feather Blade
Kent BK12
Nanny's Silly Soap ( Soft Scotch Pine )

Result BSS WTG

I've come to expect a good shave with Nanny's, and this was no different, Its nice to leave all the nasty chemicals behind, and get a pampered shave with out them :D

LOL The BK12 that's a huge brush that remains moist, allowing a good shave to be obtained.......
once you've satisfied Its thirst for soap that is.:icon_razz:

Afternoon, all.

Thursday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Dorco ST300 (5)
Brush: Vufix Grosvenor
Shave soap: The Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg
A/S: Adidas Team Force
Cologne: Rive Gauche Intense

A very easy, quality shave.

First: Happy birthday John!!