random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

I was mooching on eBay and found this razor. It's the head that caught my attention. Not seen one before - the top caps seems much more inset to the safety bar, to what I am used to & the scallops seem quite subtle.

Wondered if anyone has used one. Guessing its a relatively cheap Chinese product.

1665749782483.png

Reactions: saj
I was mooching on eBay and found this razor. It's the head that caught my attention. Not seen one before - the top caps seems much more inset to the safety bar, to what I am used to & the scallops seem quite subtle.

Wondered if anyone has used one. Guessing its a relatively cheap Chinese product.

View attachment 94823
I've used VERY similar ... it was called the Bevel when I bought mine. The blade sits quite flat and there's a good deal of chatter, but it gives a sound enough shave.

View attachment 94823
That's a nice looking razor, how much it set you back? If you don't mind me asking

That head reminds me a bit of the
muhle r41 , which is classed as an open comb even though it's not really when it's a bit of a hybrid

My gut feeling is that I reckon looking at that razor it won't be as aggressive as the muhle r41 but will have decent efficiency

No idea why but I chuckled when I clicked the link, not many companies that would put a bolt and a wingnut right through the middle of their branding on the inside of a lined box. I understand space saving but that's nuts
That mirror Gillette box got me thinking like I've never seen anything like that, so does make sense that it's a DIY job, kinda good idea in a weird way though lool

That's a nice looking razor, how much it set you back? If you don't mind me asking

That head reminds me a bit of the
muhle r41 , which is classed as an open comb even though it's not really when it's a bit of a hybrid

My gut feeling is that I reckon looking at that razor it won't be as aggressive as the muhle r41 but will have decent efficiency
I've not bought it, although its in my ebay watchlist. Search bamboo razor & it's a mighty £6.99 (y)

Reactions: saj
I've used VERY similar ... it was called the Bevel when I bought mine. The blade sits quite flat and there's a good deal of chatter, but it gives a sound enough shave.

But the Bevel never had grooves in the safety bar:

But the Bevel never had grooves in the safety bar:

Same difference. Presumably whoever made the Bevel is now turning these out ... with a scalloping on the safety bar.

The heads themselves seem to be floating on AliExpress, e.g. "Lemonwald" has one looking just like the one posted and "Color Your Life" has one with scallops kind of like on zamak EJ heads.
I bought one looking like the latter. There was so much blade chatter it was unconmfortable even WTG, so it ended up in the bin.

I should probably also add - some of these very inexpensive heads have really poor QC, which is hardly unexpected. The sellers selling them are also all too happy to start selling silent revisions or perhaps just similar looking products.
For example, I bought a Muhle R41-like head from one seller which was somewhat different from the original (tabs covered, blade clamped near the cutting edge), liked it enough that I wanted another one and what arrived was a much closer R41 copy.
There are heads looking like Yaqi's Knight Helmet heads floating around on there as well, but the one I got had much worse plating then the Yaqi and retainer pin and hole position was a little different, too.

Having just bought a NOS razor in unopened packaging - I continue to be amazed where NOS comes from, always seems to be turning up.

Loving seeing the Acquisitions thread when an unopened beauty is bought and enjoyed.

Guessing as shops and storage facilities close, stuff is just forgotten about :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom